tmaxx 3.3 spur gear question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knall

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
The newer tmaxx (model 4908) comes with a 58 tooth spur I THINK and they advertize the top speed as being higher than the older version (4909) that comes with a 54 tooth spur I THINK.

What gives? its the same engine? The smaller spur SHOULD be higher top speed?

Am I wrong about the size spurs? Do I have a non factory spur? Is there some other diferance I am not aware of?

I got a used 4909 with a 54 tooth spur (I counted the teeth). Its PLENTY FAST top end wise. I am running a LOT of aluminum and a roll cage as well. So its a bit heavy. It wont wheelie to save its life.... so I am thinking of either getting a 56 or a 58 tooth spur. What size spur SHOULD the 4909 have on it from the factory?

Should I go w the 56 or the 58? I want more bottom end.... and it would be nice to wheelie..... but I dont wanna be flippin over everytime I touch the gas.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Changing the spur gear is more fine tuning your gear ratio when it comes to the gear ratio between the spur and the clutch bell. If you want a bigger change in torque change out your clutch bell. If you want to change in smaller increments to get more torque, put more teeth on the spur gear. stock I believe on the spur is 58 teeth; on the clutch bell I dont know if this is stock but I have 22 teeth.
In your case i think you are running a small spur gear so I would go up to the 58 teeth spur and see how you like it. If you want more torque then get a new clutch bell.

i have a gen 3 spur 54t rrp and a rrp 24t i not sure if i should install this spur the spur gear i have now is a 54t rrp is the rrp the same material i once had integy spur with stock tmaxx clucth bell and it got messed up by the integy spur i now have the macthing set still do not know if i should change it with this neww prouduct the rrp made

What gives? its the same engine? The smaller spur SHOULD be higher top speed?

Am I wrong about the size spurs? Do I have a non factory spur? Is there some other diferance I am not aware of?

You are correct with the spur gear sizes and both trucks use a 22T clutch bell stock. The difference in speed is the size of the wheels. 4908/7 being a larger diameter than the 4909. Spur gear size has much less effect on top speed than tire diameter does.

Get both of the spurs to experimant with. A few different size bells never hurt either.

All RRP gears are hardened and will work well with each other.

Back