Trophy Truck One Off Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmahh

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
well theres the Slash, Nice but.. then there is the Thunder Tech, again nice but not worth 800 imo. there are the nitros, slayer, and AE, ok but nitro. they can be electrified. ok still $$$$$

so I've been looking at what options are around. I see the TT conversions the one guy did on RCCrawler. not bad. works well, looks rough imo (but it works so rough looking dont really mean squat,) but... i like a clean looking unit if possible.

So i checked around and picked up an older Team Losi XXX. been looking around at what its going to take to use. basicaly the same chassis the guy on rccrawler used, but i wont be cutting it up hardly at all. i also wont be adding the rear end like he has done. be going for a smoother, cleaner look.

instead, i will be using the stock rear shock tower, cut in half, and modified a bit. that will mount to the rear of the chassis area (where it mounts in stock setup) for my rear upper shock mounts. i ll likely use the xxx tranny in an effort to keep cost low. I was debating on using an Axial axle, but instead, i ll use a WK axle. will be connected in true trouphy truck fasion via trailing arms (Axial HD Links mounted in reverse). i am not fully sure on shocks yet, but i am strongly considering a very scale setup using one pair of rc4wd remote resi shocks (no springs) and a pair of the rc4wd dual rate springs on the rear and front. likely will use some Tamiya shackle mounts and rc4wd metal heims for scale appearance, hookup, and function. i have a few things here now, xxx setup, tranny, few other parts. have more on the way.

for now i thought id toss up the concept i made in MS Paint last night.
xxxtmodsdrawing-v2.jpg

xxxtmodsdrawing-v21.jpg

Ill have to fab up some type of mount for the cut shock tower to mount it to the chassis. plus I'm sure some other items will need to be fabbed along the way. I thought about a Pan Hard Bar, but have decided to go with a 4 link setup to start with, which should work pretty good for my use.

to start out i ll be using a waterproof xl5 and 12t motor. and likely a 2075 wp servo from traxxassssss. if i need to upgrade I'm thinking of a CC mamba 5700, on 3S lipo, with an ace 1015 for steerings.

tires will be a BL 2.2 with appropriate off set.

wheelbase will be same as a slash, 13.2 inches. front track width will be about the same at 11 1/4 and rear I'm pushing for a 10.5 to 10 3/4 in. for the rear.
it will get some type of rear cage or extension rails for body support and spare tire mounts.
well thats the jist of it. will post more later.

few inspiration pics

this one was pretty nice looking setup
0511or_trphy_36_z.jpg

but this build is where I'm drawing most the inspiration from
DSC06041.jpg

DSC06049.jpg

DSC06040.jpg

DSC06081.jpg

DSC06080.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, drawings are cool but not as cool as pics lol...should be bad ass timmahh.

i want one of those so bad!!!

bit of work i did today. cut the shock tower, got it mounted and supported. got a wk axle coming, will need to order the Axial HD links i ll be using for trailing arms and get them on the way.

DSCN5123.jpg

DSCN5122.jpg

DSCN5121.jpg

interesing...how did you mount the tranny? did u drill the chassis.

currently the tranny is just setting there, not mounted. i have to get the axles and links here and setup before i know where i can put the tranny. need to be sure i have the proper amount of room for the driveshafts so they dont bind/ or end up being too long or too short. should have the axles in a few days. will go to the LHS and see if i can pick up links for a fair price. i do have regular bent axial links i can use to mock up with, but i need the HD ones to figure out shock mount locations as well.

Looks good!! So the tranny is off an axail correct? and the rear thing is to mount the shocks (I know not very specific but not sure what to call it haha)

no this is the original xxx tranny. yes, the rear parts sticking up will be the rear upper shock mounts. the lower shock mounts will mount right on the swing arms.

sweet what are you making the swing arm out of? sorry if you already posted that...

trailing arms will be made from Axial HD High Clearance links with RC4WD Heim joints for a stout and good looking setup. i ll be mounting them to the chassis using a triangular mount that looks similar to the Tamiya link/shock mount pieces.

been at a stand still on this, but should have parts arriving this week to continue. Bent links, wheels, steering servo. Still on th list to get is a XL5 ESC (blue wp) and 12t motor out of a slash for the mock up rig and then shocks, and front carriers.

sweetdeisle has the esc and motor for sale in his thread!! just fyi

thanx, PMd SD.

got the axles today. so doing some mock up on them.
DSCN5126.jpg

trimmed and fit drive shaft (stock stampede modded to fit xxx tranny and wk 6mm output shaft). had to lower the rear shock mounts as they were too tall, the new lower location should make a big differance in shock lengths needed.

the wheels, steering servo, and Axial HD High Clearnance links should be here end of the week hopefully. i need the links to determine actual mounting point on the chassis. but all in all it should be a roller by the weekend.

still need a body and the poop to mount it with, as well as an esc/motor setup. but i think i should be able to get it mostly roller ready by the end of the weekend coming. i still need to figure out what I'm going to do for front spindles. i ll likey just buy a set of slash front hubs and mod them to work.

DSCN5128.jpg

DSCN5127.jpg

DSCN5125.jpg

DSCN5124.jpg

quick comparing pic of project and mspaint drawing above.
DSCN5129.jpg

xxxtmodsdrawing-v21-1.jpg

Last edited:
thanx guys, done a bit more work tonight and a lil shits n grins mock up.

well i swapped a few things around. got the 4 links mounted to lock the rear axle in place. for the time being, i used a set of front Jammin X1-CR FTE shocks on the rear, and a set of Axial AX-10 shocks for the front. got the temp trailing arms mounted. when the axial hds arrive, i ll do a more solid mount with no swival balls, only bushings so all trailing arm movement is only up n down. but there isnt any side to side anyways. but.....

so for shits n grins, i slid a set of 2.2 axial rims and hammers i had here to see how it looks so far.

all in all not too bad. i think I'm on the right track here.
DSCN5133.jpg

DSCN5132.jpg

DSCN5130.jpg

DSCN5131.jpg

look at the rear for four link setup, tranny mount (will get additional mount on left), drive shaft length and angle, and current shock mount location.
DSCN5134.jpg

more when more poop arrives.

DSCN5139.jpg

and that is where its at now. its in roller conditon, albeit, shakily as the front spindles for the xxx dont work with Hexs, so i still need to mod the front to use slash carriers/spindles. i may aslo just use slash lower front arms too. its a bit wide using the xxx front arms.

front shocks full squat,rear about 1/3 squat
DSCN5137.jpg

rear shocks at about 5/8s squat (its starts a rollover at this point to full squat)
DSCN5138.jpg

Full Squat
DSCN5136.jpg

Back