Battery problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris407

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
i bought some cheap rechargeable AA batteries on Ebay, i charged them and put them in the reciever and controller and after a half tank of gas my throttle and steering were acting funny almost like radio interference. i would turn the wheel and the throttle would burst open and the servo was sticking and just not reacting good. so i turned it off and put my Rayovac Platinum rechargeables back in and i never had another problem. could it have been these cheap batteries? it never did that before i put in the cheap batteries and although i was a little sketchy to even throttle up with the battery change to the platinums, i did it anyways and never had the issue again.

Always use good quality rechargeable batteries in your TX/RX not "cheap ones".

very good advice hamz9561. I will be ordering the best ones possible :)

also i feel like i need to purchase a kill switch, what is your advice on that?

I bought some cheap sub c rechargable batteries from ebay once and compared them to some Tenergy sub c cells in order to try to find some good quality low cost cells to rebuild some cordless drill battery packs. The 2200mAh Tenergy cells held about 2250mAh where the "2600mAh" ebay no name cells only held about 700mAh. 2600mAh...What a joke.

It would of almost certainly of been the batteries, always use high quality rechargeable- or even better get either a 4.8v or 6.0v hump pack and charger. :)

Also when possible don't use double A's for your receiver. Get a nice Life or Li-Poly pack. As for a kill switch, cheaper to just wrap a rubber band around the the carb throttle horn and the other side of the carb body. With the rubber band acting as a return spring if you loose contact with your receiver the rubber band will return the engine to idle.

Also when possible don't use double A's for your receiver. Get a nice Life or Li-Poly pack. As for a kill switch, cheaper to just wrap a rubber band around the the carb throttle horn and the other side of the carb body. With the rubber band acting as a return spring if you loose contact with your receiver the rubber band will return the engine to idle.
A fail safe of some kind is always a good idea and should be used. Most newer 2.4 GHz radios have them built in.

As far as RX packs go the NiMH is still the most common type used. A 5-cell 6 volt is the standard and all RC electronics are designed to work on that voltage. Do not use a standard 4 AA cell holder with rechargeable AA for the RX as it will not have enough voltage and will cause problems. Some RXs and servos can work on the higher voltages of the LiPo and LiFE packs, but most will require an external voltage regulator to prevent damage. LiFE packs can work without a regulator but I haven't found many in the capacity that I prefer.

I also would recommend against the rubber band for a throttle return spring. They tend age and break quickly. Use a proper spring for the throttle return.

Good point on the throttle return and fail safe being built into most receivers these days. Forgot to mention there are springs designed for the purpose of being use for throttle return. Using a rubber band until I or it breaks down and I buy a spring. The Life pack I have is 1800mAh hump pack and outputs 6.6 volts which is safe for my receiver and servo's but that may not be the case for others.

Thats great, thanks. i am going to research and upgrade to the proper battery setup per your suggestions. it was absolutely those cheap batteries because i ran her this morning and not a glich except for my new clutch problem which already existed but is now relevent so i am working on it
Here's a photo of how i roll ;)
IMG_1071.JPG

I'll second the motion for using a @Killer RC kill switch and for batteries I'm a big fan of the Eneloop AA batteries. They come pre-charged, hold a charge longer over time, and have decent capacity.

the bumblebee nitro kill switch from killer rc is what i will be ordering and i'll try the batteries too. i know the manager of batteries plus and his top of the line rayovac platinums have been great, however, i am interested in a better setup than AA's if it's some what better.

Buy a hump pack and never look back bud,...besides the longer run time you will have a proper 6v supplied to the system,..your servos will also work much better,..i suggest a good charger with your purchase

Thats great, thanks. i am going to research and upgrade to the proper battery setup per your suggestions. it was absolutely those cheap batteries because i ran her this morning and not a glich except for my new clutch problem which already existed but is now relevent so i am working on it
Here's a photo of how i roll ;)View attachment 15134
Fellow, owner of your buggy, or have I already told you a few hundred times? :p

That's a real nice buggy you have there my friend. i am in the process of getting new tires, fuel filter, clutch, kill switch, battery and TX/RX to match up with the savage i bought from @Nitrobuzzard

That's a real nice buggy you have there my friend. i am in the process of getting new tires, fuel filter, clutch, kill switch, battery and TX/RX to match up with the savage i bought from @Nitrobuzzard
Thanks, The receiver actually has a built in kill switch that has saved my buggy twice, can't remember how to set it though...
The fuel filter and clutch are well worth the upgrade- the fuel filter has blocked lots of dirt from entering my engine. Also my tires I bought were awesome and only £20, They were made by Nanda racing- can' be exact though...

i was having trouble programming the factory kill switch when i first tried to set it but i will try it again today. fuel filte is a must now that i see how dirt can get any where.

Thanks, The receiver actually has a built in kill switch that has saved my buggy twice, can't remember how to set it though....
If the radio is 2.4 GHz system, it's part of the binding procedure.

Back