What is the make of this Nitro car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look high and low. Ebay, ebay international and shops that catered to nitro is a good start.

After that, your probably gonna be buying cars to feed this one.

If it were me, I would treat it like a sunday driver but I'm not hear to tell you what to do as it is yours.
Agreed. this car is like a once a month drive. Its become one of my favs due to how small and awesome it looks. Plus, I have always been a fan of mini!

I mainly drive a nitro rustler, its my main go to car, we also have a slash nitro and revo.

I have also acquired a Savage X for a good price, so that's my next project. Will post about it in a separate thread. I wonder how old it is though, as it still has a crystal receiver and transmitter.

IMG_6996.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

Nice collection ,I have a few vintage cars as well that I have to watch what I do with them
as parts are very hard to find!..🤦‍♂️😎

Nice collection ,I have a few vintage cars as well that I have to watch what I do with them
as parts are very hard to find!..🤦‍♂️😎

I find rustler nitro to be the best nitro rc when it comes to simplicity to work on, fuel efficiency, cheap parts....etc.

I have also installed a 3.3 on it.

:)

Agreed. this car is like a once a month drive. Its become one of my favs due to how small and awesome it looks. Plus, I have always been a fan of mini!

I mainly drive a nitro rustler, its my main go to car, we also have a slash nitro and revo.

I have also acquired a Savage X for a good price, so that's my next project. Will post about it in a separate thread. I wonder how old it is though, as it still has a crystal receiver and transmitter.

View attachment 142159

View attachment 142160
You seem set. I have 2 tmaxx, 2 nitro sports se, went from 1 to 3 hpi nitro rs4 3, 2 nitro stampedes, and building a nitro slash and I'm probably forgetting some.

The slash and tmaxx are the only ones still in production. 🤣😃

Looking forward to a savvy thread. Always admired that truck.

No Traxxas in my garage ,I have Ofna's ,Team Associated ,Mugen an Kyosho!..😎
My opinion ,just can't stomach them from what they done to other companies as they
are still threatening them!

Look high and low. Ebay, ebay international and shops that catered to nitro is a good start.

After that, your probably gonna be buying cars to feed this one.

If it were me, I would treat it like a sunday driver but I'm not hear to tell you what to do as it is yours.
Personally I know nothing about this, but their customer support and spare parts availability is second to none where we live.

I was a bit annoyed when I found out that HSP was easier to tune and ran cooler than their TRX Engines, they have always ran too hot on me, no matter how well I tuned them, and get them on the rich side. In the end, I stopped worrying about the temps, as long as they are below 300F, and also I stopped using the IR temp gun, and rather just touch feel it.
I think its safe to say we are still big Traxxas fans.
Orange and Red Slash, are 4WD VXL's.

Thanks

IMG_7005.JPG

No Traxxas in my garage ,I have Ofna's ,Team Associated ,Mugen an Kyosho!..😎
My opinion ,just can't stomach them from what they done to other companies as they
are still threatening them!
I'm trying to convince my dad to let me sell my Slash, I have seen what they have done to companies. It's Hobao time!

Last edited:
I'm trying to convince my dad to let me sell my Slash, I have seen what they have done to companies. It's Hobao time!

There is nothing wrong with owning a Traxxas ,I personally don't like their tactics in trying to
force people into buying their products by forcing other companies out of business ,companies
that many people grown to love an relied on for parts ,there really isn't nothing wrong with their
products ,it is the people running their corporation!..:thumbs-down:🤮
Also ,they don't make a big block!...😂😎

I like your storage. Nice and organized. I have trucks parked everywhere. 😂

I find rustler nitro to be the best nitro rc when it comes to simplicity to work on, fuel efficiency, cheap parts....etc.

I have also installed a 3.3 on it.

:)
My first was a nitro sport, with the trx pro .15. A tad simpler I think due to no steering bell crank, but I agree. And then I bought an hpi rs4 3. For a 4wd, its almost as simple as the 2wd nitro sport and rustler.

The nitro stampede is slightly more difficult, and the tmaxx.... that can be a pain.

There is nothing wrong with owning a Traxxas ,I personally don't like their tactics in trying to
force people into buying their products by forcing other companies out of business ,companies
that many people grown to love an relied on for parts ,there really isn't nothing wrong with their
products ,it is the people running their corporation!..:thumbs-down:🤮
Also ,they don't make a big block!...😂😎
There is no way for me to get it in running condition without supporting Traxxas. :(

So, after being in storage for 3 years, which is what I have been told by the previous owner, I took the Savage to the park today.

