Tower hobbies .40 nitro aircraft engine. Is it gummed up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree.. but he still needs a air filter on the engine it self...I just thought that it was off for picture..
I have 2 nitro aircraft and neither engine uses an air filter... Should I get one for both? In the manual It says they are only needed for dusty environments (Only on the O.S. 46 AXII). If it would prolong both engines lives I wouldn't mind getting filters.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/46axii-abl-.46-airplane-glow-engine-with-muffler/OSMG0548.html

I have 2 nitro aircraft and neither engine uses an air filter... Should I get one for both? In the manual It says they are only needed for dusty environments (Only on the O.S. 46 AXII). If it would prolong both engines lives I wouldn't mind getting filters.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/46axii-abl-.46-airplane-glow-engine-with-muffler/OSMG0548.html
Do you take off or land in Dirty dusty feilds... if not... then like the guys said above.. To find out if you have a seal leaking or it's extra fuel being sprayed from carb.. you will need to break it down and check your bearings that are in the engine now... if they are good 👍 then the oil/fuel you see could just be unspent fuel coming out of carb...at which point finding a small screen with insert or aircraft filter will stop the fuel from being sprayed out of the carb everywhere
So break it down.. and look at the crankshaft bearing front and rear and the o ring on back plate.. and check # 6. 8. 9. 10. 11 bearing. 13 bearing.o-ring ring #6 is your carb o-ring and it #9 on the carb break down..... I would start there if every thing checks out ok then look into a screen to stop back spry out of carb
Screenshot_20210827-153853_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Do you take off or land in Dirty dusty feilds... if not... then like the guys said above.. To find out if you have a seal leaking or it's extra fuel being sprayed from carb.. you will need to break it down and check your bearings that are in the engine now... if they are good 👍 then the oil/fuel you see could just be unspent fuel coming out of carb...at which point finding a small screen with insert or aircraft filter will stop the fuel from being sprayed out of the carb everywhere
So break it down.. and look at the crankshaft bearing front and rear and the o ring on back plate.. and check # 6. 8. 9. 10. 11 bearing. 13 bearing.o-ring ring #6 is your carb o-ring and it #9 on the carb break down..... I would start there if every thing checks out ok then look into a screen to stop back spry out of carbView attachment 131698
Ok will do btw the engine that has problems right now is not the one in that manual... It's a tower hobbies .40 engine. Will it be a similar setup though?

Ok will do btw the engine that has problems right now is not the one in that manual... It's a tower hobbies .40 engine. Will it be a similar setup though?
Should be... you could also get some nylon and zip tie it to the carb.. and stop the fuel from spraying everywhere and see is that helps it.

Whats up bud. Nice you found the break down of the engine..👍👍 where you able to free it up.. does it run? Or is it still not turning over?

I just got a really old nitro engine. Thays was all gummed up and wouldn't turn over .. In the middle of a break down and restoration of the whole RC... I love wrenching on these RCs..👍👍👍

@StonerRC365
Well I decided to try and fire it up before I tore it down to have it run one last time before I spread it's internals all over the garage. I ended up spraying fuel in my eye and I'm so far ok. Found that I had really flooded the crap out of that poor engine... After I had spent 15min under the faucet I found that the driver was dead. Anyways I opened the rear of it up and in front of the crankshaft there seems to be no bearing? I watched some teardown videos and most you could see the ball bearing infront of the crankshaft. Also I need new gaskets and it seems like the engine is discontinued?

Last edited:
Well I decided to try and fire it up before I tore it down to have it run one last time before I spread it's internals all over the garage. I ended up spraying fuel in my eye and I'm so far ok. Found that I had really flooded the crap out of that poor engine... After I had spent 15min under the faucet I found that the driver was dead. Anyways I opened the rear over it up and in front of the crankshaft there seems to be no bearing? I watched some teardown videos and most you could see the ball bearing infront of the crankshaft. Also I need new gaskets and it seems like the engine is discontinued?

Airplane engines have to be tuned by turning the needle in while throttling up ,that is why most
people prefer the remote needle valve to bring it back away from the spinning prop!.. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Your engine maybe too rich!

Maybe... This time it was because I was choking it too much and flooded it. Both engines need a tune-up and I've started on the O.S. engine.

@StonerRC365
Well I decided to try and fire it up before I tore it down to have it run one last time before I spread it's internals all over the garage. I ended up spraying fuel in my eye and I'm so far ok. Found that I had really flooded the crap out of that poor engine... After I had spent 15min under the faucet I found that the driver was dead. Anyways I opened the rear of it up and in front of the crankshaft there seems to be no bearing? I watched some teardown videos and most you could see the ball bearing infront of the crankshaft. Also I need new gaskets and it seems like the engine is discontinued?
Oh I'm doing a rebuild on a discontinued RC. The parts are out there. I just bought a bunch of duratrax parts.... yes there should be bearings on both sides of the crankshaft in block. So if missing another reason fuel would be going everywhere bud.. you can get bearings I'm sure

Attachments

• 16312369620462167214657911501647.jpg
    16312369620462167214657911501647.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 33
  • 16312369806961096315632198854903.jpg
    16312369806961096315632198854903.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 31
Here's some pictures of what I found. Now it runs like crap. Not sure what else to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_112252851.jpg
    IMG_20210911_112252851.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210911_112221028.jpg
    IMG_20210911_112221028.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210911_112235677.jpg
    IMG_20210911_112235677.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210911_112244745.jpg
    IMG_20210911_112244745.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 32
Here's some pictures of what I found. Now it runs like crap. Not sure what else to do.
So the engine was gummed up, you did a complete tear down and cleaning, put it back together and now it runs but it runs like crap? Did I understand correctly? Sorry the details are a little fuzzy to me.

Define running like crap.

Haven't done a full teardown. But I found that it doesn't look like it has bearings. Then I bolted it back together because it looked fine but now it runs like crap. Can't hold the idle and sounds like it is going to blow the head off. I think I'm just going to have to take the long process doing a full teardown and clean and rebuild.

Haven't done a full teardown. But I found that it doesn't look like it has bearings. Then I bolted it back together because it looked fine but now it runs like crap. Can't hold the idle and sounds like it is going to blow the head off. I think I'm just going to have to take the long process doing a full teardown and clean and rebuild.
That would be the best thing to do. Everything was set back to factory? Does the engine have pinch? Was it knocking? It doesn't look that bad. Was the right plug in? Sorry have to ask..

You may need to seal it, especially the backplate. Taking it apart may have created an air leak.

Definitely make sure the back plate is sealed.
Is the glow plug old? How old is the fuel?

I'll talk to my dad about it tonight...Thank you for that offer @cbaker65

Back