Barnfab T6.4 build thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Well my bench was clean for all of 20 minutes when the UPS driver knocked on the door yesterday…

IMG_2804.jpeg

I really want to get better driving 2wd and the Frankensteined RB10 I was running was not helping at all. So I got a T6.4 kit. For now I’m going to use some electronics that I have already but, hopefully before outdoor season starts I can get a nice XR10 pro and maybe a 10.5 motor together for it. For now it’s going to get a Mamba X and my Slot machine until horizon sends out the replacements.

So far the kit is going smooth. I stopped before bag 7 tonight. But it’s starting to take shape.

I also got 2 JCon finisher bodies, 3 sets of DE racing black truck wheels, a set of carpet tires and a set of jcon sprinters in green. Also a Savox SB-2292SG servo. Besides the kit that was the big dollar item I got with it. I have a high speed Savox in my B74.1 and it’s really amazing compared to any of the other ones I have. Gonna stick with Savox till I have a reason to move in. They’re pretty nice.

IMG_2805.jpeg

Before even driving it I can tell an aluminum bellcrank and rack set will be one of the first upgrades. Probably a metal castor plate or kick up plate (whatever it’s called 😂) too. We’ll see how it drives before I pick aluminum steel or brass.

I’d like to find some carbon fiber bits and pieces over time; there’s not much that came stock on this kit. Not like the B74. That thing is loaded with carbon fiber out of the box. For no other reason than aesthetics I’ll admit but damn does it look cool. Might spend some time tomorrow on it but I probably won’t get to mess with it again till Monday at best.

I’d also like to find some extended body mounts that fit it. Just for fun I threw this Jeep Comanche crawler body I got forever ago on it. Amazingly it looks like the wheels will almost perfectly line up with it. There just isn’t clearance for the shock towers. Wouldn’t that be a hoot to bring to the track?! 😂

Well my bench was clean for all of 20 minutes when the UPS driver knocked on the door yesterday...
That's why you never clean it, except to scrape up all the parts from the partially built RC you're going to shove in a box and stow away for a year or so to be completed... sometime later 😄

I have a T5M in the garage somewhere, I think you've inspired me to dig it out. Associated stadium trucks are hot rides and yours is well equipped.

Found some time last night and this morning to put some time in on the T6.4. I didn’t document the process much in pictures cause I was on a roll haha. But last night I got the chassis all finished up with the kit setup.

A few things I noticed. I had to do a small amount of sanding/deburring to 3 of the 4 shock pistons. The all had a small bit of flashing around the mold seam making them drag in the bores some. Nice and smooth now!

That and the way they have you set up the pills in the back; the track width is more or less at it’s widest. The CV shafts are BARELY long enough to not fall out of the drive cups at full droop. We’ll see if this is an issue or not. If it is, I’m gonna bring the pivots in some.

I also painted a shell for it last night too. My favorite green/purple iridescent paint. Came out pretty nice although I think if I had masked a little more in the back to be black I might not feel it looks so weird back there.

This morning I woke up motivated. Went right down to the bench after breakfast and busted out the soldering iron to finish up the electrics.

IMG_2819.jpeg
IMG_2821.jpeg

I decided at the last minute to throw the Revtech 6.5T I bought with the trinity coupon. I had originally planned to use it in a Tekno Mini Truggy (I probably still will at some point) but I got a real hankering for some 2wd action. I have it geared way low 17t pinion and I’ll dial back the EPA a little if it’s still too fast for the Factory. I think it’ll be ok outside at Pit Stop this summer.

I used the Castle Mamba X out of my slash to push it in order to keep from buying another ESC.

Flysky receiver and the Savox I talked about earlier.

I won’t be getting to the factory for two more weeks so I’m gonna be dying to take it for a rip until then. Maybe I’ll throw some 4wd buggy practice tires on it and rip up the block a few times just to see what the 6.5T is capable of.

Here’s some pics of it all cleaned up.

IMG_2823.jpeg
IMG_2825.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpeg

Jconcepts pin downs for the rear?
I use fuzz bites on my rustler, and with swagger fronts, they only have 1 race day on them. I'm wanting to go up to the factory sometime before march but don't know if I can.

