Best new nitro rc under 350

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBS4EVER

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I have 4 years experience with electric rcs but am a gearhead and love real engines. I am looking into my first engine powered rc. I have looked at the Baja 5b rovan and found it would be too big and impractical for my area. I know the nitro rcs are harder to tune and can be more finiky, but they are more practical in smaller areas. I want to keep my budget under 350 as I know fuel and other accessories needed to run nitro add to the cost. I have found many decent looking options and have listed them below.

-HPI Bullet st/mt $310-350
-Traxxas nitro rustler $335
-Traxxas nitro slash $350
- kyosho inferno neo 3.0 $350
- exceed Forza .18 2 speed $250
Out of these, which is the best or tell me if there are any other good budget nitro rcs. I would maybe consider a vintage or used one if it has good parts support. I would appreciate the input.

Last edited:
What's your terrain and driving style? I'm building a nitro slash, and had 2 nitro sports for over 10 years. The Rusty is the same but has a 2.5 instead of a .15. These cars are good for donuts and spinning around due to rwd. The other cars are 4wd and will have traction. I can say the nitro sport was the occasional drive shaft or spur gear and alot of fuel. The nitro slash may break more due to more torque.

The hpi bullet looks neat, almost like a nitro rs4 and savage blended into one. I can't comment on this or the kyosho as I have never owned one.

What's your terrain and driving style? I'm building a nitro slash, and had 2 nitro sports for over 10 years. The Rusty is the same but has a 2.5 instead of a .15. These cars are good for donuts and spinning around due to rwd. The other cars are 4wd and will have traction. I can say the nitro sport was the occasional drive shaft or spur gear and alot of fuel. The nitro slash may break more due to more torque.

The hpi bullet looks neat, almost like a nitro rs4 and savage blended into one. I can't comment on this or the kyosho as I have never owned one.
I drive 90 Percent on grass and gravel, and occasionally on road. I want something that handles decent and won't be tipping over. I won't do large jumps( I have a granite for that) I don't want an on road car because it would never get used. I have had experience with brushed 2wd in the past and found them to be more fun than 4x4 for general driving. What is your ez start experience. Is it worth getting a rustler for that and rwd.

To get started with Nitro I would recommend the Nitro Rustler. I had one in my collection. It was quite fast and a lot of fun. I had Nitro Slash but it was a little harder to control. It is somewhat over powered with the 3.3. I’ve never had an issue with the EZ Start on any of the Traxxas Nitro’s I’ve had, and it makes starting a lot easier than a pull-start, especially when you’re just learning Nitro.

The Exceed is a re-brand of HSP, and though I have a soft spot for them, (I've got all 5 of their 1/10th nitros and 2x of their nitro 1/16ths), they're not ideal for first-time users. They have various minor mechanical issues that are easily diagnosed and fixed once you're familiar with them, but it adds to the already steep learning curve of nitro if you're just getting started.

Their 2-speeds don't quite have the torque for running in grass, I'd recommend their Monster Truck, "94188"

They will have the cheapest replacement parts of any brand, an entire new engine is under $100.

For a first nitro, the Kyosho won't disappoint. Their RTR models are very "crisp" and finished, and the Inferno is probably one of the most recognizable and proven buggies out there.

The Exceed is a re-brand of HSP, and though I have a soft spot for them, (I've got all 5 of their 1/10th nitros and 2x of their nitro 1/16ths), they're not ideal for first-time users. They have various minor mechanical issues that are easily diagnosed and fixed once you're familiar with them, but it adds to the already steep learning curve of nitro if you're just getting started.

Their 2-speeds don't quite have the torque for running in grass, I'd recommend their Monster Truck, "94188"

They will have the cheapest replacement parts of any brand, an entire new engine is under $100.

For a first nitro, the Kyosho won't disappoint. Their RTR models are very "crisp" and finished, and the Inferno is probably one of the most recognizable and proven buggies out there.
I like the kyosho, but parts support is not great and the parts are also expensive. Otherwise it looks really good.
To get started with Nitro I would recommend the Nitro Rustler. I had one in my collection. It was quite fast and a lot of fun. I had Nitro Slash but it was a little harder to control. It is somewhat over powered with the 3.3. I’ve never had an issue with the EZ Start on any of the Traxxas Nitro’s I’ve had, and it makes starting a lot easier than a pull-start, especially when you’re just learning Nitro.
I was leaning towards The nitro rustler. I am wondering if you have had any issues with the plastic diff and idler gears.

I like the kyosho, but parts support is not great and the parts are also expensive. Otherwise it looks really good.

I was leaning towards The nitro rustler. I am wondering if you have had any issues with the plastic diff and idler gears.
I never had any issues. I have 2 sports and 2 stampedes, had all 3 trx motors, .15, 2.5, and 3.3.

The plastic gears also self lubricate.

I have ruled out the exceed and the slash, I now have to decide between the rustler, the bullet or the kyosho.
I have heard the HPI Bullet is fragile. I am wondering people's opinion on it. I found it on eBay on sale for $310. The kyosho would be the most expensive and I've heard the engine is really good, but parts support is meh and the available parts are extremely expensive. The Traxxas has more plastic parts than the other two and is the oldest of the three. I also have read they are harder to tune.

Last edited:
My favorite two nitro options are the neo and the rustler.

