Trying To Break Into The Hobby, But Overwhelmed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFox650

RC Newbie
Reaction score
We've decided to get back into RC after you know .... Being adults... Lol
So my dad is super hyped about a Redcat Gen7/8, but the TRX4 is another super popular option.

My cousin is between trucks, but he recommended having 2 trucks, a Slash 4x4, and he built a mudder and a track rig.

While I prefer a kit, the cost savings is basically pointless, but I want something buildable, for me, building real vehicles be it my Jeep I've rebuilt 4x in the 20 years I've owned it to the Cobra running 10s to various motorcycles and even jet skis, so it doesn't have to be perfect from the go, but at these prices, I want the best start.

I love the crawling ability of the TRXs, that selectable drive and diffs. But that 10mph top speed isn't enough for track racing for me and speed upgrades would ruin crawling it seems. Next is the Slash. It's more fitting for my more Stadium Truck/Supercross style track desires, but I don't believe it's gonna do great as a crawler/Trials truck. My next thought, was a Maxx that I just discovered today. It doesn't seem to perform well at all with the more technical trails. Stock tires look too slick and mild tread. I was thinking if I could change the ratios so I lost top speed or reduced torque so I don't break the tires free as easily, it might be my best choice? I also thought, though I haven't found one yet, adding a lift kit for crawling. I have the ability to machine my own solid materials, so building my own long-arm kit wouldn't be impossible.

While I like building, I deplore fixing. I'll have spare parts for common issues, but I don't want to be shredding axles or breaking structural components regularly.

Thanks if you read this far. I don't mind tuning or swapping out parts for situation. I just want the best bang for my buck out of the box. ~30mph for racing, reasonable crawling ability, in one unit, or one truck and 2 setups/part kits to race my cousin's stadium truck or switch to crawl with my dad.

I know how fandoms are and how bitter people get when they ignore your opinions demanding you respect theirs in the most condensing way, but nothing in my life is so bad that I need to abuse or argue to feel validated, so if you've come just to be an ass or tell me this is stupid, I'm sorry this is what you need, but I'm not fresh out of internet points, so you might as well move along.

Welcome to the forum and hobby! I do recommend having two RCs for different purposes. You could possible get by with a rock bouncer, but it won’t be the best at handling due to torque twist.

Welcome to RCT. We'll you have a problem bud you won't get all of it in one rc. 30mph+ for racing a sct you might as well be looking at a sct to race. And the Crawlers will never hit that.. and can't be mod or upgraded to race that's why they are called crawlers. And has nothing to do with Fandom. As to do with reality. And with your freash off the internet, think you know everything attitude won't fly here.. sorry but you won't get any help with question and comments like that. You also will never get a rc that can go from a track to crawling.. sorry just get two RC's more the merry anyway. Good luck...👍👍
Welcome to the forum and hobby! I do recommend having two RCs for different purposes. You could possible get by with a rock bouncer, but it won’t be the best at handling due to torque twist.
What he is asking for it won't happen. As he is looking/ talking about two different RC's. Thats why he can't find the ONE. Because it doesn't exist. And the maxx is a stunt truck MT. Not a crawler or a race truck. He will never find what his looking for. He needs to just get two trucks one for racing and tmone for crawling.. its the only way!!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to RCTalk! You'll definitely need different rigs for different situations. I'd suggest looking on YouTube for some help and ideas. The Arrma 3s Senton is another great SCT and comes ready to run besides a lipo and charger, plus it does 50+mph box stock and has a 2yr warranty over Traxxas which i think is what 30 or 60 day I think. Again welcome!

I recommend getting an SCT to start, since it seems to be what you are more interested in, and pick up a crawler kit later on. It is inevitable that you will end up with multiple vehicles sooner than you think.

Don't compromise and try to find a do it all rig, because you will just be selling yourself short. I think you will be happier if you Decide what style driving you want to start with and which rig suits your needs, than if you have 1 rig that is just ok at different things.

Welcome to RCTalk! You'll definitely need different rigs for different situations. I'd suggest looking on YouTube for some help and ideas. The Arrma 3s Senton is another great SCT and comes ready to run besides a lipo and charger, plus it does 50+mph box stock and has a 2yr warranty over Traxxas which i think is what 30 or 60 day I think. Again welcome!
Lol you really don't like traxxas.. I love it. Lol 👍👍

I've never had any problems with any of my traxxas RC's.. @@sje
Don't have any issue to be honest and never ran one personally just want to give other options. Especially the Horizon/Arrma warranty is huge being 2 yrs over 30 or 60 days. But yes I'm very brand loyal to Arrma as I have 7 so far lol.
Thats cool..to hell with horizon hobby though . I've never had any issues with any of my traxxas RC's and that's since the mid 90's to each there own. And the warranty is only 30day on the electronics witch all suck anyway. They don't last long in my trucks they usually get pullout. Rite from the get go.Though I'm still running the stock electronics in my X. With no problems...

Like others suggested, I would get two rigs. Honestly my two favorite trucks right now are my brushless senton 3s which is ridiculously fast and fun. Then my 2021 bronco trx4 shift on the fly and lockers are bad ass. If I had to pick one or the other, probably the senton. More bang for your buck in my opinion.

And welcome to the forum!

We've decided to get back into RC after you know .... Being adults... Lol
So my dad is super hyped about a Redcat Gen7/8, but the TRX4 is another super popular option.

My cousin is between trucks, but he recommended having 2 trucks, a Slash 4x4, and he built a mudder and a track rig.

While I prefer a kit, the cost savings is basically pointless, but I want something buildable, for me, building real vehicles be it my Jeep I've rebuilt 4x in the 20 years I've owned it to the Cobra running 10s to various motorcycles and even jet skis, so it doesn't have to be perfect from the go, but at these prices, I want the best start.

