What is the make of this Nitro car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have been trying to identify this and so far have had no success.

Is this HPI RS4, or a knock off of some sort.

Got it fairly cheap, and wanted to rebuild it and get it going.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6831.JPG
    IMG_6831.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6832.JPG
    IMG_6832.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6837.JPG
    IMG_6837.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6838.JPG
    IMG_6838.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6839.JPG
    IMG_6839.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 96
I'm leaning towrds knockoff at the moment. Hpi nitro rs4 3 had purple and titanium color chassis. In the later years they started going titanium color.

The mini nitro rs4 had purple or silver chassis. The exhaust and fuel tank are dead on, and the motor resembles a .12, but the cooling head and chassis are red, unless the camera or lighting through it off. Hpi also uses black fuel caps and pullys.

What brand is on the reciever and servos?

Last edited:
I believe it is an OFNA Colt Mini. The body is most likely a Tamiya, the exhaust is likely HPI. Engine is OFNA FC.

Hi Guys

I have been trying to identify this and so far have had no success.

Is this HPI RS4, or a knock off of some sort.

Got it fairly cheap, and wanted to rebuild it and get it going.

Cheers
Welcome it's not a hpi for sure.. does the engine have compression? If so install new plug and new fuel. And fire it up.. 🔥 do you have controller
So I found this and that is a kyosho cox mini..I believe has all the same markings

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/218852-vintage-kyosho-cox-mini-cooper-and-1-part-needed/

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions kind people.

Yes, it is a extremely cool looking car, especially being a mini cooper, at least for me, which is the reason I got it.
Being a traxxas fanboy I had no idea who made this, as there are no company logos on it that I could see.

Engine is low on compression, air filter I don't have for it, and fuel tank is real dirty, so it was more of a long term project to restore this baby to its former glory. And, yes, it came with a Futaba radio receiver and gun controller.

Its weird, even the engine plate, where it specifies the make or the size of it, is just blank.
I think an HSP engine would be a direct swap, although I do have a TRX 2.5 lying around and was wondering if it can be made to fit, with some modifications.

Let me know if you require more close up photos.

Thank you!

Hi all

Just a small update on this.
So, I broke in a new VX 18 engine on this mini, and was blown away at how well this HSP engine runs.
I mean, it was super easy to tune, and temps are so stable.
I have always, and I mean always struggled with Traxxas engines to keep them running at lower temps (they tend to go close to 230 celsius).
No idea for how long the engine will run, but HSP has definitely conviced me in the quality of their engines.
Naturally I sealed the engine before installing.
Suffice to say that this mini now puts a smile on whoever sees it running.
It was a joy working on this restoration project.
All in all, this is my favourite nitro RC due to how "cute" it is!

Work done:

New Engine installed and broken in at around 100C, did 5 tanks of slowly driving around before going WOT for a sec or so.
Body cooling cutouts front and back, plus body crack repairs with shoe goo and plaster mesh tape
New tamiya tires
Machined a belt pulley myself (see photo)
Bumpers modification and repair
New decals
Wheels paint stripped to original color (someone painted them grey and paint started to come off)
Servo horn replacement
Exhaust sealing, it was leaking oil all around.

IMG_6974.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6976.JPG
IMG_6977.JPG
IMG_6978.JPG
IMG_6979.JPG
IMG_6980.JPG

Last edited:
Really cool little rig. Talk about 10lbs of 💩 in a 5lb bag! So much jammed into so small of a space! Got any video of it running around?

Man, that thing is in awesome shape! And it's a very cool little car.

Really cool little rig. Talk about 10lbs of 💩 in a 5lb bag! So much jammed into so small of a space! Got any video of it running around?
I agree. Like those civics a few years ago that looked like they got rear ended, in the dealer lot.
Body on please. 🤣

I wonder how long developement took.

What do you guys reckon, is it tuned good?

Was running at 115 C, when filming this.

I only adjust the idle, and HSN (gradually leaning after break in), LSN I thought needed no adjustment.

On the second video, I richened HSN buy quarter of a turn, but it ran better on the first video, before the adjustment.

Could probably lean it out a bit on the LSN, but it was doing pretty good.

Throw a ziptie on the fuel lid and have it come out the back window, then you can fill it more easily without removing the body.

Pretty cool little car. Too bad they didn't shoe horn a 2 speed in it!

Could probably lean it out a bit on the LSN, but it was doing pretty good.

Throw a ziptie on the fuel lid and have it come out the back window, then you can fill it more easily without removing the body.

Pretty cool little car. Too bad they didn't shoe horn a 2 speed in it!
Thanks!

I have a small issue with it, after the car is shutdown by putting your finger over the exhaust or it runs out of fuel byitself, there is some sort of back pressure which opens up the tank lid and sprays the fuel/oil all over the car. I pretty much have to hold the lid down when shutting it down.
Tank seal is fine, and seals quite tight. I wonder if its this type of exhaust.

Could just be a weak spring. Could stop it by touching the flywheel with a screwdriver hand

I think the spring is also fine, feels strong, same as my other RC's. Also, where would I even find spare parts for this little guy.

Never attempted to do it via flywheel, will give it a go next time.

Never had a prob like this with my traxxas nitros, and I have a few.

Cheers

Thanks!

I have a small issue with it, after the car is shutdown by putting your finger over the exhaust or it runs out of fuel byitself, there is some sort of back pressure which opens up the tank lid and sprays the fuel/oil all over the car. I pretty much have to hold the lid down when shutting it down.
Tank seal is fine, and seals quite tight. I wonder if its this type of exhaust.

Nice car ,it also sounds good!..😍👍

Look high and low. Ebay, ebay international and shops that catered to nitro is a good start.

After that, your probably gonna be buying cars to feed this one.

If it were me, I would treat it like a sunday driver but I'm not hear to tell you what to do as it is yours.