Tower hobbies .40 nitro aircraft engine. Is it gummed up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously ,you are more than welcome to have it as it is just collecting dust ,an it would be a joy
to just give it away to someone that can use it an get the joy out of it!..:thumbs-up:
You the man Baker....👍👍👍
Well if he took off back plate carefully the gasket should be ok. Is the gasket good on the plate?

Last edited:
You the man Baker....👍👍👍
Well if he took off back plate carefully the gasket should be ok. Is the gasket good on the plate?
Yes seems like it has a few air leaks. (Backplate,Head, maybe the carb?) Also who is the very kind person that is offering to cover shipping of this engine that @cbaker65 is offering me?

Yes seems like it has a few air leaks. (Backplate,Head, maybe the carb?) Also who is the very kind person that is offering to cover shipping of this engine that @cbaker65 is offering me?
Oh man that's horrible bud. Air leaks can be a real pain in the as* they can be a number of spots..Oh sweet really? that's awesome bud. Who said someone's covering the shipping??

Oh man that's horrible bud. Air leaks can be a real pain in the as* they can be a number of spots..Oh sweet really? that's awesome bud. Who said someone's covering the shipping??
Um @cbaker65 ?

You the man Baker....👍👍👍
The gasket looks good but I don't know if for some reason it would leak? Since you guys are sending me that other engine I'll teardown this one and see what I can learn from it.

The gasket looks good but I don't know if for some reason it would leak? Since you guys are sending me that other engine I'll teardown this one and see what I can learn from it.
That would definitely be a good learning tool for you bud..👍👍

Its possible that it is the bearing or bushing leaking bad ,because the crankshaft is swinging
a prop ,a prop that may not be balanced very well!
Some people will actually balance their props!..:thumbs-up:

Yeah I know I have no idea if this prop is balanced but the previous owner built and flew these so I think so? I don't know exactly. I'm going to try to get involved in a club nearby and they can show me if it's not balanced. Come to think of it when I take the prop off I'll throw it on the balancer to see if it's properly balanced. Never even thought about that!

That's how the piston top looks.

Attachments

• IMG-20210601-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20210601-WA0001.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 50
I've seen worse. Strip it all down, take the piston, rod, crankshaft and front bearing (if there is one. I know its a bushing in the rear) and soak it all in nito fuel for a day or two and then take a brass brush and scrub all the parts down real good.

That's how the piston top looks.
Oh nice it's not completely shot yet. Like above it could worse..doesn't look that bad...almost look pretty good most of the crap. Looks like it's on the outside of hear button. Was there a gasket under the head?

That engine was only a $49 dollar budget engine from Towers back in the day!..:cool:
Meaning as of today it's not worth a whole lot...😂
Yea ,was eye balling that burned residue around the head like it was leaking there!..🤔
Yeah last I checked it had a gasket in there or at least a sorry excuse. I had noticed a puff of smoke come from somewhere maybe the head?

Meaning as of today it's not worth a whole lot...😂

Yeah last I checked it had a gasket in there or at least a sorry excuse. I had noticed a puff of smoke come from somewhere maybe the head?

I dont think Tower hobbies sells that engine anymore ,they changed a lot these past 10 years on merchandise ,so
am quite sure parts would be hard to find!
I will be shipping your engine out tomorrow!..:thumbs-up:

I dont think Tower hobbies sells that engine anymore ,they changed a lot these past 10 years on merchandise ,so
Awesome let me know sir 👍

Thank you guys for that! Yeah I was looking for replacement gaskets and google only brought up like 4 results for the part # and most were manual downloads that contain that part #.

Back