Yea they’re JConcepts. They look just like the Schumachers on my wheeler so I figured they’d do fine. I got Sprinters in green for the spring at Pit Stop. I want to get some bar type tires for Pit Stop too but I’ll wait till I’m there and see what he’s got on the wall. I haven’t actually glued any of them up yet incase I change my mind before the next race day.

I’m probably gonna get a set of Panthers as suggested in the other thread. I really want ribs for the front 😂. If they suck they can be the shelf wheels.

That's why you never clean it, except to scrape up all the parts from the partially built RC you're going to shove in a box and stow away for a year or so to be completed... sometime later 😄
A year? You got some lucky cars. I have an ofna from 2013 I ran with my 3s vxl system 5 minutes. Half of my collection I took apart for what ever reason and is boxed, bagged, or both. 🙃🫠😶‍🌫️😱

A year? You got some lucky cars. I have an ofna from 2013 I ran with my 3s vxl system 5 minutes. Half of my collection I took apart for what ever reason and is boxed, bagged, or both. 🙃🫠😶‍🌫️😱
I have a few like that. Some I don't care to talk about. The Jato has been locked in its stand for over 8 years.

I have a few like that. Some I don't care to talk about. The Jato has been locked in its stand for over 8 years.
I tried so hard to break it free. 🤣 I'm slowly getting my fleet built back up.

Plans changed today. The guy that owns the building my workshop is in got Covid. So instead I did a bunch of tire glueing and repacked the pit box to accommodate the truck.

This might be my best looking glue job yet!
IMG_2855.jpeg

I did 2 sets for the truck and a set for the b74.1.

Tomorrow afternoon I’m gonna sit down with So Dialed and pick a base carpet setup for the truck and make some adjustments to the B74.

IMG_2856.jpeg

I didn’t take any pictures but, I re-added a box to my pit packout and moved things around so the unload and setup at the track is in a better order. The side bonus is; BOTH cars fit in the bottom box now! I’m also going to trim a few inches off my pit mat so it will fit inside too when rolled up. The only thing I need to hand carry is my folding chair if I need it. Pretty stoked on that.

I found some nice lights for my EZ-up too, for when outdoor season starts again. I need to open that thing up and clean all the dust off it. It’s been packed away since the last race. I’m also thinking I’m going to add a small bbq grill to the program for lunch at the track in the summer. Gotta confirm that that’s ok at Pit Stop.

Last edited:
How are those motor bullets doinng on the wheeler? Better for maintenance? So you don't have to de solder and re solder the wires every time?
Thinking About doing that later down the road

How are those motor bullets doinng on the wheeler? Better for maintenance? So you don't have to de solder and re solder the wires every time?
Thinking About doing that later down the road
Haven’t noticed anything negative yet. I did it primarily so I can easily swap motors. I think I’m going to re-do it with the Bullet closer to the esc. Like how Traxxas does it on the VXL’s. Those 4mm sockets sat real nice in the tabs on the hobbywing but I wasn’t happy with the fit on the revtech.

I need to have you redo all the wiring on my vehicles, yours looks so much better. And whats up with those curled wires? Whenever I do that they do not look that good.:thumbs-up:

I need to have you redo all the wiring on my vehicles, yours looks so much better. And whats up with those curled wires? Whenever I do that they do not look that good.:thumbs-up:
Normally I don’t like curling the wires but I knew these electrics would be somewhat temporary so I didn’t want to shorten them and not be able to reuse elsewhere. I just wrap them around one of my hex drivers real tight then when they release they open up to about that diameter. I’m probably going to throw a justock 13.5 setup in it and all of this stuff will end up in either a mini truggy or a tekno 4wd sct. We’ll see when outdoor season starts. If I like this Stadium truck in the dirt I’ll wait a while on the truggy.

I can redo your car if you want. We just need to meet up. I’m still wanting to do a Saturday at The Track. Maybe I’ll take one of your pitstop cars and get it all dolled up 😂

Back