The Conversion...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbob

WWJD
Reaction score
Recently upgraded the rustler 4x4 brushed to brushless. Here's the first test flight with the original 10 tooth pinion, 54 tooth spur and a 2s lipo...

Definitely faster but not by a whole lot, need to get a gps for more accurate assessment. Motor is getting very hot, can only tolerate touching it for about 5 seconds, esc and wires staying very cool compared to motor...
Now that i'm in too deep, need more speed, gonna next take it up a tooth with an 11 pinion. Also got an adapter for adjusting the gear mesh, set it and forget it and a 3s lipo to boot. I've ordered a heatsink for the motor but its backordered, good chance i'll experience overheating issues but planning to cut out windshield if need be to allow some better air flow...
pinionsrs.jpg

adapt02rs.jpg

adapt05rs.jpg

3cell03rs.jpg

Noticed the stock plastic center driveshaft had a wee bit of a wobble so was going to upgrade it with a aluminum shaft. After disassembling the plastic shaft, i discovered the steering apparatus was rubbing and had worn the plastic shaft some. Being that the aluminum shaft diameter is larger than the plastic shaft and i see no adjustments i could do without reducing the already limited steering radius, i'll continue to use the plastic driveshaft till i figure out an acceptable solution. Last but not least, some new lug nuts...
driveshafts02rs.jpg

worn01rs.jpg

worn02rs.jpg

lugs01rs.jpg

Looking forward to the next test flight, will edit in update asap...

I've got the fan, just waiting on a heatsink for the motor, back ordered two. Word on the street is they'll be back in stock by mid june. So far the esc doesn't seem to need a fan but will add one if it becomes necessary. At that point i'll have to start fabricating something to house a secondary power source...
fannedrs.jpg

Run a Y adapter to the esc and run both fans off the Y adapter.
I don’t think cutting a hole or cutting out the windshield is a good idea; it can cause the body to act as a parachute and cause it to lift and flip over at speed.

Upgrade to an aluminum steering bell crank should give you clearance. Also maybe try to adapt a dog bone style axle to work as your drive shaft; the dog bone style axles seem to be thinner than the center drive shaft options. And they are plenty strong being made from steel

Run a Y adapter to the esc and run both fans off the Y adapter.
I don’t think cutting a hole or cutting out the windshield is a good idea; it can cause the body to act as a parachute and cause it to lift and flip over at speed.

Upgrade to an aluminum steering bell crank should give you clearance. Also maybe try to adapt a dog bone style axle to work as your drive shaft; the dog bone style axles seem to be thinner than the center drive shaft options. And they are plenty strong being made from steel
No it does not unless you dont cut out a exit hole by rear body mounts. no holes will act like a parachute

No it does not unless you dont cut out a exit hole by rear body mounts. no holes will act like a parachute
I understand. I have no experience with this though. On my build (6S 4x4 slash) that’s what I experienced. What I did was drop the body as low as I could on the chassis, then get the ride height as low as I could, align it, then used abs plastic, flex seal, duct tape, and a heat gun to make ducting to get air flow to the motor/esc and out of the body. Then it shredded a tire at 75+ (radar indicated)….. now I’m in the rebuild/fixing process

I raced sct as a pro for 7 years until sct was put on the back burner by almost all rc events. team C then radiopost then Losi... nothing like passing a guy in the air off a 26 foot table top thats takeoff to landing point a 26' jump. carpet dirt clay parking lots..

After some recent power upgrades i find myself still waiting on a backordered heatsink and with the constant hypotheatical threat of global warming felt it was time to devise a plan so i could get back to bashing asap without fear of overheating issues. With some common household items and basic tools, i fabbed up an air induction system for the rustler 4x4, here's the prototype... 🌬️
proto02rs.jpg

proto01rs.jpg

proto05rs.jpg

proto07rs.jpg

proto06rs.jpg

I like it man! I just used the air flow from under the bottom front of the body and ducted it to the motor and esc. And let it discharge out the back by cutting off the “tailgate” if you will. I’m on the VXL6S power system. So I don’t struggle with heat at all between the larger can and esc and the redneck fab nacca ducts

I dont think his kit is going to "parachute" on 2 or 3S but it definitely will on the high powered speed run kits that werent purpose built for onroad like my Rusty or your slash on 6S :)
I have cut out on my Rusty body with shoe goo'd screen like Bob did but mine were for eaxctly fopr the purpose of eliminating the parachute effect so my cut are along the top and rear of the body. I also cut off the "tailgate" of that Rusty lid. Works pretty well for letting the air escape through the back half of the lid.

