Aluminum upgrades for T-Maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToTheMaxx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. What parts for the T-Maxx would be a good idea to replace with Aluminum, and which are bad ideas? I always get mixed reviews with this and can't decifer without buying the products myself. So I haven't replaced any yet. Tired of plasic though. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Bulkheads for sure. Shock towers aren't a bad idea either.
+1 Lessen! I would say bulkheads are almost a must. Shock towers are good too, however I use RPM towers and arms with no breakage so far. The chassis braces are a bonus....other than that RPM plastic all the way.

recommendations?

Any recommendations on bulkheads? jAre any that much better than others? I hear Intergy is bad...

You are correct they are just about the worst....I would say any that are 6061 or 7075 aluminum should be good.

Thanks for the info.

I have the bulk heads done in Aluminum. I got them as a kit on Ebay, they are holding up really nice, just a bit on the heavy side now

Here are my thoughts. A rigid chassis is a good thing, so aluminum bulkheads and braces are good. However, when you crash, a lot of energy is transferred into the truck itself. That energy is going to break or bend the first weak part it gets to. If you use a strong aluminum shock tower, that energy can be transferred to the bulks and possibly break or bend them. My preference is to have a shock tower, a-arm, or bumper break rather than the bulkheads so I would recommend RPM plastic for those parts, but it all depends on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend when something breaks.

iNTegy aluminum is good for bulkheads and chassis braces but avoid using their shocks and arms or your truck is doomed to failure, rpm arms and shock towers are a great deal because if you can break them than rpm will send you a new one, but i dont know if anybody has broken one

Make sure your "weak point" part is one of those easy to replace items. I hate messing with a-arms. I used to use the RPM a-arms on my tmaxx.
I used to beat the crap out of my tmaxx... and the items I broke were usually bulkheads and I think I messed up some skidplates.. or stripped some screws.
On my MGT, if a bad landing happens.. it's usually just the tierod that pops off. i have broken a hub carrier before. Those are easy to replace.

Back