I love the crawling ability of the TRXs, that selectable drive and diffs. But that 10mph top speed isn't enough for track racing for me and speed upgrades would ruin crawling it seems. Next is the Slash. It's more fitting for my more Stadium Truck/Supercross style track desires, but I don't believe it's gonna do great as a crawler/Trials truck. My next thought, was a Maxx that I just discovered today. It doesn't seem to perform well at all with the more technical trails. Stock tires look too slick and mild tread. I was thinking if I could change the ratios so I lost top speed or reduced torque so I don't break the tires free as easily, it might be my best choice? I also thought, though I haven't found one yet, adding a lift kit for crawling. I have the ability to machine my own solid materials, so building my own long-arm kit wouldn't be impossible.

While I like building, I deplore fixing. I'll have spare parts for common issues, but I don't want to be shredding axles or breaking structural components regularly.

Thanks if you read this far. I don't mind tuning or swapping out parts for situation. I just want the best bang for my buck out of the box. ~30mph for racing, reasonable crawling ability, in one unit, or one truck and 2 setups/part kits to race my cousin's stadium truck or switch to crawl with my dad.

I know how fandoms are and how bitter people get when they ignore your opinions demanding you respect theirs in the most condensing way, but nothing in my life is so bad that I need to abuse or argue to feel validated, so if you've come just to be an ass or tell me this is stupid, I'm sorry this is what you need, but I'm not fresh out of internet points, so you might as well move along.
Welcome to RCTalk and thanks for joining! You can't get a crawler to race and you can't get a racer to crawl. Youll need to pick one or the other or buy a rig for each. If your going to race competitively the I would not look at buying a slash. I would look at buying a Losi Ten-SCTE, Associated RC10 SC6.2, or a Tekno SCT410.3. If all you want to do is run around the track and have fun or race in a slash only class then The Slash is fine for that. The TRX-4 is a solid choice for crawling if you decide to go that route.3

Whats the deal with the whole fandom thing though? Sounds like you were abused in another forum before coming here. 🤔

If you're new to the RC hobby, we have several very active threads here on RCTalk that could be especially of some help for you to making your start into the hobby much more enjoyable and easier!

Even if you're not new, we would still love to hear your feedback on the tools and electronics you are using in the above threads!

Quick Forum Tips

If you do the social media thing, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Premium Membership

Military roll call: Active Duty | Veterans
Have RC News?
Email us here.
Become a Forum Sponsor | Support RCTalk

First off, welcome to the forum. You typically will see a bit of fanboyish like replies, because you are asking people's opinion on what they like, based on your criteria. So just take the comments with a grain of salt and digest what you can from them.

It seems you have two things going on. Is your dad wanting an RC? Or are you wanting and RC? Or both?

As for an all around rig, there is the Traxxas Summit, which is about the only rig that I can think of that lays claim to being a crawler and a basher. They are huge when compared to other 1/10 scale rigs. I have watched some vids, and from what I have seen, they fit the criteria you are looking for.

As for the Redcat Gen7/8 and TRX line, both are very popular crawlers. A few people here have them and have shared lots of cool pics and posts out on the trails with them. Your dad will likely love either one, but I think an SCT or even the Summit mentioned above seems to fit what you are looking for.

The Summit could work if all you want is something that can crawl ok and also go somewhat fast. If you're looking to race on a track though the Summit wont be good for that. If you're not actually looking to race then Wicked is right its the only rig that sorta does both. Its like a jack of both trades and master of neither imo.

The Axial line of trail rigs might be a place to look around as well.

Welcome in @RocketFox650 , isn't it funny how as a kid we try our darndest to grow up and when we reach adulthood, we then try our darndest to be a kid again. I blame that on RC and I seriously want to shake the guy's hand that invented RC. ;)
I took a different turn a long time ago however, I refuse to grow up.

I suspect you could come close to both goals with a wraith- if you can find one. I'd just build a crawler and a basher instead. Crawlers hardly ever break. Basher hardly ever don't break. "One rig to rule them all" would always be broken.
Crawlers-
The gen8 is awesome for the money. Trx4 is just plain awesome. They're super easy to mod, and can run sick lines w/o spending much extra $$. The vanquish phoenix seems to be the next big thing (if you can find one).
Bashers-
I don't like proprietary bs, so I don't run trashass bashers. For the money, the arrma senton is hard to beat. But tekno rules. Tekno is the buy once cry once solution to a basher. You can race it, you can air it out. And they survive better than any other brand I've run.
And get an scx24, too.

Welcome to RCTalk and thanks for joining! You can't get a crawler to race and you can't get a racer to crawl. Youll need to pick one or the other or buy a rig for each. If your going to race competitively the I would not look at buying a slash. I would look at buying a Losi Ten-SCTE, Associated RC10 SC6.2, or a Tekno SCT410.3. If all you want to do is run around the track and have fun or race in a slash only class then The Slash is fine for that. The TRX-4 is a solid choice for crawling if you decide to go that route.3
Perfect advice. I like my Slash trucks for fun, but for racing forget it unless (like he said) it’s a spec Slash event. For bashing, Arrma gets my vote, they’re tough as hell, especially the EXB rollers. For racing, I’m partial to Associated or Losi but if you don’t like to wrench go Tekno. And buy some kind of crawler, whatever bloats your goat. And, also as mentioned above, your initial choices might not even matter much because everyones stable tends to grow a lot quicker than you think if you enjoy the hobby even half as much as the rest of us junkies. Welcome to the madness, and have fun!

This is a lot of advice for a member that hasn't even bothered to come back and read all the replies to his thread.

Back