2 motors down, what gives??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the 21T pinion is too big for the slipper clutch cover. It grinds in to the cover. This thing may have been made for a 16-19T max with this cover. That could be an oversight from the manufacturer, or horizon hobby now isn’t it? And the shaft was too long it started it’s own little scratch. Luckily I caught all of this before I ran it. However I did manage to run it on a 21/84, I thought I had an 87T spur but I don’t. It was real fast so I couldn’t run it very hard. There was hardly any motor heat. My cheap ass ebay light bar is a POS right now even after re-soldering so I can’t drive at night. Seems fine but then again it was a soft run. When the Idaho sun comes up I will try this again, but for now I need to check that plastic clutch cover....
Back on the castle creations, I did like how they offer 1/8 or 5mm motor shaft....
We werent bagging on HW. Theres nothing wrong with em. Now that I see that 3660 motor again I remember it from another thread now. That does have the 5mm shaft cuz its meant for 1/10 scale 4WD SCTs. A lot of those type motors do have a 5mm shaft.

Can you just run without the gear cover? Thats what I end up having to do on my Rusty sometimes depending on what I'm trying to run.

We werent bagging on HW. Theres nothing wrong with em. Now that I see that 3660 motor again I remember it from another thread now. That does have the 5mm shaft cuz its meant for 1/10 scale 4WD SCTs. A lot of those type motors do have a 5mm shaft.

Can you just run without the gear cover? Thats what I end up having to do on my Rusty sometimes depending on what I'm trying to run.
No I didn’t take offense, I’m quite new to this hobby and all it’s brands, and I hope I didn’t make it seem like I was downplaying castle either.
Anyway yeah I’m sure I could run without the cover.
Another thing is that I can’t set my slipper because it just cogs once I get the nut tightened just past the point where it does slip without turning the wheels.
No I didn’t take offense, I’m quite new to this hobby and all it’s brands, and I hope I didn’t make it seem like I was downplaying castle either.
Anyway yeah I’m sure I could run without the cover.
Another thing is that I can’t set my slipper because it just cogs once I get the nut tightened just past the point where it does slip without turning the wheels.
I guess running without the cover will let me see if the spur is getting chewed up

We just ran it a little bit more. I’m looking at the spur and it seems to be stripping out here and there. I left the pinion in the position where it wasn’t grinding in to the cover, I ran it without the cover.
Why does it look like a good gear mesh when I set it, then do this?

Attachments

• 8AAC0150-5EA8-4CC2-B529-3CE81A4732A4.jpeg
    8AAC0150-5EA8-4CC2-B529-3CE81A4732A4.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 53
  • A0D3589C-AE9C-4A25-BC18-D8EB676BA81A.jpeg
    A0D3589C-AE9C-4A25-BC18-D8EB676BA81A.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 54
We just ran it a little bit more. I’m looking at the spur and it seems to be stripping out here and there. I left the pinion in the position where it wasn’t grinding in to the cover, I ran it without the cover.
Why does it look like a good gear mesh when I set it, then do this?
Your pinion needs to be flush with the spur. You have it too far in. To set the mesh, put a sheet of paper between the gears and push the motor towards the spur and tighten it up.

Your pinion needs to be flush with the spur. You have it too far in. To set the mesh, put a sheet of paper between the gears and push the motor towards the spur and tighten it up.
Thanks. I was setting the mesh with the “allow it to have some wiggle” method.
I realize my pinion is too far in, and that’s why I stated I left it in that position, where it didn’t rub on the gear cover. I just forgot to move it back out before I ran it with the cover off.
This was after all the 84T spur which is not what I intend to run permanently. I’m waiting for the 87T to come in the mail.

Thanks. I was setting the mesh with the “allow it to have some wiggle” method.
I realize my pinion is too far in, and that’s why I stated I left it in that position, where it didn’t rub on the gear cover. I just forgot to move it back out before I ran it with the cover off.
This was after all the 84T spur which is not what I intend to run permanently. I’m waiting for the 87T to come in the mail.
Well, the pinion will eat the spur if they aren't flush with each other.

it was way too hot yesterday to really drive this thing around as much as i wanted. Night runs are now a no go because my stupid lights just quit working. I suppose i will go up to a better brand of lighting instead of Injora and other cheap chinese ebay stuff. On our yeti jr i put a 2" mytrickrc light bar on and its great! the rear Injora red led is still holding up so I'm just wondering what is up with the losi lighting..........
anyway what i did get to run, this truck is now way fast, spins out from a turn very easily, makes me happy i went to a brushless set up. the heat seemed fine too. hopefully its a little cooler today.

