Tower hobbies .40 nitro aircraft engine. Is it gummed up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys I still haven't gotten a chance to fire it up for the first time. Really want to but I don't think it would be wise trying to break it in with it being winter now and temps being lower. And right now the weather isn't cooperating. Really want to hear that sound! Also is it bad to store nitro fuel in a barn that will be around the same temperature as what it is outside?

Sorry guys I still haven't gotten a chance to fire it up for the first time. Really want to but I don't think it would be wise trying to break it in with it being winter now and temps being lower. And right now the weather isn't cooperating. Really want to hear that sound! Also is it bad to store nitro fuel in a barn that will be around the same temperature as what it is outside?
Yes I wouldn't do that. It probably wouldn't be good to use it sitting in low temps and for months. Is it alot sealed?

Yes I wouldn't do that. It probably wouldn't be good to use it sitting in low temps and for months. Is it alot sealed?
Yeah all the fuel is sealed with the caps should I move it to my garage so it will stay warmer?

Does my engine look gummed up? I think it does. I'm almost positive that it is spitting fuel out of the front bearing because it is gummed. When I had it running I thought there was no seal for the muffler and it was spitting it on the block but I'm sure it's this bearing. Will running the engine enough work the gunk out or should I do a full teardown and clean?View attachment 131663
Tear it down and inspect the bearing, replace if necessary. Remember, bad bearings can cause overheating and erratic tuning.

Does my engine look gummed up? I think it does. I'm almost positive that it is spitting fuel out of the front bearing because it is gummed. When I had it running I thought there was no seal for the muffler and it was spitting it on the block but I'm sure it's this bearing. Will running the engine enough work the gunk out or should I do a full teardown and clean?View attachment 131663
That engine has plain bearings I have one of those tower hobbies .40 abc engines and it doesn't have replaceable ball bearings it just has basically like a bushing so if it is actually worn enough to spray lots of fuel out the crankcase needs to be replaced and I highly doubt that is the problem unless it was damaged badly sometime and I just see a little sludge around the drive washer wich isn't a terrible thing I would guess it might be running a little too rich or something or maybe your glow fuel is getting too old but I just can't imagine that engine giving serious problems without total neglect and abuse something way out of the ordinary

Back