Stalls out at full throttle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normrdz300

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,
I just picked up a old school nitro rustler. Hardly used, No stratches on the bottom plate,original body, came with the box,etc...I had to do a couple things like new battery box and harness (left the AA batteries in it) and a new throttle servo. I put the carb back to the original settings, cleaned it up, new fuel line and eventully got it fired up. it took a few times, No doubt I flooded it, changed out the glow plug but eventully it started. I got it at an ide and Knowing the factory carb setting would be rich, I leaned it out about a half turn. As I accelerated it was blowing a good amout of blue smoke and Would shut down quick as I got to 3/4-full throttle. I kept leaning it out a 1/4 turn at a time and kept a close eye on engine temp. I started going back (richening) it when the engine temp got to about 300 degrees, I got the engine temp to about 270 degrees but it still cuts out quick when I try to hit full throttle. I'm doing this on my stand and haven't placed it on the ground.
Any ideas what might be the issue? It takes about 30 seconds cranking to get it started when its cold but once it starts and stalls out it fires right back up and idles great, its only when I try to go 3/4 to full throttle that it dies out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!

Hey all,
I just picked up a old school nitro rustler. Hardly used, No stratches on the bottom plate,original body, came with the box,etc...I had to do a couple things like new battery box and harness (left the AA batteries in it) and a new throttle servo. I put the carb back to the original settings, cleaned it up, new fuel line and eventully got it fired up. it took a few times, No doubt I flooded it, changed out the glow plug but eventully it started. I got it at an ide and Knowing the factory carb setting would be rich, I leaned it out about a half turn. As I accelerated it was blowing a good amout of blue smoke and Would shut down quick as I got to 3/4-full throttle. I kept leaning it out a 1/4 turn at a time and kept a close eye on engine temp. I started going back (richening) it when the engine temp got to about 300 degrees, I got the engine temp to about 270 degrees but it still cuts out quick when I try to hit full throttle. I'm doing this on my stand and haven't placed it on the ground.
Any ideas what might be the issue? It takes about 30 seconds cranking to get it started when its cold but once it starts and stalls out it fires right back up and idles great, its only when I try to go 3/4 to full throttle that it dies out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!
Just my sole opinion because I’m no expert my no means…

Iv always got the best results tuning on the ground with the engine under a load..

Generally speaking if it runs good right off throttle that’s your low side setting..

If it’s dying I would say you are extremely lean..

The smoke you are seeing is most likely coming from the low side needle hence the good idle..

I would say richen the high side and don’t make 1/2 turn adjustments..

I picture my screw as a clock.. making 1hr adjustments at a time… doing huge adjustments will only make you fight it more

I will put the high side setting back to factory (4 turns out) and see where I'm at...How do you determine what is not enough or too much smoke? and thanks for your imput!

I will put the high side setting back to factory (4 turns out) and see where I'm at...How do you determine what is not enough or too much smoke? and thanks for your imput!
Start at factory setting and make very small adjustments in until it feels strong but you still have smoke… lean is mean but rich is safe!!!
What fuel? Brand, nitro %, oil content?