Who was wrenching today??? What did you do??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's messed up, but those tires are way cheaper when you buy them premounted to the plastic wheels. No big deal though, since I figured out how to easily remove them using acetone fumes. That's exactly what I did with these tires!

But your forgetting I'm lazy! 🤣

But your forgetting I'm lazy! 🤣
Actually, I didn't! This method is like that Ronco Showtime Rotisserie: just set it, and forget it!
This method is nearly effortless. Even to our ultra low standard! 🤣

Working on the HoBao Hyper SS today - did a front end alignment, ran into town and bought a new radio for it, a Sanwa MX-6. Got everything operating correctly but the throttle servo, sometimes when I let off where it is in neutral, the servo buzz's - wassup wit dat? And with the receiver, I can't shut the lid. Surely that old vintage cars receiver box wouldn't be smaller than one of these new MX-6 receivers, would it?
It sounds like your throttle is hitting it's closed position but the servo is still trying to go further.

Working on the HoBao Hyper SS today - did a front end alignment, ran into town and bought a new radio for it, a Sanwa MX-6. Got everything operating correctly but the throttle servo, sometimes when I let off where it is in neutral, the servo buzz's - wassup wit dat? And with the receiver, I can't shut the lid. Surely that old vintage cars receiver box wouldn't be smaller than one of these new MX-6 receivers, would it?
I would think that RX would fit in the RX box. Its not that big of a receiver. The SS RX box is pretty big. Do you have anything else in the RX box?

As for the servo, WF could be correct in his assessment but if not then it could also be caused by a bad servo. Sometimes servos will develop an issue where they can't find center properly and they will sit there and buzz or even chatter.

Last edited:
The 4 AA battery pack; but, it has a compartment for them too. I’ll snap a pic this evening
I would think that RX would fit in the RX box. Its not that big of a receiver. The SS RX box is pretty big. Do you have anything else in the RX box?

As for the servo, WF could be correct in his assessment but if not then it could also be caused by a bad servo. Sometimes servos will develop an issue where they can't find center properly and they will sit there and buzz or even chatter.
As for the servo buzz - it seems strong and moves smoothly, I will try to make some adjustments. I can tweak the trigger just a touch and usually get it to stop

The 4 AA battery pack; but, it has a compartment for them too. I’ll snap a pic this evening

As for the servo buzz - it seems strong and moves smoothly, I will try to make some adjustments. I can tweak the trigger just a touch and usually get it to stop
Did you set the endpoints on the servo?

Did you set the endpoints on the servo?
uhhhhh - do I know how to do that.... :eek:

Here is the receiver box on the HoBao Hyper SS the 4-AA battery pack is to the right and the Radio Receiver is too tall. I did mush it all in there but it is certainly not water resistant anymore.

Attachments

• HoBao reciver box.jpg
    HoBao reciver box.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Only thing I did today was installed the motor and motor mount on the Xmaxx.

I was going to fire up the HoBao but my Glow-plug ignitor was dead. Then I JB Welded on the Drone, cannot find the replacement parts for it. Man, some of these companies obsolete their parts so fast - that thing isn't even two years old. Pitiful.

Here is the receiver box on the HoBao Hyper SS the 4-AA battery pack is to the right and the Radio Receiver is too tall. I did mush it all in there but it is certainly not water resistant anymore.
Hmmm the stock RX must have been smaller? You might see is a 5 cell stick pack will fit in there then maybe you could free up more space to put the RX? At the very least Id repalce the AAs with a 5 cell hump pack. Just a thought

I was going to fire up the HoBao but my Glow-plug ignitor was dead. Then I JB Welded on the Drone, cannot find the replacement parts for it. Man, some of these companies obsolete their parts so fast - that thing isn't even two years old. Pitiful.
Its soooo true. Especially if its not a very popular rig.

