Winter woahs and hobby ruts.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armykyle1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I probably shouldn't complain because of how mild our "winters" are down here. But it's freaking miserable lol. When you're used to 80+ days with the summer time constantly hitting 100+ on the heat index. But trying to muster the courage to bare 40° weather and run my RCs seems unbearable lol. I also think I'm in a rut with the hobby. I came in way too hot and heavy. I read about rc burnout which I think applies to any hobby.

There's also a complete lack of interest in the hobby around me. Unless it's crawling or "racing" which is an hour+ from me. I've realized I like the bashing aspect more than anything. I really want to try sct racing but it's super limited and I really like the large scale poop. I know 3 people personally with an Xmaxx and I sold one of them a spare lol.

I'm in a rut, how do y'all get out of a hobby rut? Besides quitting haha. I plan on doing a 2wd drift rc to match my new project e36 m3. First world problems... This is a run on post with ADHD. So apply winter woahs, hobby ruts and general difficulties with your hobbies.

40 lol. right try a few days of 17 and below.. not into heat but know how to handle the cold

If I had more money to get things I really wanted to, I would probably burn out at times too. I have been messing with RC's since the early 80's. There have been times when I took breaks from it. But I never went balls out buying RC's when I was still working. I think having a few hobbies kept me interested. I still have other hobbies. Guitar, 3d printing, 3d design, and gaming. It helps to break up the routine.

I don't even drive mine much anymore. The only time I do is when my kiddo is here. I just like building and modding them mostly. But funds keep that at a slower pace now, so I am always looking forward to that next purchase to further a project.

And 40 degrees - I am outside in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops 😉

Carhart thats how you Deal with the cold. At 40 thats a pair of long John's and a smile.. Will take 40° all day. Thats not cold. It 18° Feels 12 - 10°... you hit it hard rite out-of the gate. It happens all the time. You got to break it up. And have a range of vehicles.. so your not always driving or wrenching on the same. Been in hobby a long time I've taken breaks for a few months before. But usually during the winter months. Got to find something to break up the norm. Build a different RC model.. have something to do with hunting parts down. Like I haven't touch a controller I've been updating my rc shop/ work space... then will work on the trx4 build. Got some parts on oredrr

I can do hot or cold. This bipolar 50s for a week then 85, or constantly going from heat to cold I can't. I can wash a car in a shirt and pants in the 30s. I bike in a long sleeve tee in the same weather, but get cold and goosebumps in 98°+.

I agree with the parts hunt. Also buy a nasty looking pile of parts or a thrashed car and rebuild.

I go in stages with all of my hobbies. Right now, I am concentrating on building my kayak with all the mods I want but it's almost finished.
My train room is on the back burner because I really lost interest but I plant a tree on the table every so often. I'm thinking about turning the lower section of the table into a 1/24 crawler course and just leaving the upper section N scale train.
It is finally warming up to 40° here.
Just take a break @armykyle1 , it will come back to you.

Ruts and/or loss of interest are common when it comes to hobbies from my experience. I some time wish I could stay 100% interested in a hobby for decades like some people.
My pattern so far has been slipping out of my hobbies after about 5 years or so. As a matter of fact, I've just returned to rc last year, after being out of it for 10 years. I also have a pattern of "recycling" my hobbies. Which is mostly why, I don't ever sell anything! It is also why I'm usually hesitant to spend a premium for top of the line products.
It is hard to feel yourself losing interest in something you've put so much time, effort, and money into. I've always fought it, but down inside I know the truth: that I'm burnt out. After a half a century on this earth, I've learned enough about myself to know that there's a good chance I'll regain interest again at some point in the future.
Forums and online social groups have really prolonged my interest in a hobby. Even after I've lost interest in a particular hobby, I tend to still stick around on certain forums, just because I feel that I've made "friends" there. Before getting back into rc, I was very into airguns. I rarely shoot any more, but I still hang out on one forum daily. I hang out mainly in the "back room" which is the equivalent of "general chaos" over here. I shoot the 💩 with a bunch of members, daily. Honestly though, nowadays, I actually prefer cyber friends, over "real world" friends. There's just less complications, dramas, and obligations with cyber friends.
My recommendation to you @armykyle1 is not fight it. Go ahead and step away from rc. I think you'll get the big itch again. We'll keep the light on for ya!

