What battery charger do you recommend?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewy84

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking for a charger that doesn't need a power supply but can charge the battery that comes with the merv or a 2s or 3s lipo..... Thanks

Bought the tenergy tb6b what's a good setting for charging and discharging the traxxas series 1 7.2v 1200mah nimh batteries and should I discharge and then charge them

Charge at no more than 1c. 1200mah=1.2 amps. 3500mah=3.5 amps. And so on. I charge a little lower than 1c to keep temps down and get a little more life outta the batteries. I charge the 2/3aa cells such as your merv pack at .8 amps.

I have a Traxxas EZ-Plus Peak charger & I love my charger & the Charger also has the option to use Car battery as well..

Well, I recently upgraded my battery charger setup.

Charger: iSDT Q6 Plus
Power supply: HP 24v 1000watt

charger-and-psu.jpg

psu.jpg

Plans are to add additional iSDT Q6 Plus chargers to easily charge multiple batteries at the same time.

WoodiE how do you like the isdt charger.? for me i really dint like it.. id like to plug my charger in plug battery select ir and see it

WoodiE how do you like the isdt charger.? for me i really dint like it.. id like to plug my charger in plug battery select ir and see it
I have one, don't care for the all-in-one wheel/button thing. I have a tendency to roll or click when I don't want to. Also low on the discharge capability. I keep it in my pit bag to use in my car if I want to charge 3 packs, or 4 (got a parallel board for it). Kind of got it just to charge my transmitter and receiver packs, then got the parallel board for it just in case. Don't know why... I haven't charged anything on my car charger in over a years. lol! Guess I was more aggressive about RC last year. Now instead of driving 100 miles on a bash day to 3-4 locations, I go to a couple local ones or the bmx grass track and charge enough packs to not need it.

Hota's D6 & H6 Pro chargers
It seems like every couple of years I upgrade my chargers for whatever reasons. Most of the time it's because of wanting more power or a feature on the new generation of chargers out there. I didn't want to go all out, and spend the money on the iCharger that I have been eyeballing for years.

My past chargers were somewhat slow when it came to that constant voltage part of a balance charge when cells are aging at different rates. It would take, what seemed like, forever to balance charge some LiPo packs. That's when I started researching what makes the higher end chargers so much better. The main reason I chose the Hota D6 was the balance current spec on the charger (1600mA x2) is as much as 5x greater than what I have been using.

I started using the Hota D6 at the beginning of the year.

1596496237009.png

I opted for the DC only version, 'cause I already had a 12V server power supply converted when one of my other charger's internal power supply decided to crap out on me. The only gripe I have about the D6 is the internal resistance readings are only available while charging.

I liked Hota's D6 so much, I sold my old faithful Hitec charger and purchased the Hota H6 Pro. They can be found for $79.99 at times on Banggood.

1596497293063.png

The H6 Pro has a bit more power than the D6. It will be used solely for my 4S charging needs, and the D6 dual port will be taking care of my 2S family of LiPo packs. The only complaint I have for the H6 Pro is there is no "kickstand" to adjust the screen angle. This would be a great job for a 3D printer owner to take on. I went with a tiny phone stand I found on Amazon...
1596498923526.png

I cut 21.3mm off the arm to get the correct angle for the H6 Pro to match that of the D6 charger screen.

20200723_172547.jpg

20200803_151410.jpg

Would be nice if the HOTA's internal discharge capability was a bit better. Kind of why I didn't go with the iSDT chargers when I got the revolectrix gt500's. They still aren't that great, but seems to get the job done.

I've always used a light bulb discharger with a fan and a battery buzzer

I've always used a light bulb discharger with a fan and a battery buzzer
I should read up on that... not sure how many amps/watts brake bulbs pull, but at least it would be kind of quiet. Then again, after buying 40-50 bulbs... 4-5 fans, wiring them up and storing the apparatus chewing up space... that can't be cheap to discharge 4-5 packs at a time.

Will read up on it just the same. Thanks!

I've been very pleased with it. I like this setup a lot better than my old Hyperion charger and I used to love it.

olds if you use a 1157 bulb and hook up both elements in bulb it will pull 5 amps..if you have access to 1 a watt meter is a good way to see how much amps your pulling...

olds if you use a 1157 bulb and hook up both elements in bulb it will pull 5 amps..if you have access to 1 a watt meter is a good way to see how much amps your pulling...
Explains why having 4 of them wired up in parallel that it nearly melted the wire I was using... and I nearly went blind.

I ordered a thing from China that should be showing up that uses 50W halogens and connects them to a box/meter to use as a discharger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Bat...cator-Battery-Discharger-5W-150W/173981196308

Ordered a 5 pack of those bulbs as well. Will see how it does discharging a pack or two and maybe rig it up in a box with a fan since it appears to have a 5-6v output going to the meter.

Back