Hmmm the stock RX must have been smaller? You might see is a 5 cell stick pack will fit in there then maybe you could free up more space to put the RX? At the very least Id repalce the AAs with a 5 cell hump pack. Just a thought
You are going to have to explain the "5 cell stick pack" and the "5 cell hump pack" I got no clue - this uses a 4 cell AA pack

Got my new Hobbystar servo RCjuice sent me in the crawler today. Didn't realize the Hobbywing WP1080 only goes to 7.4v for the BEC voltage so not sure what I'm even getting out of the servo unfortunately. Quoted at 486 oz-in. at 8.4v and 347 at 6.0v so maybe 400 oz-in. Haven't gotten to really test it yet as we've been getting rain and bad winds. I'll mess around on my little wood pile track in the garage but would like to get it out on the track and rocks.
20211021_200300.jpg
20211021_200318.jpg

You are going to have to explain the "5 cell stick pack" and the "5 cell hump pack" I got no clue - this uses a 4 cell AA pack
The 5 cell packs aside from generally having better run time also provide give you the ability to run a rechargeable battery and still get the same voltage as 4 alkalines. Stick packs are where the 5 cells are all in a row and a hump pack has 3 cells on teh bottom and 2 on the top forming a "hump".
61fjlHeDwxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61AosqCoOoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Got my new Hobbystar servo RCjuice sent me in the crawler today. Didn't realize the Hobbywing WP1080 only goes to 7.4v for the BEC voltage so not sure what I'm even getting out of the servo unfortunately. Quoted at 486 oz-in. at 8.4v and 347 at 6.0v so maybe 400 oz-in. Haven't gotten to really test it yet as we've been getting rain and bad winds. I'll mess around on my little wood pile track in the garage but would like to get it out on the track and rocks. View attachment 135405View attachment 135406
You could always run an external BEC to get the full power out of it.

The 5 cell packs aside from generally having better run time also provide give you the ability to run a rechargeable battery and still get the same voltage as 4 alkalines. Stick packs are where the 5 cells are all in a row and a hump pack has 3 cells on teh bottom and 2 on the top forming a "hump".
View attachment 135409

View attachment 135410

You could always run an external BEC to get the full power out of it.
Ya that definitely was a thought after seeing the lower BEC voltage with the 1080. Just not familiar with external BEC's at all and may be difficult to find a place to mount it in the crawler. Also doesn't an external BEC have to be ran on its own battery? Again not familiar at all with them so excuse my ignorance 😂

I solder my BECs into the lipo plug on the ESC. So that way the ESC and BEC are both being powered independently of one another but by the same battery(s). Then plug the BEC in to the BATT port on the RX. HOWEVER! in order to do this you must eliminate the positive wire from the ESC plug before plugging the ESC in to the RX other wise you're going to over volt your RX and fry it. In order to eliminate the positive wire from the ESC plug without altering the ESC plug itself I usually make an adapter and then eliminate the positive wire in the adapter. Otherwise you can just remove the positive pin from the plug without cutting it and put some heatshrink around it.

View attachment 135428
View attachment 135430
Wow ya that seems like a huge headache for very little reward just to get another 1v to the servo. Also think my question was just if the BEC needs its own power source but thanks for the overly detailed reaponse👍🏼

Wow ya that seems like a huge headache for very little reward just to get another 1v to the servo. Also think my question was just if the BEC needs its own power source but thanks for the overly detailed reaponse👍🏼
Its actually pretty easy to do. Takes about 15 minutes. Whether its worth it or not is up to you. Theres other benefits to running a BEC but I'm afraid that if I told you what they were Id go in to too much detail.

When you install a new servo, you have to set the endpoints. There should be info in your manual explaining how to do this on your radio. Basically, when you pull your throttle trigger forward, your servo is going to try to move to it's maximum rotation in that direction. If the linkage prevents that your servo motor will be in a bind trying to continue its travel. If you don't have your servo centered, and connect it to the linkage and turn the RC on, the first thing the servo is going to do is try to center itself. If your linkage is bottomed out, the servo is going to sit there and try to move. Is this what is happening? Or have you figured it out?

@Pat_ranch is the MAN!

The Aluminum front, inner Porter axle cover for the Redcat Gen8V2 came yesterday. It will be replacing the stock plastic one that broke last weekend. While I was at it, I also replaced the stock servo with an old Hitec HT-7990TH I've had for awhile on my old Axial ZR10 comp crawler. This was the servo of choice, for comp crawlers, 10 years ago.
I'll try to get the new upgrades trail tested tomorrow.
1017212110a.jpg
1023211140c.jpg
1023211145.jpg
1023211206.jpg

Last edited: