Tower hobbies .40 nitro aircraft engine. Is it gummed up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfox2005

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
  3. Boating
Does my engine look gummed up? I think it does. I'm almost positive that it is spitting fuel out of the front bearing because it is gummed. When I had it running I thought there was no seal for the muffler and it was spitting it on the block but I'm sure it's this bearing. Will running the engine enough work the gunk out or should I do a full teardown and clean?
IMG_20210811_115753426.jpg

Last edited:
I would replace the bearing to be safe. I say that, because you seem concerned, and this aint no car on the ground stalling. All my nitro experience is in cars, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ok so how do I get replacement bearings of the engine happens to be discontinued? I haven't checked yet for bearings.

I agree, replace the bearing. Generally once the front bearing starts leaking that means its going bad. Id probably go ahead and replace the rear bearing too if you can find it.

Bearings are a general size. You can find any size bearing on ebay or places like McMaster Carr. Just measure the ID, OD, and thickness.
Engine bearings are a bit different though, especially the rear bearing as it doesn't have shielding. Its been a long time since I've been in a nitro engine but I dont believe the back of the front bearing has any shielding either IIRC

Engine bearings are a bit different though, especially the rear bearing as it doesn't have shielding. Its been a long time since I've been in a nitro engine but I dont believe the back of the front bearing has any shielding either IIRC
Bearings are bearings. If you need one without a seal on one side you can buy them that way as well.

I guess what I mean is bearings are not specifically made for RC. Bearings with shields on one side, both sides, metal seals, rubber seals, flanged bearings , etc, etc, etc are common in various sizes and you don't have to look for a bearing for a particular RC. You can measure any bearing and buy it from a bearing supply. Most crankcase bearings in industrial components, engines, and lots of other applications where oil is on one side of a bearing will be one side shielded.

Last edited:
Ok so how do I get replacement bearings of the engine happens to be discontinued? I haven't checked yet for bearings.
If you still have the manual to the plane.. the engine break down with bearing size should be in there.. if you don't have a way to measure it like a micrometer..but like "WICKED" said bearings are made in general.. you also could always pop off one side of the seal or both.. the cover aka seal is only to keep the grit out.. just got to do it carefully not to push in to far.. and mess up the retainer.. as far as if it's gummed up.. Can't tell by looking at it.. gummed up is in the inside of the engine.. with the old fuel turned gummy.. as it has sat to long with fuel still in side it.. and wasn't burned out or stored correctly...

Last edited:
Bearings are bearings. If you need one without a seal on one side you can buy them that way as well.

I guess what I mean is bearings are not specifically made for RC. Bearings with shields on one side, both sides, metal seals, rubber seals, flanged bearings , etc, etc, etc are common in various sizes and you don't have to look for a bearing for a particular RC. You can measure any bearing and buy it from a bearing supply. Most crankcase bearings in industrial components, engines, and lots of other applications where oil is on one side of a bearing will be one side shielded.
Good to know

If you still have the manual to the plane.. the engine break down with bearing size should be in there.. if you don't have a way to measure it like a micrometer..but like "WICKED" said bearings are made in general.. you also could always pop off one side of the seal or both.. the cover aka seal is only to keep the grit out.. just got to do it carefully not to push in to far.. and mess up the retainer.. as far as if it's gummed up.. Can't tell by looking at it.. gummed up is in the inside of the engine.. with the old fuel turned gummy.. as it has sat to long with fuel still in side it.. and wasn't burned out or stored correctly...
I do have the engine manual and it doesn't say anything regarding the bearings in the exploded parts view. All it says is something about a thrust washer being Infront of it. Guess I'll need to do a teardown.