SDC13920.JPG

SDC13930.JPG

I dont think his kit is going to "parachute" on 2 or 3S but it definitely will on the high powered speed run kits that werent purpose built for onroad like my Rusty or your slash on 6S :)
I have cut out on my Rusty body with shoe goo'd screen like Bob did but mine were for eaxctly fopr the purpose of eliminating the parachute effect so my cut are along the top and rear of the body. I also cut off the "tailgate" of that Rusty lid. Works pretty well for letting the air escape through the back half of the lid.

View attachment 128081
View attachment 128082

Nice neat looking job...

Update:
3S lipo, swapped out the 10 tooth for an 11 tooth pinion and cut some openings in the bofy for increased air flow. Haven't installed any fans and still waiting on a backorderd heat sink. Took for a test drive today. I'm guesstimating its hitting at least 40+ mph, will be attaching a gps soon for more accurate measurement. Whatever the actual speed is, i have almost no control of the vehicle at full throttle. 2S lipo spoiled me time wise, i'd usually grow bored, break something or both before the 2S lipo was depleted, the 3S ran out of juice in half the time. Only thing left to do is find somewhere with jumps. As much as i don't really want to tote a ramp around in the back of my car, its now looking like my best and only option. Willing to travel to bashing spots but rather try and learn how to survive launching off ramps for more than 5 minutes before i start driving long distances looking for bashing spots. If anyone has locations to share, i'm in north east nj and have no problem traveling 200+ miles. Heres a couple quick clips of my recently converted rustler 4x4...

Last edited:
Try going down to a 50T spur. Should give you more speed.

STRC makes CNC machines aluminum center drive shaft hubs. And traxxas makes an aluminum center drive shaft.

STRC and traxxas both sell aluminum steering bell cranks, but use bearing instead of the plastic bushing the stock one uses. Between both of these, you should get more strength from your drive line and the clearance between your drive shaft and steering linkage.

if more speed is what your after, you COULD go with the 4SVXL motor and esc. It’s 2400Kv. Going with steel mod 1 46T spur and 25T-26T pinion gears will give you around 55-65 mph. With this system thought, your also going to need mip x duty CVDs or Traxxas steel splined CVDs. Also traxxas front and rear spiral cut differential ring and pinion gears with traxxas part number 6882X differential gears.
Personally, I would up grade the center drive shaft, CVDs, steering bell crank, and differentials regardless of what power system you chose to run. Speed runs or bashing, strength in your drive line is your friend.

The rustler 4x4 conversion is nearing its completion. The motors heatsink has finally arrived. Will install it along with a couple other key ingredients and hopefully find the time to test drive asap...
heatoff02rs.jpg

The rustler 4x4 conversion is nearing its completion. The motors heatsink has finally arrived. Will install it along with a couple other key ingredients and hopefully find the time to test drive asap...
heatoff02rs.jpg
Yeah man! That's awesome. I'm doing a conversion my self. Tmaxx to a Emaxx I love building or converting RCs. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Quick update on the rustler brushed to brushless conversion. Installed heatsink for brushless motor, doing its job, waiting on fan. Installed 17 toof pinion with stock 54 toof spur. Test run this weekend, gps recorded 31 mph on 2s. Next tested rustler on 3s, got it up to 44 mph before losing control and becoming airborne into the side of a parked bmw, don't ask don't tell, needless to say that ended the days session. Now what to do? I'm in too deep, gotta install some TSM if i want to have any chance at surviving full throttle... lol
skyrc02rs.jpg

skyrc01rs.jpg

I wouldnt go with a gyro just yet. Id get some better tires than the stock Talons and Id get some adjustable tie/steering rods to be able to control toe and camber. Make sure you suspension is set up right too. To soft or to hard and youll have control issues, especially on pavement. Just my .02

I wouldnt go with a gyro just yet. Id get some better tires than the stock Talons and Id get some adjustable tie/steering rods to be able to control toe and camber. Make sure you suspension is set up right too. To soft or to hard and youll have control issues, especially on pavement. Just my .02
I'm sure you're probably right. I already have some new tires, Sledgehammers, not really sure they'll help me keep the rubber side down but they look like they'll be fun just the same. Drove past some some large empty parking lots recently, going to give them a try asap...