2 motors down, what gives??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, they are made to be upgraded. I already have brass extended hubs and Mudslingers on my Deadbolt.
I think it’s on the rccrawler forum that I’ve got a build thread going. It’s the Datsun620 scx24. I don’t dare add up what I’ve done. But it’s a good read if you want to see what will and what won’t work.....like mofo rc......I’ve had a bad batch of stuff but he did send me replacements. Fun little toy though! My 5 year old loves it.

Let’s review this gear ratio preference. Awaiting on amain I have a 17T pinion, that’s a 17/87, I found that arrma uses a 5mm bore 48P, so I ordered the 14T from Amazon. That puts me at 14/87 which is stock gearing and a huge difference. It’s like 5.11 vs 6.2???
So the question is (obviously start low) but what are you guys out there running gear ratio or tooth count wise with a similar set up. 2wd 1/10 scale short course truck that’s now a 3200kv brushless motor. I have a 5” light bar on the roof maybe it’s a 6”, and a small 1.5” red led near the back. That’s about it for added weight.
I just want to know what has been working and what people like. This is where the opinions come in and that’s what I want, so I can trial and error myself while monitoring motor and esc temps. This hobbywing esc has a fan and temp cutoff so I hope at the very least the esc protects itself!

Let’s review this gear ratio preference. Awaiting on amain I have a 17T pinion, that’s a 17/87, I found that arrma uses a 5mm bore 48P, so I ordered the 14T from Amazon. That puts me at 14/87 which is stock gearing and a huge difference. It’s like 5.11 vs 6.2???
So the question is (obviously start low) but what are you guys out there running gear ratio or tooth count wise with a similar set up. 2wd 1/10 scale short course truck that’s now a 3200kv brushless motor. I have a 5” light bar on the roof maybe it’s a 6”, and a small 1.5” red led near the back. That’s about it for added weight.
I just want to know what has been working and what people like. This is where the opinions come in and that’s what I want, so I can trial and error myself while monitoring motor and esc temps. This hobbywing esc has a fan and temp cutoff so I hope at the very least the esc protects itself!
I don't have a SCT, so I can't really say what gear ratio you should run, but just run it and keep an eye on temps. If it isn't running hot bump up a couple teeth on the pinion. Also some people neglect to take into account their tire diameters for their final ratio. If you aren't fast enough for what you are after before it starts to push closer to 160°F, then add a heatsink and fan. Every car is different.

I stand corrected. I need to learn how to read:p
I thought the vxl stuff was good? I’m not a real fan of the Traxxas stuff, it’s like your Ford, dodge, Chevy, everyone has a preference, but they could all be about the same.
I don't have a SCT, so I can't really say what gear ratio you should run, but just run it and keep an eye on temps. If it isn't running hot bump up a couple teeth on the pinion. Also some people neglect to take into account their tire diameters for their final ratio. If you aren't fast enough for what you are after before it starts to push closer to 160°F, then add a heatsink and fan. Every car is different.
Well when the arrma pinion I ordered gets to me, it’s a 14T, I canceled the Robinson 17T because Amain is lame and doesn’t update their system, and currently I have a 21T that came with the motor. I’ll have a 14/87 or a 21/87 to test. I might have to source the 17T somewhere else like Amazon.
It’s actually hard to find a 5mm bore pinion in a tooth count below 17 which is what I’m looking for. Stock pinion to spur is 14/87 and I’d like to see what that does. I don’t need crazy top speed because my track is only about 45’ on the straight away with a little jump in the middle.
Anyway tonight I’ll put it all back together with the 21/87 and just see how it goes. I had to remove the heat sink to fit the 21 in there.
I can’t stand not having it ready to roll

Last edited:
Ill start by saying I dont run 2WD 1/10 kits so I can't recommend a start point for gearing but I'm confused by your statement that Arrma uses a 5mm bore 48P gearing. I just read through this thread and maybe I missed it but I didnt see any mention of an Arrma kit or motor. you're running a Losi 22SCT with a hobbywing 3660 motor correct? I feel like I missed something here

No, not for overpriced products like they produce. Sure they put out good stuff but yet still, it’s overpriced. Also not the KV I wanted to roll with.
Theyre not over priced. The CC Sidewinder 3 which is basically their version of the Max10 and its pretty much the same price.

I thought the vxl stuff was good? I’m not a real fan of the Traxxas stuff, it’s like your Ford, dodge, Chevy, everyone has a preference, but they could all be about the same.
The VXL electronics arent very good. I like Traxxas kits but not their electronics.

Ill start by saying I dont run 2WD 1/10 kits so I can't recommend a start point for gearing but I'm confused by your statement that Arrma uses a 5mm bore 48P gearing. I just read through this thread and maybe I missed it but I didnt see any mention of an Arrma kit or motor. you're running a Losi 22SCT with a hobbywing 3660 motor correct? I feel like I missed something here

Theyre not over priced. The CC Sidewinder 3 which is basically their version of the Max10 and its pretty much the same price.

The VXL electronics arent very good. I like Traxxas kits but not their electronics.
It is a losi and it is a hobbywing motor. I found a pinion from arrma that may be 5mm bore. You didn’t miss anything, I just didn’t explain very well.
As far as castle I just heard or read that for the price they weren’t THAT good and a hobbywing was very comparable.

