What Engine do you recommend for a buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Blamo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What engine is a good choice that has the following: #1 Is very reliable. #2 Is relatively easy to tune and holds it well. #3 has all around great power, ie. powerful bottom end with excellent acceleration and good top speed. # 4 doesn't cost a furtune (under $275.00). I would like a .21 so that one day, when I get decent enough, I can race competatively.
I await your excellent recommendations.

I'm not sure the V-spec could make the cut in the reliability department, as I just witnessed one snap a con-rod at the track this past Monday. I was watching it drive around the track and it seemed fine, the guy said it had about 12-15 tanks thru it. A month previously, almost the same thing happened at another track I was at. So I will not be taking a risk with the V-spec until it's issues have been worked out, but thanks for the recommendation.
I've got an OS RG.21 nib sitting in my Prospec but am hesitant to run it, just not sure it will have enough all around power. How is it? Have you run one of these? I've heard that it has great bottom end but limited on top, is that true?

it is, but use the lack of power to improve ur lap times overall. u'll figure out how to keep ur momentum up and place emphasis on handling and driving. let the others overpower themselves.

-Ult

Good point, but does the engine have enough "get up and go' to still be a good engine once your skills increase?

I would get something a tad better than a RG. Like Ult said you don't want to over do it like I did (Wasp .28 in MP777) but from what I hear the RG will leave you wanting more. Something like this may be about what you want. I have never ran either engine personnaly but from what I hear that may be better than the RG.

Last edited:
This onw is easy get a novarossi p5 It's 279.99 but whats 4 dollars. The engine is great I can't say enough about it. Its got great low end and good top speed it's a great engine. Get it you will love it.

pick one and come down to mills man....I put my fantom .27 in my XB8 and it's freaking ridiculous fast man....you gotta check it out saturday.....I also got another RG for the mugen, If I get my servos back from repair I'll be running 2 setups....you can see for yourself what a lowly RG can do.....

I just won two mills on EBAY!!! Woohoot. So far an OS 21 RG-X ( P ) and A Picco omega 21 XT Pull start. The only engine I want now is that Fantom 27. I have been thinking of that one for some time now so it will be in my future soon. RushRC will be getting another call from me! LOL

Drivers are always the key to winning. A set up with the best and an RBS72 can still lose to an under powered mill. Crappy drivers have crappy habits and the only way they win is luck no way else.

I've been running an RG in my S3. just in backyard practicing I'm beginning to realize the lack of power that exists. That's not too say it's not a good engine. For my personal tastes I would probably prefer something that's more torquey though. Something that can break loose more easily. But for the price you can't beat it. I figure since you have a more open budget it would be better to get something a bit higher end. I'm gonna have my fun and learn as much as I can with my RG but I'm pretty sure it'll be a backup engine come next race season.

either 1 is a great backup, practice, testing, and learner engine. if u want a lil more ooomph and a cheap rebuilds, look at the GS b01

-Ult

RB S7II all the way.

I wouldn't swap 2 V-spec's or any Rossi lump for mine.

I NEVER see people having problems with RB's everything else yes, RB no.

The S7II MIGHT be a tiny amount slower on top engine and acceleration (only might) but it goes like hell, will run all day and lasts longer than anything else.

Failing that, I'd go for the Collari 7 port, huge performance for no money.

I finally kept an engine for longer than 4 gallons and it blew a conrod bushing at 5 gallons...cause I got dirt in it.....it was an RG...I can run mine against most guys w/ the big bucks mills and the ONLY place I fing it lacking is the top end on long straights....lessen what ratio are you running? I run a 14t CB and whatever the stock XB8 spur is and I break traction pretty easily on command w/ my mill.........I agree w/ you guys on the longer lasting aspects of the other stuff but after I blew mine last week I sold the head for 30 the Carb for 30 and the Filter for 20 off my RG....so I paid 10 bucks for a new one....I dunno bout you guys but the resale factor comes into play w/ me....the crank is still like new too I bet I could sell that and actually make money each time I blow an RG.....on another note Jon the Fantom is wicked...I've been running it in my street w/ road tires and the 1/10scales are chasing me......evil little toys....
if you want a deal on the fantom .27
http://www.southeastrc.com/item/FAN01041
150 bucks + 7 shipping.....

One thing you have to keep in mind is what type of tracks do you plan to run on. Most of my driving is high speed, longer tracks, with a few technical sections. So, torque is not on the top of my list. The V-Spec in the S3 was bought as an all around motor, but I prefer the super high end of my Hyper 8 port. Also, are you limiting yourself to a .21? If so, then some of the recommendations here will not apply. I also like the P 5 and the Collari 8 port. There was a recent mag review on the Collai.

Well I went and did it, I bought a P5! Slightly over my budget, but oh well! Now I'm going to sell my Hyper 8 port for $85., It's in excellent shape with very little usage, but I just don't care for it. I should be breaking in the P5 tomorrow. I guess I'll do two tanks on a stand @ 200-210, then drive very slowly for a few tanks, increasing as I go. I'll begin tuning around the 6th tank.
I've gotta quit spending so much Mula, sick I tell ya,sick!!!

Yo, Fish,where you at!! I sentz ya an email or two and ya didn't reply, Wasz up!

dont sell the hyper. use it or the mayhem engine for practice,testing, and fun. save that p5 for race days only

-Ult

Shouldn't you practice with the same engine you will race with? I also have an OS RG, which I'm told has more bottom end then the Hyper. The Hyper just seems wimpy on the bottom. My other engines are a Crono RS3, REX XRP528R 8 port,and the stock sportwerks.26. So I guess I'm used to hi-torque engines.
I'm also switching to 30% fuel, either Trinity Monster 30% (I've run the same brand w/20% with good results)or Odonnel 30%. I'd like to hear any suggestions "ya'll" may have.

OD fuel for sure. comes in 30 RTR (high oil) and regular (12% oil)

when i mean practice, when u go to track to practice, not race day. heck i have a time even validating spendin alot on an engine b/c i know its gonna be only for racing but still silly of me to run just floggin around making laps testing.

if u have an RG, go w/that. or the sportwerks

-Ult

Back