In regards to the 40 degree weather, please hand back your Man-card. You can get it back once you've regrown a pair. 😉

😁

I can't fairly reply to everyone haha. Keep in mind my job requires me to constantly be working outside. When you're sleeping at 3am, I'm out there fixing an outage you had no idea happened haha. With that being said, my job is causing more burm out than anything.

Winter sucks and I'm not gonna man up haha.

If you are anything like me, don't get rid of your stuff, you'll be back. All it takes is a simple, unexpected snakebite and you'll be back in like a crazed dog. Right now, I am back into rifles, won't be but just a few weeks and I will be back into Clay Shooting and Fly Fishing. It's hard to have an addictive personality - that is why I don't meddle in drugs. Turkey season is around the corner, coyote season is in full swing right now, duck hunting this week, Spoonbill fishing is a month away - the list goes on and on.

I can't fairly reply to everyone haha. Keep in mind my job requires me to constantly be working outside. When you're sleeping at 3am, I'm out there fixing an outage you had no idea happened haha. With that being said, my job is causing more burm out than anything.

Having to work outside, is an automatic exemption. You get to hold on to your Man-card, but we are still allowed to point, laugh and mock you mercilessly!
If you are anything like me, don't get rid of your stuff, you'll be back. All it takes is a simple, unexpected snakebite and you'll be back in like a crazed dog. Right now, I am back into rifles, won't be but just a few weeks and I will be back into Clay Shooting and Fly Fishing. It's hard to have an addictive personality - that is why I don't meddle in drugs. Turkey season is around the corner, coyote season is in full swing right now, duck hunting this week, Spoonbill fishing is a month away - the list goes on and on.
There's no closed season for coyotes in my neck of the woods.

Oh I know your pain bud. With haven to work out side.. I'm a Tradesmen my self. I'm a field supervisor for a Fire Sprinkler company.And on call 24/7 365 since I'm probably the only guy that doesn't drink at my company.. winter is my busiest time of yr. Since landlords like to turn off heat to building that are vacant. And forget about the fire sprinkler system. And deal with freeze ups all the time. Or when the power goes out my air compressors and fire pumps don't work. At 11pm or 2am. And we cover the entire state of New Jersey. So I can get a call at 1am and have to take a rushed 2hr drive and meet with the Fire department or police that are on site... I usually get burnt out with work a couple times a yr. That's when I take my week off and relax...
I would much rather it be 0° then it be 85° with 75% humidity and 70%duepoint..you can always throw on extra layers or bibs and a jacket. There's nothing you can do for the heat. Except drink lots of water and bring a change of shirts and pants. To drive home in dry cloths not wet sweaty cloths..guess 40° to you is like 0° to me hahaha.. you should look into the carhart arctic extreme overalls. For your work at night. I can wear a pair of basketball short under them and I'm warm all day. My fingers are the only part that gets cold on me really.. and jeans are the worst to wear for work. Just a tip they hold the heat and cold because of the cotton. It's going to be like summer around here this week going up to the 40 -50° all week can't wait.👍👍 sorry for the rant about working. I also own a house so there is always something to do around here to break up the time spent running rc..... just got to find your balance. It will all be here and there when you feel the need for air under your tires... what else is there you like to do?? Shoot I would be golfing alot more I lived down there. That's for sure...

Sometimes trying something new related to the hobby can be helpful. I've been flying rc planes for over 10 years, in that time I've tried lots of different types of aircraft and styles of flying.

Over the last few years I have been losing the enjoyment due to different factors, finding a place to fly that is safe, the trend for everything going larger scale, which of course means more money. The hassle of daily life and work wearing me down.

I accidentally got a new infusion of joy, when I picked up my Arrma Mojave to play with when weather wouldn't allow flying. I had no idea I would enjoy surface vehicles as much as I do.

