Tower hobbies .40 nitro aircraft engine. Is it gummed up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea ,was eye balling that burned residue around the head like it was leaking there!..🤔
That's exactly what I was thinking. That's why I asked if there was a gasket under the head..👍👍 looks like could've been the leak
Engine is in the mail!..:thumbs-up:
Sweet. You are the man Baker.👍👍
PM me when you get time...

Last edited:
So engine arrived and I've got it out and noticed there is no glow plugs. I assume they aren't a universal thing because I have another OS one and tower one. So what would I need for this to run? It doesn't have a manual either. Thank you for getting the engine to me and the propellers! @cbaker65 & @StonerRC365

Last edited:
So engine arrived and I've got it out and noticed there is no glow plugs. I assume they aren't a universal thing because I have another OS one and tower one. So what would I need for this to run? It doesn't have a manual either. Thank you for getting the engine to me and the propellers! @cbaker65 & @StonerRC365
Not sure if nitro engines come with a actual manual.I never looked for one 🤣🤣 . glow plugs are personal preference. And all come different, need the plug that works for your fuel and area your running in. A cold or hot or short medium long. What plug did you run in the one.. Or do you think that was the wrong plug as well. I will look into it for ya. .40 nitro rite

Not sure if those are the right size props ,if I am not mistaking ,the 40 size swings an 11 size an I gave you a 10 ,
if you noticed the box condition ,you can imagine what happen to the manual ,the glow got robbed!..:hehe:

But hey ,its a free engine ,should be able to google the manual!..:thumbs-up:...:cool:

Right. I really could care less about a manual. I am just asking about the glow plug to use. I really don't want to damage it and want to try and use what is recommended. Thoughts? @StonerRC365 Yeah it's a .40 size engine. Thanks!

Not sure if those are the right size props ,if I am not mistaking ,the 40 size swings an 11 size an I gave you a 10 ,
if you noticed the box condition ,you can imagine what happen to the manual ,the glow got robbed!..:hehe:

But hey ,its a free engine ,should be able to google the manual!..:thumbs-up:...:cool:
@cbaker65 You gave me a wooden 11x6 prop too.

Right. I really could care less about a manual. I am just asking about the glow plug to use. I really don't want to damage it and want to try and use what is recommended. Thoughts? @StonerRC365 Yeah it's a .40 size engine. Thanks!
Sorry bud been busy got some articles for you to read. But as far as the glow plug. The manual says a long plug. Here I got it for ya... along with another info for you to read. When you get time. But definitely read it...👍👍

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1162705/Tower-Hobbies-40-Engine.html

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/f...-first-2-stroke-glow-engine/#visitor_pref_pop

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/glow-plug-qa/
That first link is your engine manual. Has what plug to use on page two. The others are good basic info on the airplanes and their engines

Alright that's some great info there thank you! So from my understanding it's the glow plug length required is based on the head depth and the heat level is based on engine size and fuel %? Is that right? Also I'm looking for what kind of glow plug would be ideal for the new to me super tigre .40 I do have another glow plug for the tower one and another OS glow plug. The OS is a #6 I'm not sure if it would be compatible though. Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated!
Sorry bud been busy got some articles for you to read. But as far as the glow plug. The manual says a long plug. Here I got it for ya... along with another info for you to read. When you get time. But definitely read it...👍👍

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1162705/Tower-Hobbies-40-Engine.html

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/f...-first-2-stroke-glow-engine/#visitor_pref_pop

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/glow-plug-qa/
That first link is your engine manual. Has what plug to use on page two. The others are good basic info on the airplanes and their engines
I definitely appreciate the links just having a hard time finding the super tigre engine manual. It's not a GS .40 It's a S.40 I believe.

Last edited:
Alright that's some great info there thank you! So from my understanding it's the glow plug length required is based on the head depth and the heat level is based on engine size and fuel %? Is that right? Also I'm looking for what kind of glow plug would be ideal for the new to me super tigre .40 I do have another glow plug for the tower one and another OS glow plug. The OS is a #6 I'm not sure if it would be compatible though. Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated!

I definitely appreciate the links just having a hard time finding the super tigre engine manual. It's not a GS .40 It's a S.40 I believe.
I will look for it.. whats is it S .40. Post a pic of the casing with the letters and numbers.

GS 40 it says it right on the dang box!..:hehe:
I think he's asking about another one he has.. I sent him the manual for the one you sent him already..🤣🤣

GS 40 it says it right on the dang box!..:hehe:
An they have a website!
@cbaker65 Here's pictures of the box that you had sent me in a former PM. 😂
I think he's asking about another one he has.. I sent him the manual for the one you sent him already..🤣🤣
Uh maybe I missed it but I think I got you confused about what engine I need to find a manual for and find a glow plug for.
Above in the links you posted a manual for the tower hobbies engine. I need the manual for this new Super tigre engine.
And just to be clear I only own 3 engines I will list them below.
1. O.S. .46 AX
2. Tower hobbies .40
3 Super tigre S.40
Sorry about all the confusion that I may have caused.
I will look for it.. whats is it S .40. Post a pic of the casing with the letters and numbers.
I'll try to get a better picture when I'm at home. Here's what I've got though.

Attachments

• SUNP0014.jpg
    SUNP0014.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 46
  • SUNP0012-2.jpg
    SUNP0012-2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 50
  • SUNP0013-1.jpg
    SUNP0013-1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 48
  • SUNP0008-3.jpg
    SUNP0008-3.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 49
  • SUNP0006-6.jpg
    SUNP0006-6.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
@cbaker65 Here's pictures of the box that you had sent me in a former PM. 😂

Uh maybe I missed it but I think I got you confused about what engine I need to find a manual for and find a glow plug for.
Above in the links you posted a manual for the tower hobbies engine. I need the manual for this new Super tigre engine.
And just to be clear I only own 3 engines I will list them below.
1. O.S. .46 AX
2. Tower hobbies .40
3 Super tigre S.40
Sorry about all the confusion that I may have caused.

I'll try to get a better picture when I'm at home. Here's what I've got though.
Sorry thought you said for the tower .40.. No worries I will find the tigre .40 manual..

Thank you. I appreciate all of the help that you guy's are giving. Really just want to know what glow plug would work and be ideal for this engine. Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited:
How should I go about breaking/running in this engine?

I'm gonna see if I have the time today but might try to get that engine running. Final suggestions on how I should break it in? Prop size? Engine temperature? Thanks!

Back