Upgraded my ESC and motor, now RC is jerky

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis.rs16

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have recently upgraded my RC car with a new Motor and ESC however on the first run I’ve encountered a problem and I was wondering maybe if you guys might know what’s wrong with it?

Basically my RC car becomes jerky at times even when it’s not a full throttle, sometimes doesn’t respond to inputs and also at one point was stuck with the wheel turning right. When it’s close to the transmitter it all seems well but one or two metres away these problems like jerkiness and not responding to inputs happen.

I have no idea what the problem is, maybe the receiver or something like that needs upgrading as well, I hope you can solve my problem.

Many thanks, Lewis

Hey Guys, I have recently upgraded my RC car with a new Motor and ESC however on the first run I’ve encountered a problem and I was wondering maybe if you guys might know what’s wrong with it?

Basically my RC car becomes jerky at times even when it’s not a full throttle, sometimes doesn’t respond to inputs and also at one point was stuck with the wheel turning right. When it’s close to the transmitter it all seems well but one or two metres away these problems like jerkiness and not responding to inputs happen.

I have no idea what the problem is, maybe the receiver or something like that needs upgrading as well, I hope you can solve my problem.

Many thanks, Lewis
What kind of car? Is the receiver in a box or exposed? What motor and ESC? Did the receiver get wet? Does it do the jerky thing at low, medium or full throttle? Did you set up the ESC, or just install it? If the receiver is in a box, the antenna may have gotten damaged when you closed up the box. The receiver and radio could have a connection error. The jerky thing you describe almost sounds like cogging, which is actually common with some ESC's, especially the cheaper ones.

What kind of car? Is the receiver in a box or exposed? What motor and ESC? Did the receiver get wet? Does it do the jerky thing at low, medium or full throttle? Did you set up the ESC, or just install it? If the receiver is in a box, the antenna may have gotten damaged when you closed up the box. The receiver and radio could have a connection error. The jerky thing you describe almost sounds like cogging, which is actually common with some ESC's, especially the cheaper ones.
Hi, so basically the car is a Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 Prototype 1/10 model, upgraded the stock parts with a new motor and esc which were an Absima Thrust B-Spec Electric 12t Motor and a Modelsport UK Sniper RV-12 ESC. The reciever has never got wet, the esc has been set up and the jerky thing usually happens between medium and full throttle never.

Thanks, Lewis

Amp surge. Try some motor capacitors. Or program the esc to soft start. Try putting on a reciever pack with switch.

Last edited:
Did you calibrate the ESC after installing it? If not, that's likely the cause. Make sure your throttle trim is set to neutral for calibration also.
Hi, By calibrating you mean set up right? If so i did set up my ESC to my transmitter.

after reading this Id point you to the receiver antenna .. are you sure its still solid under the insulation?.. and its called calibration not set up..Do you have a VOM meter? if yes make sure your vom meter is set on resistance and measure the antenna resistance move antenna while your doing this if # moves in any direction then wire strand inside are broken replace rx or you can put on a new antenna .. has to be the same length.
Make sure nothing is hooked up to rx as in power (not needed for this.)

Well whats up?
Haven't checked yet mate but i think it might be that the reciever and transmitter might be too old to work under a new esc and motor. As the reciever is still the stock one from the Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 Prototype 1/10 model, so theres probably loads of interference. So its very old! So yh probably will need to buy a new one.

Haven't checked yet mate but i think it might be that the reciever and transmitter might be too old to work under a new esc and motor. As the reciever is still the stock one from the Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 Prototype 1/10 model, so theres probably loads of interference. So its very old! So yh probably will need to buy a new one.
It has to do with the amp draw and bec.

What do you mean?
When you apply throttle all the amps go to the motor and the throttle and steering don't have enough power to work. The BEc acts crazy. It can't supply the power required to run. Why I suggested putting on a external receiver battery and switch to see if somewhat eliminates the problem. The problem is the motor amp draw.

When you apply throttle all the amps go to the motor and the throttle and steering don't have enough power to work. The BEc acts crazy. It can't supply the power required to run. Why I suggested putting on a external receiver battery and switch to see if somewhat eliminates the problem. The problem is the motor amp draw.
So how comes this isn't a common problem, because what i think is there is loads of interference as the reciever and transmitter are old and are on some old radio wave that isnt 2.4Ghz. What i think i might do is buy a new transmitter and reciever...

It was a common problem. Does the old receiver have BEC? The new ESC has BEC and that can to cause problems. Double BEC can cause this problems your having. This is why I suggested a external receiver battery and swatch. It will cancel out the BEC problem. A new radio will solve the problem but the old radio will work.

Some old AM radios used BEc recievers or had a special switch
FM radios don't have BEC receivers and use a ESC with BEC built in
2.4 same as FM

Last edited:
So how comes this isn't a common problem, because what i think is there is loads of interference as the reciever and transmitter are old and are on some old radio wave that isnt 2.4Ghz. What i think i might do is buy a new transmitter and reciever...
For a new radio, i would recommend DumboRC. You can get them with or without a built in gyro for right around $40-$45 and they seem to work really well. This one doesn't have the gyro: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-Transmitter-Receiver-Controller-400m-500m/dp/B07RR81GSB If you want the gyro, look for one with the X6FG receiver: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-T...hild=1&keywords=dumborc&qid=1612023880&sr=8-1

For a new radio, i would recommend DumboRC. You can get them with or without a built in gyro for right around $40-$45 and they seem to work really well. This one doesn't have the gyro: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-Transmitter-Receiver-Controller-400m-500m/dp/B07RR81GSB If you want the gyro, look for one with the X6FG receiver: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-T...hild=1&keywords=dumborc&qid=1612023880&sr=8-1
Thanks very much mate, i think this will solve the problem i've been having. I really mean it thanks.

Thanks very much mate, i think this will solve the problem i've been having. I really mean it thanks.
Buying a new radio doesn't solve your problem. I explain it to you.

What you said though is "A new radio will solve the problem but the old radio will work."
I never said that. A new radio will avoid the problem. The old radio will work but you don't want to figure it out.