Axial Ryft Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was some serious badassery!
Yeah, as far as watching car racing goes, rock racing is one of the only ones that will keep me glued to the screen. I'd love to go watch it in person.

KOH Johnson Valley California. Best is back door night runs.

Well, the wheels showed up today, and as I expected, they are too narrow to work. So I am going to print a spacer to add to the back between the lock ring and rim. The quality of these wheels though - wow! For $52, they are worth every penny and then some. Excellent machining.

Here ya go. Every piece is metal. Some of the best machining I have ever seen in RC wheels.
20220227_161219.jpg

I am actually a bit baffled how they made these lug caps. They aren't cast. The logo and bosses on the face look as nice as molded plastic, but they are metal. Unless it was done in a press, I am stumped. And I have seen some really ridiculous machine work.
20220227_161206.jpg

20220227_161125.jpg

And here is how much thinner they are. Easy fix though.
20220227_161104.jpg

Ohhhhh 👀 so sexy!!! 👍

So I printed a 5mm extension for the back of the wheel, and that almost worked, but the lock ring was too narrow then. So I tried printing a 3mm and 4mm spacer, and that was stretching the tire too far and popping the bead out. So now I am printing the 5mm one, and I designed a new lock ring that is 2.5mm wider.

The problem (besides these tires need wider wheels) is the tire bead is thicker than most. So there needs to be a bigger gap between the clamp ring and the lock ring. Hence the 2.5mm difference in the amount I am extending the parts.

Yeah, it is about all I can do at this point. I don't think there are many wheels available in the width I need. These tires are just massive. The outer diameter is right around 6". And the width of the stock wheels is probably like 40mm or so.

Well, after all that work, the wheels are not going to work. The inner diameter on the back is going to be way too small to fit over the front end components I believe. We'll just use the stock wheels and glue the tires. They look pretty good anyway 😜

Looking great so far! I only watched a minute of the “real deal” racing, but as mentioned it’s crazy!! Sounds like a drag racer ripping through the woods

Looking great so far! I only watched a minute of the “real deal” racing, but as mentioned it’s crazy!! Sounds like a drag racer ripping through the woods
Yeah, they have some crazy engines in them.

Wow, those wheels are nice.
They are actually the same ones RC4WD sells for $170 for the set of 4. The only difference is the ones I got don't have the scale hex bolts. Not bad for $52 ;)

Back