2 motors down, what gives??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J’sCrawler

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I’ve had my losi 22s sct for a couple months or more now and I’ve already smoked 2 motors. Stock is the 12T brushed 550. It always seemed hot, too hot to touch for very long anyway. That was stock gearing too. 14/87.
The first time it was all stock, only changed up my shock springs and oil.
Then I bought the same motor added the avid evo slipper (14/84), put on some badlands max sc tires, savox servo because the spektrum died, and JConcepts body mount stiffener.
So what’s the deal, my slipper is set, the diff is a gear differential not the ball so no setting there other than factory oil, basically stock gear ratio....... am I missing something? Anyway there’s a hobbywing max10 sct 3660 combo on its way.....

Yeah no kidding, that’s what my brother told me to do in the first place, but I’m older so why should I listen to him?! He’s been in the hobby a few more years than me, that’s why.
So was it the esc not keeping up with amp demands or just brushed motors won’t handle what I’m throwing at them?

Brushed motors just don't last period. Crawler motors yes but they don't run at a full tilt boogie and use around 21T, well at least mine are.
You will be more than happy with the brushless system but just keep an eye out on the temps as well.
The brushless motor is far more powerful so you may want to upgrade parts like the drive shafts and what not. I prefer to stay with 2s because where I run 3s really isn't needed and I can control 2s much better and is plenty enough for my Typhon and Stampede.

Last edited:
Yeah no kidding, that’s what my brother told me to do in the first place, but I’m older so why should I listen to him?! He’s been in the hobby a few more years than me, that’s why.
So was it the esc not keeping up with amp demands or just brushed motors won’t handle what I’m throwing at them?
If your motor gets too hot to keep your hand on it, you are too hot, and likely damaging your motor.

Whenever I put a new motor in a vehicle, first thing I do is give it a couple high speed runs without the body. I check the temp with an infrared temp gun. If it seems like it is well below 160°F I push it harder. If I feel I have ran it pretty good and the temps are still well below 160°, I put the body on and don't bother checking it again until I finish the pack.

Brushed motors just don't last period. Crawler motors yes but they don't run at a full tilt boogie and use around 21T, well at least mine are.
You will be more than happy with the brushless system but just keep an eye out on the temps as well.
The brushless motor is far more powerful so you may want to upgrade parts like the drive shafts and what not. I prefer to stay with 2s because where I run 3s really isn't needed and I can control 2s much better and is plenty enough for my Typhon and Stampede.
Full tilt boogie haha!
I’ll have to get a ray gun to shoot for temps then. The esc has a temp shut off protection. I will be staying with 2S batteries, my course in the yard never sees top speed nor has the need for that much more speed than what I had(bring on the brushless!) and as far as driveshafts I’m not sure if there are any upgrade parts. Maybe have some extra parts on hand would be smart.
Thanks for the advice.

If your motor gets too hot to keep your hand on it, you are too hot, and likely damaging your motor.

Whenever I put a new motor in a vehicle, first thing I do is give it a couple high speed runs without the body. I check the temp with an infrared temp gun. If it seems like it is well below 160°F I push it harder. If I feel I have ran it pretty good and the temps are still well below 160°, I put the body on and don't bother checking it again until I finish the pack.
So right out the box this thing ran too hot. At first I really didn’t drive it “hard”. If you are familiar with the transmitter that comes with, it has the speed selection 50-75-100... I ran it on 75 the first pack. I even gave the motor a break in. It’s a thing for brushed motors apparently.
So what could cause the motor to run so hot out the gate?

There is several different places I run here and around Weiser. We have the Weiser Sand Dunes but I mostly use my baja 5b 1/5 scale gas for that, Clay Peaks Motorcycle Park in the next little town just south of us and also the skate park there.
We mostly run our crawlers and only the wife and I but living pretty close to the Snake River, there is a ton of crawling places to go to.

So right out the box this thing ran too hot. At first I really didn’t drive it “hard”. If you are familiar with the transmitter that comes with, it has the speed selection 50-75-100... I ran it on 75 the first pack. I even gave the motor a break in. It’s a thing for brushed motors apparently.
So what could cause the motor to run so hot out the gate?
There are lots of things that can cause a motor to overheat. It being a stock setup I would probably just lean toward a 💩 motor. But it could be bound up somewhere in the drivetrain. When you have the motor out make sure everything spins freely. If you feel any notchy areas in the rotation start taking wheels off and check the bearings behind the wheels. If those are ok, check the ones on the axles. Work your way in til you find something not turning smoothly. Check all gears and make sure you don't have any abnormal wear. Typically, on a smooth running drivetrain if you have a pinion gear that is too big it can cause strain on the motor and cause it to overheat. But again, if you are running a stock setup, this shouldn't be the case.

Running in grass and really loose dirt will also cause a motor to run hot.

