Best new nitro rc under 350

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I was blown away by Traxxas EZ start, the realized its not that good, because that little motor starts smoking and just weakens over time.
Then I though Rotor start was awesome, until I realized it destroys OWB's.
Now once one knows how to tune the car properly, pull start is the way to go, and will last your forever, as long as you know what you are doing and car is tuned.

Have given my nitro slash with a chevy body and good bash these few days, after 1.5 years or no usage, it fired right up and reminded me how tricky and thirsty 3.3 is to tune. In the end I gave up to get to idle low, and have a good tune, its just impossible.
It drives beautifully though, takes the corners really well, does not flip over or wheelie.

It does look sexy however, love the body!

slashchevy2.jpg

slashchevy3.jpg

slashchevy4.jpg

slashchevy5.jpg

slashchevy6.jpg

slashchevy7.jpg

That is an awesome body. I love classic square body trucks. It doesn't matter the brand. Basically you are saying the ez start becomes problematic over time and is just better to switch to pull start. Have you had any transmission problems with the slash. Also what the heck is a OWB?

Last edited:
I like the neo a lot. It looks to be better built than the Traxxas nitro cars. I have heard of many people breaking pull starts on nitro cars that have them. Is this a common issue with pull starts or is this just people incorrectly using them.
I haven’t had any problems with mine. I think because I had watched videos before and knew not to be too rough with the pull start. If you don’t yank it too far or when it’s too tight, it should be fine.

I haven’t had any problems with mine. I think because I had watched videos before and knew not to be too rough with the pull start. If you don’t yank it too far or when it’s too tight, it should be fine.
I may buy the neo. Just have to wait for the price to go back down.

what the heck is a OWB?

A "one-way bearing", which allows the starter to transmit force into the engine and then freewheel once it starts up. They can wear out such that they don't "grab" when you try to start the engine, keeping an extra on hand is a good idea.

That is an awesome body. I love classic square body trucks. It doesn't matter the brand. Basically you are saying the ez start becomes problematic over time and is just better to switch to pull start. Have you had any transmission problems with the slash. Also what the heck is a OWB?

Have to agree, that body is just so good.
Slash comes with a single speed tranny, no issues, I think its very solid.
As a beginner, I say stick with EZ start since the car already comes with it, just make sure you let go of the EZ start button as soon as you hear the little motor having difficulties turning over the engine, otherwise you will smoke it.

Have to agree, that body is just so good.
Slash comes with a single speed tranny, no issues, I think its very solid.
As a beginner, I say stick with EZ start since the car already comes with it, just make sure you let go of the EZ start button as soon as you hear the little motor having difficulties turning over the engine, otherwise you will smoke it.
Smart. The ez start is similar to a starter on a real car. You will smoke a real starter if you crank the engine for a while.

I really like the ez start system. I have read if you treat them right they will last a long time.

I really like the ez start system. I have read if you treat them right they will last a long time.

They are not good, it sounds like a great idea, but you will end up replacing it sooner or later.
By all means try it and see how you like it.

I’ve had several EZ start wands(currently have 3) and I’ve never had an issue with any of them. They make getting started in Nitro quite a bit easier. A pull start is fine once you have some experience and better understand what’s going on with your engine. Just my.02

I’ve had several EZ start wands(currently have 3) and I’ve never had an issue with any of them. They make getting started in Nitro quite a bit easier. A pull start is fine once you have some experience and better understand what’s going on with your engine. Just my.02
My EZ start on my Jato is terrible. Sometimes it works, sometimrs it doesn't. A pullstart to me is no different than starting a weedeater. In my opinion, they just tried to get too fancy with the EZ start, instead of going with what works.

I found a decent looking nitro rustler on eBay with a .15 and a pull start. The body is cut weird. The wiring looks good, should I start with something like this or buy new and start there?

Screenshot_20230418-120910.png

Screenshot_20230418-120901.png

I found a decent looking nitro rustler on eBay with a .15 and a pull start. The body is cut weird. The wiring looks good, should I start with something like this or buy new and start there?

View attachment 163919

View attachment 163920

Going vintage you will have issues sourcing parts and the cost of them will be more.
You will be breaking parts since you are new to Nitro, best to buy something which can be sourced easily.
Your best bet is traxxas.

Going vintage you will have issues sourcing parts and the cost of them will be more.
You will be breaking parts since you are new to Nitro, best to buy something which can be sourced easily.
Your best bet is traxxas.
Nitro rustler is still in production. I was looking at this for the body until I saw it chopped up.

I have seen the .15 is durable. You can still buy one new for $130.
I also like the vintage tires more than the new ones.

My experience with the Pro.15 has always been good. They are easier to tune and more forgiving than the 2.5 or 3.3 You’re taking a risk buying used because there’s no way of knowing what condition it’s in. But if you can get it for a good price, go for it.

What is the top speed of a .15 nitro rustler. I don't really care about top speed as long it is reliable.

Nitro rustler is still in production. I was looking at this for the body until I saw it chopped up.
I don't really mind the cut body. It gives me an excuse to paint a new one. This one is my favorite. Plus it is period correct for a vintage rustler. I think I should paint it red to match my IRL truck

0375_1 (1).jpg

IMG_20230322_115616793~2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really mind the cut body. It gives me an excuse to paint a new one😁. This one is my favorite. Plus it is period correct for a vintage rustler.

View attachment 163938
How does it feel to spend someone else's money? 🤣😆 I want one now.

I have an xl1 rustler, ain't nothing older but the mechanical speed control models. It had a very similar body which is why I was looking at it. That Ford is sweet though. I love the rims too.