My favorite two nitro options are the neo and the rustler.
The Rustler is one I have never owned or driven, but it reminds me a lot of my Jato. And if it drives anything like my nitro Jato, I would get the Slash instead. I have driven a nitro Slash and it was a lot more fun to drive than my Jato. It jumps great, corners well under throttle, and can handle lots of different terrains.

The Jato (and I kinda assume the Rustler) is good at running long straight lines, on smooth surfaces, then jamming on the breaks and turning around (slowly) for another run. It just does not like to turn, especially with any kind of speed. It does not jump well either. And it absolutely hates being on anything resembling a track.

So like I said, if the Rustler is anything like the Jato... I would definitely get the Slash.

The Rustler is one I have never owned or driven, but it reminds me a lot of my Jato. And if it drives anything like my nitro Jato, I would get the Slash instead. I have driven a nitro Slash and it was a lot more fun to drive than my Jato. It jumps great, corners well under throttle, and can handle lots of different terrains.

The Jato (and I kinda assume the Rustler) is good at running long straight lines, on smooth surfaces, then jamming on the breaks and turning around (slowly) for another run. It just does not like to turn, especially with any kind of speed. It does not jump well either. And it absolutely hates being on anything resembling a track.

So like I said, if the Rustler is anything like the Jato... I would definitely get the Slash.
The JATO is a on road machine made for speed runs, the rustler is just a shortened nitro slash. They both should handle similar.

Go with the Rustler, I’ve built one with rpm suspension, wider arms and some grippy tires and used to send it off jumps onto hard pavement and it took it like a champ. Nice top speed too roughly ~45-50 mph.

Biggest problem is braking with a 2wd, and it won’t have much traction on wet grass. I wouldn’t buy one new though if I was going to upgrade considering used ones can be had for a third of msrp.

Go with the Rustler, I’ve built one with rpm suspension, wider arms and some grippy tires and used to send it off jumps onto hard pavement and it took it like a champ. Nice top speed too roughly ~45-50 mph.

Biggest problem is braking with a 2wd, and it won’t have much traction on wet grass. I wouldn’t buy one new though if I was going to upgrade considering used ones can be had for a third of msrp.
The only problem with buying used is you don't know how the engine was treated.

Just curious...

Why have you ruled out the Slash, in favor of a Rustler, since they are almost identical.
I have had both, and from my experience Slash is a superior car in every way, mainly because of its longer chassis and 3.3 engine.
Rustler just wheelies all the time, and not nearly as stable as Slash.

Just curious...

Why have you ruled out the Slash, in favor of a Rustler, since they are almost identical.
I have had both, and from my experience Slash is a superior car in every way, mainly because of its longer chassis and 3.3 engine.
Rustler just wheelies all the time, and not nearly as stable as Slash.
I had ruled out the slash due to many people having issues with parachuting effect. I am interested if there is a way to minimize this. Also, how long is the runtime on the rustler vs the slash.
I had ruled out the slash due to many people having issues with parachuting effect. I am interested if there is a way to minimize this. Also, how long is the runtime on the rustler vs the slash.
I also read the 3.3 is less reliable.

I had ruled out the slash due to many people having issues with parachuting effect. I am interested if there is a way to minimize this.
You can drill holes in the body to minimize the amount of air that get caught in the body

I also read the 3.3 is less reliable.

Never heard or had this issue, had to do a quick google to find out what it is.
I sold my Rustler a while ago, and kept the Slash, never looked back.
We do own a Jato as well, which is the main reason Rustler had to go.

Regarding the 3.3, again I have had and still have many Traxxas nitros, and never had an issue, they and have 3.3's.
If broken in properly, I think its a good engine, only let down by its poopy carburetor, there is nothing you can do about it, expect do a swap out for something better such as OS. Kyosho carbs I also found to be great.
The 2.5 comes with the same carb, so the common problem is still there.

Good luck!

Never heard or had this issue, had to do a quick google to find out what it is.
I sold my Rustler a while ago, and kept the Slash, never looked back.
We do own a Jato as well, which is the main reason Rustler had to go.

Regarding the 3.3, again I have had and still have many Traxxas nitros, and never had an issue, they and have 3.3's.
If broken in properly, I think its a good engine, only let down by its poopy carburetor, there is nothing you can do about it, expect do a swap out for something better such as OS. Kyosho carbs I also found to be great.
The 2.5 comes with the same carb, so the common problem is still there.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. If I get a Traxxas, it will be the slash. With fuel, the slash would cost $405, the kyosho inferno would cost $425 with everything to run it. Would you say getting the inferno neo would be worth the extra dollars

Thanks for the feedback. If I get a Traxxas, it will be the slash. With fuel, the slash would cost $405, the kyosho inferno would cost $425 with everything to run it. Would you say getting the inferno neo would be worth the extra dollars

The Slash I think is one of the best value for money nitros out there. Its a great car, the 3.3 carries that light chassis so well, and it does not wheelie all the time like the rustler, def one of my favorite nitro cars, I just need to replace that carb with something better.

I guess it all comes down to what type of car do you want, a short course truck that can handle offroad and onroad or a buggie like the NEO, which I believe is mainly for running on dirt.

I own a number of on road Kyoshos such as FW05 and FW06 (still in production today), and their engines are absolutely amazing in terms of being easy to tune and they just run and idle beautifully.