Xl5 stampede batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I am wondering what is the difference between a 7.2 volt and an 8.4 volt battery both supplying 4600 mah. Is it that the voltage is the amount the battery can store and the mah is the speed in which the current is supplied. This is a very basic electrical question, i know, but i am just getting a bit confused. I'm still pretty new to the electric scene. Also, any clue if the xl5 is rated for only 7.2 volts or can i go up to an 8.4v 4600 mah 6 cell battery when stock is a 7.2 3000mah 7 cell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 7:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:13 PM ----------

Ok there is some good info in the stickie. Lol i just didnt look close enough i guess. Any thoughts on whether or not the xl5 esc can handle the higher voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I run 8.4 in alot of my brushed rigs, shouldnt hurt it at all.

The mAh is just how much energy the battery can store or you can think o fit in terms of run time. Higher mAh means longer run times. The only difference between a 7.2 and an 8.4 is the 8.4 has 7 cells inside of it instead of 6 cells thus supplying the extra 1.2V.

The XL5 can handle up to 9.6V (or 8cell NiXX packs) according to Traxxas's website.