I don't have any basher buddies, so the forums are a great way to share the enjoyment. And the fact you guys are a bunch of like minded kooks makes it even better.

You have to remember that getting out and playing with your toys is supposed tp be fun, if it's not, you need to figure out what is keeping it from being fun.

I think you've just got the winter blahs, once the weather changes, you'll feel recharged.

I probably shouldn't complain because of how mild our "winters" are down here. But it's freaking miserable lol. When you're used to 80+ days with the summer time constantly hitting 100+ on the heat index. But trying to muster the courage to bare 40° weather and run my RCs seems unbearable lol. I also think I'm in a rut with the hobby. I came in way too hot and heavy. I read about rc burnout which I think applies to any hobby.

There's also a complete lack of interest in the hobby around me. Unless it's crawling or "racing" which is an hour+ from me. I've realized I like the bashing aspect more than anything. I really want to try sct racing but it's super limited and I really like the large scale poop. I know 3 people personally with an Xmaxx and I sold one of them a spare lol.

I'm in a rut, how do y'all get out of a hobby rut? Besides quitting haha. I plan on doing a 2wd drift rc to match my new project e36 m3. First world problems... This is a run on post with ADHD. So apply winter woahs, hobby ruts and general difficulties with your hobbies.
Yeah, I've been in the RC hobby rut a time or two. Sometimes you just gotta ride it out. Other times, set it aside for a while. What I've done is pick one or two of my RC's and focus on them. Back burner the rest. That and having both an indoor hobby and an outdoor hobby to move easily and equally between the two helps.

Coming off three years of running a back yard flat track grass oval. At one time had six stadium trucks in competition with each other. Woke up one day and sold them all off on Ebay. All but one. Bought a monster truck with the proceeds and went bashing. Bashing clears the mind for me. No rules and no schedules. Only just flat out fun.

Thinking for me, anyway, it becomes a rut when it's not fun anymore. Did six years in full-prep RC drag racing. Locally, regionally and nationally. Sponsored too. It became a job. A profession. The fun went out of it. Was not unhappy when it collapsed here in Texas back '09 -'10 as I recall. Find a way to keep fun in it and the rut fades into the background.

Hang in there, armykyle. Once knew a 1st Sgt that said, "It's O.K. to give in. It's O.K. to give out. Just don't give up." That's always stuck with me. Cheers. 'AC'

When I get bored I’ll build a different class or go deeper into progressing in the hobby. Such as making graphics for stickers and wraps. Learning to air brush and cut and add lexan pieces to existing bodies. Next one may be 3D printing. Really digging the air brushing for now.

I know how you feel. When I got my Jeep a few years back I lost interest in RC. So they just sat in the closet for 4 years. But last year I sold 5 of my Nitro’s to a buddy who wanted to get his sons into Nitro. I had to get them ready for him to run them and that rekindled my interest in RC. I’m enjoying it more now than ever.

When I get bored I’ll build a different class or go deeper into progressing in the hobby. Such as making graphics for stickers and wraps. Learning to air brush and cut and add lexan pieces to existing bodies. Next one may be 3D printing. Really digging the air brushing for now.
I just started 3D printing it's awesome. You can literally print anything that you can think of. For every step of life it's crazy the amount of crap these printers will put out. Got the Ender 3 V2 got to say it's a very easy printer to use and learn. Got to get a design program to start printing parts...
16441714973474767483526731305353.jpg

Hey Kyle you might even like printing also. It's not expensive at all 15 - 30$ a roll of filament. And that roll will print out alot of stuff. The printers run from a couple hundred to thousands. I got the Ender for $215. On blackfriday sales
I'm actually working on my overall work space and bench. Been looking at them same Ole blue tiles for decades since I bought a box. So I'm giving my self a work place upgrade. Will post up some pics when I'm done hopefully it will be done today.

Last edited:
Work has gone back to somewhat normal and the weather is back to normal kinda. And sat down and worked on two trucks. I had too much going on at once. Plus I found an RC I want to track down. A rampage XRE.

Probably going to have a little bash session during lunch tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's replies and listening to me cry.

Back