Last edited:
It is a losi and it is a hobbywing motor. I found a pinion from arrma that may be 5mm bore. You didn’t miss anything, I just didn’t explain very well.
As far as castle I just heard or read that for the price they weren’t THAT good and a hobbywing was very comparable.
Mainly the KV of the 3660 was what I was targeting when I went hobbywing.
What I really wanted was tekin.....but the price doesn’t make sense to put it into a backyard track running 22s.

Is the Hobbywing 3660 a 5mm shaft? I thought it was 3mm. I think thats the part that confused me. I personally think Castle is a cut above HW but that being said HW has stepped its game up over the last 10 years. Theyre definitely making a run at competing with some of these 'higher end" companies.

Is the Hobbywing 3660 a 5mm shaft? I thought it was 3mm. I think thats the part that confused me. I personally think Castle is a cut above HW but that being said HW has stepped its game up over the last 10 years. Theyre definitely making a run at competing with some of these 'higher end" companies.
There has been a lot of problems with Castle stuff here and there, and people have complained a lot about their customer service. I personally have never had a Castle failure, so I can't attest to the CS, but so far I haven't had anything to complain about. I do love my Hobbywing stuff too though. But along with them getting better, their prices have sure been reflecting it.

There has been a lot of problems with Castle stuff here and there, and people have complained a lot about their customer service. I personally have never had a Castle failure, so I can't attest to the CS, but so far I haven't had anything to complain about.
I also have never had a Castle failure that wasn't my own fault. IDK about now but I know several years back they had good CS though. At least ppl said they did.

I do love my Hobbywing stuff too though. But along with them getting better, their prices have sure been reflecting it.
I've noticed the recently when I comapred the Max 5 ESC to Castles XLX2. The XLX2 was only $30 more.

I also have never had a Castle failure that wasn't my own fault. IDK about now but I know several years back they had good CS though. At least ppl said they did.

I've noticed the recently when I comapred the Max 5 ESC to Castles XLX2. The XLX2 was only $30 more.
Castle prices have remained fairly consistent. I hope it stays that way when everyone catches up to them.

Does the MAX 5 even have datalogging? Id pay the extra $30 just to get that feature.

Yes the hobbywing is a 5mm shaft, and for what I paid I couldn’t get a motor in the same KV range I was looking for. I think some special edition mamba or copperhead may have had the KV I wanted but it was like $200 or something. I got a 3200KV, I’m trying to stray on the side of torque and acceleration. I don’t need the top speed as I will never see it unless I go out to the street. That there, I don’t have the tires for that, sure the stock tires or proline badlands I have will do it, but why beat up my all terrains.
I believe what I read or heard was the customer service thing about castle as well, and the fact they claim the “made in USA” when actually it’s made in China assembled in USA. I’ll just buy Chinese then. Hobbywing HAS stepped up and maybe castle is a cut above because of the U.S. assembly. Not every American can solder, and I’m sure NO Chinese assembler cares about their soldering.
Really it boiled down to KV, castle doesn’t offer a 3200Kv motor. Bummer.
All the bad on hobbywing has been from Amazon reviews, Amazon does in fact have sellers that pawn off knock off poop. Ask me how I know. Many Chinese manufacturers get copied by other Chinese manufacturers. Hard to believe isn’t it......... or is it.
Yes the hobbywing is a 5mm shaft, and for what I paid I couldn’t get a motor in the same KV range I was looking for. I think some special edition mamba or copperhead may have had the KV I wanted but it was like $200 or something. I got a 3200KV, I’m trying to stray on the side of torque and acceleration. I don’t need the top speed as I will never see it unless I go out to the street. That there, I don’t have the tires for that, sure the stock tires or proline badlands I have will do it, but why beat up my all terrains.
I believe what I read or heard was the customer service thing about castle as well, and the fact they claim the “made in USA” when actually it’s made in China assembled in USA. I’ll just buy Chinese then. Hobbywing HAS stepped up and maybe castle is a cut above because of the U.S. assembly. Not every American can solder, and I’m sure NO Chinese assembler cares about their soldering.
All the bad on hobbywing has been from Amazon reviews, Amazon does in fact have sellers that pawn off knock off poop. Ask me how I know. Many Chinese manufacturers get copied by other Chinese manufacturers. Hard to believe isn’t it......... or is it.
I paid like $150 for my hobbywing stuff. Compared to the spektrum at $200( the 3150KV from the tenacity) the castle stuff, and the tekin(and one other I can’t recall)......I’m settled on what I purchased. Now it’s just finally driving it, so give me about an hour and I might have an update on that.

Does the MAX 5 even have datalogging? Id pay the extra $30 just to get that feature.
No, it doesn't. Would be nice. It can make you a cup of coffee, take out the trash, etc. But it can't tell you what it has been doing for the past 10 minutes.

Well the 21T pinion is too big for the slipper clutch cover. It grinds in to the cover. This thing may have been made for a 16-19T max with this cover. That could be an oversight from the manufacturer, or horizon hobby now isn’t it? And the shaft was too long it started it’s own little scratch. Luckily I caught all of this before I ran it. However I did manage to run it on a 21/84, I thought I had an 87T spur but I don’t. It was real fast so I couldn’t run it very hard. There was hardly any motor heat. My cheap ass ebay light bar is a POS right now even after re-soldering so I can’t drive at night. Seems fine but then again it was a soft run. When the Idaho sun comes up I will try this again, but for now I need to check that plastic clutch cover....
Back on the castle creations, I did like how they offer 1/8 or 5mm motor shaft....

Back