Fired right up, and ran really good, shifting into second gear on the first run.
Only slight adjustments on HSN and idle and it was running like a champ, at around 110C

I expected all sorts of problems, from what they call HALF TANK LEAN, to not shifting into second gear.
Would love to obtain an HPI RS4 but they are non existent where I live. You guys are quite lucky in the States.

It will be parked away for a while now, as I realized that yellow filter element has completely started to disintegrate.
Will need to order a new one from JennyRC, when its in stock.
I tried fitting a Revo/Slash or Rustler filter, but spur gear is in the way.

Last edited:
So, after being in storage for 3 years, which is what I have been told by the previous owner, I took the Savage to the park today.

Fired right up, and ran really good, shifting into second gear on the first run.
Only slight adjustments on HSN and idle and it was running like a champ, at around 110C

I expected all sorts of problems, from what they call HALF TANK LEAN, to not shifting into second gear.
Would love to obtain an HPI RS4 but they are non existent where I live. You guys are quite lucky in the States.

It will be parked away for a while now, as I realized that yellow filter element has completely started to disintegrate.
Will need to order a new one from JennyRC, when its in stock.
I tried fitting a Revo/Slash or Rustler filter, but spur gear is in the way.

In order to keep mine running, I bought the only spare chassis I could find. Had front and rear diffs and housings. Paid over $100 for it from P.R. Some 5$ parts here I paid $30-35 for from france. I'm buying $15 spurs now in the states.

Next up piston snd sleeves at $70 each!

Quite a few nitro rs4s on the Bay in the States.

In order to keep mine running, I bought the only spare chassis I could find. Had front and rear diffs and housings. Paid over $100 for it from P.R. Some 5$ parts here I paid $30-35 for from france. I'm buying $15 spurs now in the states.

Next up piston snd sleeves at $70 each!

Quite a few nitro rs4s on the Bay in the States.

Thats some serious investment you are making there.
I paid for the whole truck in mint condition, same price as two gallons of nitro fuel.
Tbh I only hunt for the bargains, then enjoy restoring, driving and in the end selling to make room for new cars.
This time I was super lucky, as the savage is mint, but comes with the old crystal radio gear, works good though, its just that the range is quite limited.

Hi all

Just a small update on this.
So, I broke in a new VX 18 engine on this mini, and was blown away at how well this HSP engine runs.
I mean, it was super easy to tune, and temps are so stable.
I have always, and I mean always struggled with Traxxas engines to keep them running at lower temps (they tend to go close to 230 celsius).
No idea for how long the engine will run, but HSP has definitely conviced me in the quality of their engines.
Naturally I sealed the engine before installing.
Suffice to say that this mini now puts a smile on whoever sees it running.
It was a joy working on this restoration project.
All in all, this is my favourite nitro RC due to how "cute" it is!

Work done:

New Engine installed and broken in at around 100C, did 5 tanks of slowly driving around before going WOT for a sec or so.
Body cooling cutouts front and back, plus body crack repairs with shoe goo and plaster mesh tape
New tamiya tires
Machined a belt pulley myself (see photo)
Bumpers modification and repair
New decals
Wheels paint stripped to original color (someone painted them grey and paint started to come off)
Servo horn replacement
Exhaust sealing, it was leaking oil all around.

View attachment 142055

View attachment 142056
View attachment 142057View attachment 142058View attachment 142059View attachment 142060View attachment 142061
This thing is COOL!!! I want one!! And do a rotary in it with some other mods!! Sell it to me 😀 lol

It is indeed!

Whoever sees it in person, falls in love with it.

Would love to get one of those Tamiya Nitro minis, but they are so expensive on ebay.

Thank you!

Can someone please tell me, without creating a separate thread...

Is this HPI RS4 or its a clone?

Thanks

1703984893.jpg

Hi Guys

I have had a runaway with this car and it smashed a few times into the kerb.
Broke the wheels and body a bit, but surprisingly car held up.
Thinking its the servo, I order a few of those DS servos from aliexpress, throttle works fine, but steering will not center.
If I steer to the left then let go, car will still be turning slightly to the left, same happens when I go right, it goes slightly to the right.
Servo horn, and linkage looks good, there is almost zero slop in the wheels turning.

In the end it was the power pack that was faulty, though voltage was fine, and this was the last thing I suspected, so invested many hours into troubleshooting.

I tried two servos, same result.
Do you think its the servo or something else?

Cheers