Want to buy a rc electric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my arrma was trash! i had a typhon 3s and all i had was problems. stick with traxxas. my slash has been good for me (compared with a arrma)
Interesting. I am new to RC (purchased a Typhon 3s ~5 months ago), and now have 3 cars. I have a ramp, and jump it rather hard (by a newbie standard) and only issue so far is I had a shock end pull out of socket. Put in some superglue and it has been going strong since. But everyone has different experiences, likes and dislikes, etc. I did look at Traxxas when I first started, but that proprietary stuff (and continual lawsuits trying to put competitors out of business) turned me off. I think my next car may be a Team Associated MT10 (or 8).

yeah i am not a fan of traxxas lawsuit stuff. but sometimes you just gotta stick with what you got
I am sure I will own a Traxxas at some point, but just not currently my first choice. Is there a way to get around using their proprietary batteries and chargers?

I am sure I will own a Traxxas at some point, but just not currently my first choice. Is there a way to get around using their proprietary batteries and chargers?

you can make an adapter for the plug, or just solder a new plug of your choice in place of the Traxxis plug.

Just cut off the crappy TRX connectors! Then replace them with xt90s or xt60s (My personal preference). If you do that you can use any battery brand that you want.
you can make an adapter for the plug, or just solder a new plug of your choice in place of the Traxxis plug.
dang you beat me to it

Just cut off the crappy TRX connectors! Then replace them with xt90s or xt60s (My personal preference). If you do that you can use any battery brand that you want.

dang you beat me to it
Can you just buy this adapter like you can for XT60 to EC5, and many others? My soldering skills are lacking.

You are going to get lots of different views here besides your like and dislikes are going to be different than other people.
All the major manufactures are going to have pros and cons associated with them so look for yourself and see.
Go on the manufactures sites and look for vehicles that look good then venture on Youtube and search for those cars to see their pros and cons and how they drive and handle in different arenas like dirt asphalt and places like grass skate parks and dedicated tracks.
Here are some of the major RC Manufactures I can think of. I am sure others will chime in here.
Traxxas
Arrma
Axial
Element
Tamiya
Team Associated
Vanquish
Losi
Kyosho
Tekno
FMS

I myself own and like Traxxas and Arrma but for different reasons.
Yah what he said. It's like religion and there are plenty of brand zealots out there that will not justify their choice but simply trash talk what they don't like.

I do own Traxxas, Arrma, Axial, Tamiya and now Rlaarlo. Honestly, each of the brands have the strengths and weaknesses.

Just my opinion, if you want something to work out of the box get the Traxxas. Yes they have some bad press, yes they proprietary batteries connectors that can easily be changed. But there is a butt ton of aftermarket parts and they are nearly indestructible. I have a Traxxas Slash (90% Rustler) and it's good.

The closest thing that I can find to the Ruslter would be the Arrma Vortex. Also a good rig with respectable performance. It lacks aftermarket parts but you can swap a some parts from the other Arrma cars to make it more sturdy, faster, etc. but it takes some research and effort.

Both of them are 1/10 scale and have 2wd/4wd and brushed/brushless options. Some of this depends on what you want to do with it. On or off road, jumps or flat, racing or bashing, if you're off road what's the terrain, how fast do you want to go?

Forget the fan boys and zealots just get the one that makes you happy.

What about Team Corally? I have found some good deals on their cars in the US, but I am concerned that if I have breakage (and I will as I jump these), I will have trouble finding replacement part. Is that a valid concern, or are parts easier to find than I am thinking? I have had great luck with my Vortek, Typhon 3S, and Kryton 6S (this one is new, so only been through 3 jumping sessions) surviving my poor skills, but even if I have an issue it is very easy to find OEM and aftermarket parts where I am. Should I shy way from companies like Corally, or am I overthinking this?

Edit: Also same question about Redcat, Maverick, and HPI.

What about Team Corally? I have found some good deals on their cars in the US, but I am concerned that if I have breakage (and I will as I jump these), I will have trouble finding replacement part. Is that a valid concern, or are parts easier to find than I am thinking? I have had great luck with my Vortek, Typhon 3S, and Kryton 6S (this one is new, so only been through 3 jumping sessions) surviving my poor skills, but even if I have an issue it is very easy to find OEM and aftermarket parts where I am. Should I shy way from companies like Corally, or am I overthinking this?

Edit: Also same question about Redcat, Maverick, and HPI.
Corally doesn't really have a good reputation because they lie about their cars' durability. I would steer clear of Corally for now. If you want to see their cars' durability, look up Kevin Talbot on YT and find his Corally video. That will give you an idea of how strong their cars really are.

Corally doesn't really have a good reputation because they lie about their cars' durability. I would steer clear of Corally for now. If you want to see their cars' durability, look up Kevin Talbot on YT and find his Corally video. That will give you an idea of how strong their cars really are.
Thanks for the reply. I love his videos, but doubt I will be jumping in a skate park and sending too the moon :). I have seen his video on Corally, but he also seems to have some bias to certain brands, so didn't want to totally go off of his experiences. But if the consensus is reliability issues then I really should stay away since I am not sure about parts support.

What about Redcat? I have seen videos where they are super tough and others where they break after hitting a blade of grass.

Thanks for the reply. I love his videos, but doubt I will be jumping in a skate park and sending too the moon :). I have seen his video on Corally, but he also seems to have some bias to certain brands, so didn't want to totally go off of his experiences. But if the consensus is reliability issues then I really should stay away since I am not sure about parts support.

What about Redcat? I have seen videos where they are super tough and others where they break after hitting a blade of grass.

It's possible but I don't see the brand bias? He buys (or did buy) all the car himself and I think he has just about every brand, even the knock offs. He definetly likes Traxxas and Arrma but they are the leaders and will always get more time. But if they break he also tells you about it and how to fix it. Granted he is an extreme basher only out done by Max (can't stand him) who just breaks thing to break them. He's like the rich kid down the street that would talk you into breaking your stuff, but you never have the money to replace it. :vomit:

Another option, tested by KT. Team Associated Rival MT10. It seems to be more than durable and a very good price.

I have a buddy with a Redcat Gen8 Axe (Crawler). It looks good and performs well as a trail truck, but the over all quality seems to be questionable. That combined with lack of aftermarket upgrades I personally avoid Redcat.

Back