Want to buy a rc electric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcguync99

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Want to get back in rc. I had a rc nitro monster trucks and car in the past but now I want to get in rc electric and I want to know what is a good brand to get into.

Do you prefer mt or what’s your favorite rig also what’s your driving style

I liked monster trucks and also I like small trucks too.. I've looked at Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL.

Want to get back in rc. I had a rc nitro monster trucks and car in the past but now I want to get in rc electric and I want to know what is a good brand to get into
The ones u have all work great and are amazingly fast and durable it even blows tires on my slash, I use castle mamba systems and sometimes Hobbywing

We have a 2wd brushed rustler as well as an Arrma big rock. The big rock would be more comparable to the rustler 4x4 vxl.
Arrma and Traxxas are both good quality brands with plenty of parts available should something break.
We generally run the big rock on a 2s battery and that thing rips.
That’s another consideration; batteries and a charger if you’re just getting into the electric side of things….

We have a 2wd brushed rustler as well as an Arrma big rock. The big rock would be more comparable to the rustler 4x4 vxl.
Arrma and Traxxas are both good quality brands with plenty of parts available should something break.
We generally run the big rock on a 2s battery and that thing rips.
That’s another consideration; batteries and a charger if you’re just getting into the electric side of things….
So the Traxxas is a good one to get? I'm doing my homework on this ti make sure that I make the right decision. I saw the Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL on yhe internet and I looked at it on YouTube and it looks like what I'm looking for. The other thing I want to know about is a charger and batterys also. I'm new on the electric side.

You can’t go wrong in my opinion, we’ve had really good luck with our Traxxas rigs. Replacement parts are inexpensive, readily and available. We’ve broken a few things, and I found it was pretty straightforward to fix.
Traxxas also makes batteries and chargers. That I think are intended to be user friendly. I’ve not used there lipos or chargers so take that for what it’s worth. You may want to look at alternatives for chargers so you have options when you eventually branch out to other cars with different battery connectors. Traxxas uses a proprietary connector

Last edited:
I would not recommend Traxxas because they have dated technology with known design flaws that they refuse to address in their RTR's. Instead they sell upgrades separately flooded with hidden expenses. They continue to develop proprietary designs and have been isolating themselves from the industry blocking anyone from making compatible battery connectors and recently they have been blocking aftermarket companies from marketing compatible parts. Traxxas is also known to revoke dealer contracts if they sell too much of a competing brand at their store which is their attempt to create a monopoly. More info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

Of the RTR bashers out there, I would recommend ARRMA which is far more durable and no drama:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/arrma/

I have no stake in the basher market as I am a club racer who is more focused on race grade brands, but I can assure you that when folks show up with basher grades to race at the local club in my area, it's very rare to see a Traxxas design make it through the race day without at least 1 or more breaks. In contrast, I seldom see ARRMA break anything.

If you really want the king of bashers, then look no further than the TEKNO MT410:

While I have owned TEKNO in the past, I have no personal gain promoting them. I am currently a sponsored team driver with Caster Racing, so if I were to buy a RTR for myself today, I would get an ETO821 which is huge step up from ARRMA and on par with most high end race grade kits on the market today:
https://www.casterracingrc.com/product-page/eto821-rtr-competition-e-buggy

Educate yourself on the whole Traxxas thing there is a thread titled bye bye Traxxas that digs into it.
You will certainly find people who have thoughts on the “Best” brand, and there experiences I think depend on care and use of said car; that’s not to say a dud doesn’t slip through every now and again.
I think between Arrma and Traxxas you have two good brands to choose between

Educate yourself on the whole Traxxas thing there is a thread titled bye bye Traxxas that digs into it.
You will certainly find people who have thoughts on the “Best” brand, and there experiences I think depend on care and use of said car; that’s not to say a dud doesn’t slip through every now and again.
I think between Arrma and Traxxas you have two good brands to choose between

Yup, here's the thread:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/bye-bye-traxxas.137950/

Arrma is not trash, weird comment, I have older and brand new Arrma and Traxxas, My older Arrma Fury has lasted 12 years with no issues, not driven the whole time, but used an ok amount and I have a newer Arrma Granite 4x4 3S that I drive hard, again zero issues and what a beast it is with 3S Power. Now I do not hate on Traxxas, but I will say, our older Slash has been repaired many times uses a lot like the Fury ? and our
20230415_114412.jpg
newer Bandit VXL, broke 1st time out and it was not cheap to repair, Minor hit broke all kinds of front end parts and two shocks, total repair $48.00 in parts. Arrma seems way way better to my son and I. Just saying, Flaps

You are going to get lots of different views here besides your like and dislikes are going to be different than other people.
All the major manufactures are going to have pros and cons associated with them so look for yourself and see.
Go on the manufactures sites and look for vehicles that look good then venture on Youtube and search for those cars to see their pros and cons and how they drive and handle in different arenas like dirt asphalt and places like grass skate parks and dedicated tracks.
Here are some of the major RC Manufactures I can think of. I am sure others will chime in here.
Traxxas
Arrma
Axial
Element
Tamiya
Team Associated
Vanquish
Losi
Kyosho
Tekno
FMS

I myself own and like Traxxas and Arrma but for different reasons.

Arrma is not trash, weird comment, I have older and brand new Arrma and Traxxas, My older Arrma Fury has lasted 12 years with no issues, not driven the whole time, but used an ok amount and I have a newer Arrma Granite 4x4 3S that I drive hard, again zero issues and what a beast it is with 3S Power. Now I do not hate on Traxxas, but I will say, our older Slash has been repaired many times uses a lot like the Fury ? and ourView attachment 164070 newer Bandit VXL, broke 1st time out and it was not cheap to repair, Minor hit broke all kinds of front end parts and two shocks, total repair $48.00 in parts. Arrma seems way way better to my son and I. Just saying, Flaps
I am not sure if I can say that arrma fury was the weakest rc I had but it's definitely fragile. But I can definitely say that it's the flimsiest by far. Terrible shock towers, leaky shocks, plastic drive train, ball ends popping out...

Arrma 2pc edition

Screenshot_20230422-134812~2.png

Having said that, Traxxas 2wd line has it's weaknesses too

I am not sure if I can say that arrma fury was the weakest rc I had but it's definitely fragile. But I can definitely say that it's the flimsiest by far. Terrible shock towers, leaky shocks, plastic drive train, ball ends popping out...

Arrma 2pc edition

View attachment 164080
Having said that, Traxxas 2wd line has it's weaknesses too
Non of those issues with my Fury and my Granite is crazy well made and fast.
20230415_114352.jpg

I don't know which version of the Typhon's that show up at the track in my area, but they take a reasonable beating, no they are not "bullet proof" and certainly not as durable as a race grade buggy, but I rarely see them break. The most popular Traxxas vehicle I see is the 4WD Slash and they typically break arms, hubs, center drive shaft bearings and bent shock shafts like this:

1682217238443.png

Back