There are lots of things that can cause a motor to overheat. It being a stock setup I would probably just lean toward a 💩 motor. But it could be bound up somewhere in the drivetrain. When you have the motor out make sure everything spins freely. If you feel any notchy areas in the rotation start taking wheels off and check the bearings behind the wheels. If those are ok, check the ones on the axles. Work your way in til you find something not turning smoothly. Check all gears and make sure you don't have any abnormal wear. Typically, on a smooth running drivetrain if you have a pinion gear that is too big it can cause strain on the motor and cause it to overheat. But again, if you are running a stock setup, this shouldn't be the case.
so poopy motor then. ok problem solved, just waiting on ups. after this second motor went i did just what you said. i looked into bearings, went down to the diff to see if it could use adjustment but its the gear diff, only the ball diff can be adjusted but that comes in upper tier kits, cleaned it and re greased it but didnt actually take it apart. i polished all the dogbone shafts with some mag polsih because they were getting dirty, and i polished the hinge pins. for the dusty track i run on, this stuff looked ok, after all, after every pack i hit the moving parts with a chip brush and a vacuum then spray a little shop air to clean it up. a bit of a clean freak but its for longevity.
my little brother was right.... "its a money pit to have fun and maintain":hehe:
my track becomes loose after the tires shred it up.........

Yeah, unless it is a crawler, go brushless 😉

If your motor has bushings instead of bearings, as some brushed motors do, the dust could be the culprit.

Ugh the problem wont be solved with a brushless upgrade. unless your going to start and adjust gearing to run cooler..you will just smoke a brushless motor staying with the gears listed.

Ugh the problem wont be solved with a brushless upgrade. unless your going to start and adjust gearing to run cooler..you will just smoke a brushless motor staying with the gears listed.
It’s stock gearing! So what’s the magic numbers being ran successfully?
The brushless system comes with a 21T pinion so my gearing will be 21/84-87

Last edited:
I dont know your kv..but with only those 2 spurs and pinions Id go 21/87..but temps will tell you.We I ran stock I always ran rtr with the included motor esc..when you change motors or esc it isn't stock anymore..

Stock gears and stock motor it burned through 2 motors.
This brushless will be 3200kv
Just make sure and monitor motor temps when you get it going. If it is running too hot decrease pinion and/or raise spur.

i got my motor the other day and got it all fit up with a heatsink on it. that took alot of trimming due to the shape of the cage around the motor. theres no way i could get this thing to fit with the 21T pinion hobbywing includes with the esc/motor combo. if i remove the heatsink probably, but i think starting low is a safe start. I'm just waiting on a 17T robinson pinion that Amain will hopefully ship sometime this week. It takes them at least a week to ship anything i order from them, so usually i go with RC planet because they ship quick. I did plug in the program card to the esc, set up some things, and spun the motor by itelf. What a quiet motor, but it wasn't attached to a slipper or differential and so on. I can't wait to let it roar.

i got my motor the other day and got it all fit up with a heatsink on it. that took alot of trimming due to the shape of the cage around the motor. theres no way i could get this thing to fit with the 21T pinion hobbywing includes with the esc/motor combo. if i remove the heatsink probably, but i think starting low is a safe start. I'm just waiting on a 17T robinson pinion that Amain will hopefully ship sometime this week. It takes them at least a week to ship anything i order from them, so usually i go with RC planet because they ship quick. I did plug in the program card to the esc, set up some things, and spun the motor by itelf. What a quiet motor, but it wasn't attached to a slipper or differential and so on. I can't wait to let it roar.
Well good luck with it. I don't shop at Amain because of the slow processing time. Plus Horizon is only 3 hours from me and I usually get stuff next day or the day after.

Unless they ship it from the California warehouse like the SCX24 C10 I just ordered, that FedEx has been sitting on in Chino California since Wednesday! #$@% FedEx in California. Every time I order anything coming via FedEx from there it takes longer than getting stuff from China!

Rant mode - deactivate!

Well good luck with it. I don't shop at Amain because of the slow processing time. Plus Horizon is only 3 hours from me and I usually get stuff next day or the day after.

Unless they ship it from the California warehouse like the SCX24 C10 I just ordered, that FedEx has been sitting on in Chino California since Wednesday! #$@% FedEx in California. Every time I order anything coming via FedEx from there it takes longer than getting stuff from China!

Rant mode - deactivate!
Yea Amain is ridiculous and fed ex is worse. Where I’m at in Idaho, sometimes it comes from California then goes to Washington, then to Arizona, to Utah, then finally into Idaho where it skips over where I live just to come right back.
I do like horizon but whatever else I got wasn’t in stock, hence why I went with the amain slugs.
Oh good luck with the scx24, I have one and I’d plan on adding another $100 for necessary upgrades.

Yea Amain is ridiculous and fed ex is worse. Where I’m at in Idaho, sometimes it comes from California then goes to Washington, then to Arizona, to Utah, then finally into Idaho where it skips over where I live just to come right back.
I do like horizon but whatever else I got wasn’t in stock, hence why I went with the amain slugs.
Oh good luck with the scx24, I have one and I’d plan on adding another $100 for necessary upgrades.
Yeah, they are made to be upgraded. I already have brass extended hubs and Mudslingers on my Deadbolt.

Back