Barnfab Team Associated RC10 40th Anniversary Edition build thread. (WITH UPDATES)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I started to post this in the “what did you buy today thread” but it got a little long winded so I figured I’d just start my build thread with this.

The RC10 shipped so fast it caught me by surprise. Truly didn’t expect it until June. I was gonna spread this stuff out over a few orders but the kit should be here Friday so I pulled the trigger.

It’s gonna PB&J’s and rice & beans for a few days 🤣

I got two sets of wheels and tires. JConcepts monos in black 1.7/1.9, a set or Bar Codes & a set of Taper Spikes. Also a servo and ESC. The same Savox I’m running in my B74.1. I’ve been really happy with it and a Hobbywing XR10pro G2 elite.

And then a body. Got this JCon Protector because I just love the shape and how it overhangs the rear shocks. It immediately caught my eye as I was scrolling. I’m going to make an attempt at mimicking the paint job in the photo but the blue will be anvil gray, the red will be black and the white will be fluorescent yellow. In my head it looks rad but my painting is pretty poor as discussed elsewhere 🤣. I’m going to try to follow all the rules and not rush it. We’ll see how it turns out. Eventually I’ll get a sponsor sticker sheet from stickit1 or something to match the colors. There’s also a full lexan under tray I got off eBay so I can run it at Pit Stop on their vintage days without scratching up the tub too much.

I was going to throw a few carbon bits and bobs in the cart too, but everything I was interested in was already sold out. I’d like to get some towers and some way to hold a 2s shorty pack since those are what I already have. Also the JCon steering kit. I’m going to run one of my 13.5’s for the moment maybe pick up a 17.5 if it’s too much of a handful. I’d also like to find some period correct electrics at some point but that’s gonna take a while to find exactly what I’m looking for ( Mostly because I don’t know what I’m looking for yet lol)

I’ll be posting updates here if you care to follow along.

I’m so excited! 😆

IMG_3161.jpeg
IMG_3166.jpeg
IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3164.jpeg
IMG_3162.jpeg
IMG_3163.jpeg

I started to post this in the “what did you buy today thread” but it got a little long winded so I figured I’d just start my build thread with this.

The RC10 shipped so fast it caught me by surprise. Truly didn’t expect it until June. I was gonna spread this stuff out over a few orders but the kit should be here Friday so I pulled the trigger.

It’s gonna PB&J’s and rice & beans for a few days 🤣

I got two sets of wheels and tires. JConcepts monos in black 1.7/1.9, a set or Bar Codes & a set of Taper Spikes. Also a servo and ESC. The same Savox I’m running in my B74.1. I’ve been really happy with it and a Hobbywing XR10pro G2 elite.

And then a body. Got this JCon Protector because I just love the shape and how it overhangs the rear shocks. It immediately caught my eye as I was scrolling. I’m going to make an attempt at mimicking the paint job in the photo but the blue will be anvil gray, the red will be black and the white will be fluorescent yellow. In my head it looks rad but my painting is pretty poor as discussed elsewhere 🤣. I’m going to try to follow all the rules and not rush it. We’ll see how it turns out. Eventually I’ll get a sponsor sticker sheet from stickit1 or something to match the colors. There’s also a full lexan under tray I got off eBay so I can run it at Pit Stop on their vintage days without scratching up the tub too much.

I was going to throw a few carbon bits and bobs in the cart too, but everything I was interested in was already sold out. I’d like to get some towers and some way to hold a 2s shorty pack since those are what I already have. Also the JCon steering kit. I’m going to run one of my 13.5’s for the moment maybe pick up a 17.5 if it’s too much of a handful. I’d also like to find some period correct electrics at some point but that’s gonna take a while to find exactly what I’m looking for ( Mostly because I don’t know what I’m looking for yet lol)

I’ll be posting updates here if you care to follow along.

I’m so excited! 😆

View attachment 189016View attachment 189017View attachment 189018View attachment 189019View attachment 189020View attachment 189021
Nice selection. If it were me, I might grab a Castle 10A BEC for good clean power for that servo.

Nice selection. If it were me, I might grab a Castle 10A BEC for good clean power for that servo.
The Hobbywing has a 10a BEC built in. I only run them at 6v anyway since the servo is so fast. I actually have it slowed down even more in the radio for the B74.1. Without it slowed down it just slams the the wheels to full lock in one direction or the other and pushes causing me to miss the apex. Took me a long time to figure out that, that’s what was happening.

The first pieces were waiting for me on the stoop when I got home today!

JConcepts doesn’t mess around with shipping!

They’re not glued up yet. I ran out of thin CA. But don’t worry there’s more on the way 🤣

They came with open cell foams. With the green compound they feel like marshmallows. We’ll see how it goes I guess.

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3167.jpeg

Man, the finish on these Hobbywing units is pretty fantastic. I got the “elite” this time cause it’s $20-$30 cheaper than the black one. I can’t really tell a difference other than the color (which I like even better) and the fan is removable (I also like better).