Gahhhh HW sent me the 25T pinion not a 21..... so the 87 spur just barely won’t fit. I’m not even bothering notching the slots so I can slide it back, I’ll just wait for the Robinson 17T pinion I ordered. Did I mention the arrma was not a 5mm bore pinion? False Amazon advertising again.
Oh well.

I got to run the beast last night on 17/87 gearing. It’s quite fun! Motor was only warm. I even balanced the wheels. Drives really well, torquey too. Pops wheelies in grass and lifts up the front end on dirt. Now I’m really loving the proline tires.

I got to run the beast last night on 17/87 gearing. It’s quite fun! Motor was only warm. I even balanced the wheels. Drives really well, torquey too. Pops wheelies in grass and lifts up the front end on dirt. Now I’m really loving the proline tires.
Awesome!

Great man. Hope it holds up better now, and sounds like she will.

so even with the 17/87 gearing, my slipper cover still contacts one or both of the gears. wont hurt to just leave it off?
the other thing is actually dialing in the slipper.........it just cogs (the motor) and i can't tell if its tight or too loose. should i worry about this or just let it ride?

The only thing that leaving the cover off could potentially let happen is a pebble or something could get stuck in the gears and strip them but I've done a fair amount of running without a gear cover and it hasnt happened to me yet. I tighten all my slippers down and then back em off 1/4 to 1/2 turn depending on the kit.

The only thing that leaving the cover off could potentially let happen is a pebble or something could get stuck in the gears and strip them but I've done a fair amount of running without a gear cover and it hasnt happened to me yet. I tighten all my slippers down and then back em off 1/4 to 1/2 turn depending on the kit.
tighten them down to snug or all the way? it looks like the pinion and spur made fresh scratches in the cover, this is why I'm suddenly thinking the slipper isnt quite tight enough yet. as it gets tightened up and moves "in" or closer to the motor plate, so will the pinion and i may get it to clear.
Its been raining the past couple days, i decided to drive the track when it was a little too wet. mud everywhere. ill probably not do that again but it was really fun. I'm pretty OCD on cleanliness, always hit it with a chip brush and vacuum, then the air compressor just about every run. it took me awhile to get all the mud out, and since i have some bearings on the way I'm not too worried about it. I'm now looking for a dirt cover or mud guard that might attach to the chassis over all electronics??? i swear I've seen a guy on hear post that he had a hot racing one for this particular truck.
Anybody seen one or use one?
hey thanks for the input though

I think I found the sweet spot and have answered my own question. I added about a turn to the slipper clutch nut and after a little while it started making a noise. Sounded like something between the pinion and spur or in the diff. I backed off about a 1/4 maybe 1/2 turn and all was well. Spur looks good, the mesh sounds normal, motor heat is still very cool.
I haven’t tried the cover yet but I doubt it will be any different. I will try it though just to see what happens. Maybe I can put it on loosely with some locktite and just clear the gears rubbing.

I think I found the sweet spot and have answered my own question. I added about a turn to the slipper clutch nut and after a little while it started making a noise. Sounded like something between the pinion and spur or in the diff. I backed off about a 1/4 maybe 1/2 turn and all was well. Spur looks good, the mesh sounds normal, motor heat is still very cool.
I haven’t tried the cover yet but I doubt it will be any different. I will try it though just to see what happens. Maybe I can put it on loosely with some locktite and just clear the gears rubbing.
or just take a dremel and cut out the parts where its rubbing.

never good to have any part on loosely.. id do what grey said . as trim gear cover. or if you dare use a heated up piece and slowly bend gear case were its rubbing. best thing to do 4 gear lash or so called gear mesh is the old paper trick. feed it between gears then tighten screws undo paper from gears b4 run.

I just wanted to add an observation I made the other night. It involves a possible reason a motor could overheat. Now that I have a brushless system, it requires more amps than the brushed system. Using a 2s 5200 mah 25C lipo runs the motor hotter than the 2s with an 80C rating. Why? That battery can’t discharge enough amps, or maybe its volts. Either way not enough of one leads to too much of the other. Amps go down, volts go up, volts go down amps go up. It’s just my theory, but doing the math..... that 25C rating leaves me a bit short on amp supply.

Back