Last edited:
I do have the engine manual and it doesn't say anything regarding the bearings in the exploded parts view. All it says is something about a thrust washer being Infront of it. Guess I'll need to do a teardown.
Wow really that weird.. usually the exploded parts veiw.. has the engine/motor in that exposed veiw as well.. Piece by piece... what's the make and model.. see if I can find something before you have to do a full breakdown.. either way you will have to.. But maybe can order it and not have to wait to long for it

It may not need nothing but a cleaning ,that fuel residue probably just came from the open carb. ,an flying
out ,then you have prop wash that blows the oil every where all over the plane ,planes get nastier of fuel
soak than any other nitro vehicle!..:hehe:

So I would just tear it down for a good cleaning an get you a small aircraft air filter for the carb.!..:thumbs-up:

If you don't have a set of calipers, you should look into getting some just for situations like this where you need to find a bearing size. Harbor freight has cheapo ones that are plenty close enough for this hobby. But if you want some good ones, SPI, Mitutoyo, or Starrett make really nice ones. Just make sure you get a digital set so you can switch from metric to SAE.

If you don't have a set of calipers, you should look into getting some just for situations like this where you need to find a bearing size. Harbor freight has cheapo ones that are plenty close enough for this hobby. But if you want some good ones, SPI, Mitutoyo, or Starrett make really nice ones. Just make sure you get a digital set so you can switch from metric to SAE.
Thats what I use.. got mine from Harbor freight...it has come in handy multiple times.. well worth it... I love Harbor freight usually go every Sunday morning it's like a man's candy store. Go in with 50$ and leave with a bunch for random tools and useful items....👍👍🤣🤣🤣

It may not need nothing but a cleaning ,that fuel residue probably just came from the open carb. ,an flying
out ,then you have prop wash that blows the oil every where all over the plane ,planes get nastier of fuel

So I would just tear it down for a good cleaning an get you a small aircraft air filter for the carb.!..:thumbs-up:
I'm confused now... Should I look into getting a air filter too? Is it the bearings going bad or this? Where can I find a aircraft air filter?

Last edited:
Thats what I use.. got mine from Harbor freight...it has come in handy multiple times.. well worth it... I love Harbor freight usually go every Sunday morning it's like a man's candy store. Go in with 50$ and leave with a bunch for random tools and useful items👍👍🤣🤣🤣
planes get nastier of fuel

Oh man that has to be horrible
What does everyone think about this? Should I look into getting a air filter too? Is it the bearings going bad or this?
Oh man 😬😲 I was just about to comment to backer.. that I'm sure he's running a air filter... YES 100% get a air filter. It's not good to run it with out one... wouldn't drive your car with out a air filter rite.. same thing with that one bud... Definitely need air filter.. and a good tear down as you might have got something in there.. which messed up your seal

Last edited:
I'm confused now... Should I look into getting a air filter too? Is it the bearings going bad or this? Where can I find a aircraft air filter?
If you get it de-gummed and the bearings don't feel sloppy or notchy, you are fine.

I'm confused now... Should I look into getting a air filter too? Is it the bearings going bad or this?

No ,I would not replace the bearings & upset them right now until you know for sure ,because it is common
for planes to spew out fuel or spent oil all over the place!
Back in the day ,people that flew planes really didnt use a air filter ,but these days ,they will use some kind of
screen type filter that helps ,not too much of a huge foam filter like you will see on a nitro buggy ,but just
a small light screen or thin sponge filter is all that is needed!

So I say just clean & run for now ,so you can better isolate where that is coming from!.. :thumbs-up:

If you get it de-gummed and the bearings don't feel sloppy or notchy, you are fine.
I would agree.. but he still needs a air filter on the engine it self...I just thought that it was off for picture..
No ,I would not replace the bearings & upset them right now until you know for sure ,because it is common
for planes to spew out fuel or spent oil all over the place!
Back in the day ,people that flew planes really didnt use a air filter ,but these days ,they will use some kind of
screen type filter that helps ,not too much of a huge foam filter like you will see on a nitro buggy ,but just
a small light screen or thin sponge filter is all that is needed!

So I say just clean & run for now ,so you can better isolate where that is coming from!.. :thumbs-up:
That's for sure... 👍👍👍
Sorry should have gave a better explanation.. to the air filter suggestion... didnt mean a big foam or two stage air filter..that's found on cars or trucks... no dirt or dust up off the ground... And now I'm feel like the as*hat on this one.... 😉🤣😔

Back