What are your other passions/hobbies/things you enjoy doing? (Not RC)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Nobody touches them but me. I have two black tail deer capes tanning in the shop now. Tried a few pheasant and quail. They're "alright". Just furry critters for now.

Yes. Nobody touches them but me. I have two black tail deer capes tanning in the shop now. Tried a few pheasant and quail. They're "alright". Just furry critters for now.
Do you do fish?
Thanks for sharing the pics, another great hobbie and helps keeping you healthy and active , my break barrels are ok but the pcps are a huge improvement, awesome tools and hobby.
Piston/spring air guns are definitely a skill. While no where as easy to shoot as pcp, there's just something about sitting there, relaxingly cocking the gun and single loading, that I find rather satisfying at times.

Dont do fish yet, though I do have the know how( and a pond with largemouth bass). It would definitely be a true fish skin mount. I really dont like the idea of plaster replica and painted fish. Not really your trophy. Rattlesnakes are cool to do

Attachments

• 0909121134a.jpg
    0909121134a.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 0615131213.jpg
    0615131213.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 0220131802a.jpg
    0220131802a.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 19
Just stumbled on this picture. I just love this bike. It’s a replica of a Harley Davison 250rr. It won the GP Championship in 1976

This is a link to the real bike.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0119-348654/1976-harley-davidson-250rr-road-racer/

I spent 8 years building and racing this. It is a 250cc four stroke Kawasaki motor. Everything else is hand made or parts from other bikes. It has set many land speed records and can go over 120 mph. It’s so much fun to ride.

The linked harley, I'm sure I've seen it upclose in the MMI show room some time ago.

I wonder what you could accomplish with a 450 or banshee motor? ☠

I went deep into that.
If you want a fast 450. Take a 600 cc sport bike and remove one piston and rod. Rebalance the whole package and it’s a 450 that can go 150mph

As for the Banshee.
first off it’s a two stroke. That’s a different category or class.
I was going to buy a Yamaha 250 TD which uses the Banshee case. Problem is they did not allow automobile engines in motorcycle and they don’t allow airplane engines in cars. It’s just the rule.

But they have enough aftermarket parts to work with that. Second problem is the banshee gearing at the flywheel. When you try to go fast. Actually land speed racing record fast the crank to flywheel gearing makes it so you can’t get a big enough front sprocket and small enough rear sprocket to get the gearing so the RPM is at the top of the power band. That matters.

Then it’s a two stroke. When you do land speed racing you are running an engine at full power for a long time. With the two stroke oil is suspended in the fuel. Oil causes detonation or preignition when it starts to get hot. And it does not make power only the fuel is burning. More fuel and air means more power. But the oil is displacing some fuel. As you lean out the mixture you get more power more heat and less lubrication all coming together in a viscous locked up piston at the finish line. Plus no turbo and no nitrous to compensate for high altitude like Bonneville.

You can supercharge a two stroke or even nitrous but they just don’t make the power a four stroke can. And air cooling is not even an option for land speed racing.

Last edited:
I went deep into that.
If you want a fast 450. Take a 600 cc sport bike and remove one piston and rod. Rebalance the whole package and it’s a 450 that can go 150mph

As for the Banshee.
first off it’s a two stroke. That’s a different category or class.
I was going to buy a Yamaha 250 TD which uses the Banshee case. Problem is they did not allow automobile engines in motorcycle and they don’t allow airplane engines in cars. It’s just the rule.

But they have enough aftermarket parts to work with that. Second problem is the banshee gearing at the flywheel. When you try to go fast. Actually land speed racing record fast the crank to flywheel gearing makes it so you can’t get a big enough front sprocket and small enough rear sprocket to get the gearing so the RPM is at the top of the power band. That matters.

Then it’s a two stroke. When you do land speed racing you are running an engine at full power for a long time. With the two stroke oil is suspended in the fuel. Oil causes detonation or preignition when it starts to get hot. And it does not make power only the fuel is burning. More fuel and air means more power. But the oil is displacing some fuel. As you lean out the mixture you get more power more heat and less lubrication all coming together in a viscous locked up piston at the finish line. Plus no turbo and no nitrous to compensate for high altitude like Bonneville.

You can supercharge a two stroke or even nitrous but they just don’t make the power a four stroke can. And air cooling is not even an option for land speed racing. One more hobby of mine is trading. A friend of mine showed me Margex which seemed extremely user-friendly so I spend about 1-2 hours daily buying and selling crypto :)
Not long ago started to dig into stock market peculiarities. I mean I wonder what is the mechanism of a profitable share purchase and so on. I must admit that for a person with a humanitarian mindset these are really difficult things to understand.

Last edited:
Took the daughter and grandson to a Euro pheasant/chukar hunt today. My grandson is 9. He has been soooo nervous about "kickback" from a shotgun. Myself and several other of my "gun guy" friends have worked and worked to get him to pull the trigger, and none of us could get there. Last year I took them to this shoot and he carried his Red Ryder and this year he tried and tried to get me to let him take that again - I wouldn't let him. At each station I made him load and unload through the rotation and watch the birds. He tried and tried to muster up the courage but just couldn't get there. After half time I had a long talk with him and about 1/4 way through the stations I finally got him to pull the trigger but it was very dramatic for him. At the next station the dog handler got him to take a break and work with his dog, which he really enjoyed. Two stations later I got him to shoot again and POW he rolled a pheasant! It was so exciting! By the end of the day, he was shooting and walking tall. What a good day for grandpa!!!

Motorcycling is my first wheeled hobby, but anything with wheels is fun. I really like the CanAm Ryker, interesting take on 3 wheeling. Current stable of 2 wheelers is a Triumph Tiger 900 GT and Suzuki DR 650.

Attachments

• 4-RIghtFront.JPG
    4-RIghtFront.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Krylon-2017-with-decal.JPG
    Krylon-2017-with-decal.JPG
    490.2 KB · Views: 17
I do 3D printing, but I don’t sell anything. I got an Ender 3 Pro with a direct drive mod and glass bed. It’s somewhat related to RC since I print out parts. I use PLA and TPU the most, I do want to print PETG, but I heard it’s not safe on glass beds. I will upload a photo of the printer once my print is done!

I do 3D printing, but I don’t sell anything. I got an Ender 3 Pro with a direct drive mod and glass bed. It’s somewhat related to RC since I print out parts. I use PLA and TPU the most, I do want to print PETG, but I heard it’s not safe on glass beds. I will upload a photo of the printer once my print is done!
PETG is safe on glass beds. I printed a lot of it on mine. Where did you hear that?

PETG is safe on glass beds. I printed a lot of it on mine. Where did you hear that?
I heard it on 3D printing forums. It might depend on the quality of the glass.

This is something me and a mate explored yesterday included a 20km hike u to it too, loads more left to check out in there! Just dropping these for anyone who's interested 👍

Attachments

• 20220103_110843.jpg
    20220103_110843.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220103_110916.jpg
    20220103_110916.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220103_111040.jpg
    20220103_111040.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20220103-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0004.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20220103-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0007.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20220103-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0010.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 22
The reson I got into rc
Looks like you could glue a lot of really big tire beads with that monster 😉

Is that a big hydro monitor or whatever they call those land stripping things they use in mining?

Last edited:
Back