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3188.jpeg

I also decided that I really enjoy glueing tires. Ultra-thin CA really does the trick. It just sucks right into the gap. Learned a couple tricks this time too. Like put a drop on the compound dot so it doesn’t wipe off when you’re cleaning them and saucing them. Also store your CA in the fridge. I forget where I read that maybe on raw speed’s site but it’s supposed keep it fresher. The last set I glued was with old glue that was in my hot pit box and I had a few start to pull out from the bead at speed. I guess we’ll see how these hold up.

IMG_3190.jpeg
IMG_3183.jpeg

Kit should finally get delivered tomorrow. I’m probably going to have to take a long lunch to run home to put it inside. Hopefully they don’t deliver till like 2:30!

IMG_3183.jpeg

Let the build begin! I’m not getting very far tonight with the supplied Allen keys. I have some proper hex drivers coming tomorrow with my servo and some other things. Jumped right in and cut the seals. Looks like everything survived the ride. All the lexan is in good shape and the tub is nice and clean. I got number 2457. Idk if that’s good or not since nobody but AE knows how “limited” the edition is. Once I get my tools I’ll make some more progress. I might throw the shocks together later. Maybe the wheels too. I don’t plan to glue the factory wheels as I don’t plan to run them.

Enjoy some pics. I’m gonna sit here and stare at it 😂

IMG_3193.jpeg
IMG_3194.jpeg
IMG_3195.jpeg
IMG_3196.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg

Really wish they had anodized that pan the same gold they used on the original. But still... going to be a great kit.

Really wish they had anodized that pan the same gold they used on the original. But still... going to be a great kit.
I also really wish there was a printed manual as well! I have to say I was a little disappointed to find that card with the QR code in the “manual bag” No big deal though.

I also really wish there was a printed manual as well! I have to say I was a little disappointed to find that card with the QR code in the “manual bag” No big deal though.
I built our Slash with exploded views on my phone. It was a pain. But hey, it's saving some trees.

Got my SAE drivers. I already had a set of metric Protek’s so I filled out the set with the standard stuff and got the case for them. As a whole I really like them, but I think the 3/16” nut driver has a defect. When they broached the hex it left bits of material in there. Works fine on an actual nut but you can’t turn a ball stud. Hard to take a picture of but I’m gonna call Amain tomorrow and see what we can work out.

IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3203.jpeg

I know. Nobody cares about the tools… So I made through “Bag D” everything was pretty smooth and logical. The transmission is a unique design to say the least. Never seen anything like it before. I’m sure some of the RC vets are fully versed in it but me having never owned one in the day, it’s all new.

There were some fidgety bits in the trans but ultimately it went together pretty easy and it spins very smoothly. I got a Fast Eddy’s bearing kit cause there’s no way I was gonna build this thing with bushings. They fit very well. Picture below with part number if anyone is interested.

IMG_3201.jpeg

So the towers are in and the front arms and transmission. Was a good stopping point before I got in another battle with those “e” clips. It’s actually starting to look like something! Hopefully I can get back to it tomorrow but I really need to prep the other cars for Friday night at Pit Stop.

IMG_3197.jpeg
IMG_3202.jpeg
IMG_3199.jpeg
IMG_3200.jpeg

Well got rained out this weekend… I did some consulting work early this morning instead, then got a few hours in on the RC10 kit.

Man… RC has come a looooonnnnggg way since these were top of the heap. The build has gone really smoothly. I really liked the tool they give you for the shock o-rings. Made that job a snap. No idea how it’s gonna come apart when the time inevitably comes that I need to replace those o-rings but they’re good now! Used ample green slime on em.

The other throwback is the “s” bar linkage for the steering. Honestly can’t remember the last time I had to set one of them up. I did order a JConcepts steering kit because this factory servo-saver seems more like a “break for no reason-er.” When it gets here I’m probably going to thread that hole for an M3 ball-stud and use a real turnbuckle in its place. I still have some alignment work to do but I’ll handle that when all the weight is in it and I can actually set the ride height.

Also did a rough trim on the JConcepts body too. It fits really nice and I think I’m gonna ditch the body mounts and go with Velcro on the under tray. I absolutely love the shape. As long as I don’t butcher the paint this is gonna look rad.

For the factory body, I think I’m gonna send that to a professional mostly for the trimming. I want that to be perfect. The paint job itself isn’t all that difficult.

I need to find a clean solution to hold a shorty pack that doesn’t require me to drill any holes in the chassis. I ordered two different potential ones from eBay. Hopefully one of them will do what I want.

I’m also still on the fence about just getting a modern brushed system for it. Reedy Radon and a Hobbywing 1060 esc. Whole setup is only like $50. I guess I have some time to make a call on that still. I’d also really like to find a way to run a gear diff. I’m going to see what it would take to put the trans from the RB10 on the back. If by some miracle the holes line up I’ll take that idea a little further.

I’m going to go cook a couple burgers 🍔. Here’s some pictures. Enjoy! I know I am 😂

IMG_3219.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg
IMG_3215.jpeg
IMG_3214.jpeg

Back