The Old Crap: Vintage Tamiyas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panko75

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Rather than bore this board with a thread on every old Tamiya I've owned, I'll just make a single thread that should cover them.

I began my Tamiya journey with two cars, a TT01, and a Grasshopper. Neither were great in any way, but I came to appreciate the Grasshoppers simplicity and I understood that it was an old design, it also made me brave enough to re-build an entire transmission on an RC.

The TT01...and really anything TT, I grew to see as little more than body holders (look at how many end up as shelf queens).

Tamiyas old solid axle RCs drive like crap compared to most modern RCs (though they drive better than a stock TT02), but they just "work", the steering does it job, they use steel solid axles and giant nylon gears, they can run all day without getting hot, and they take a half an hour to fix anything.

The Frog/ORV stuff is incredibly crude, and yet they have more metal on them than a 2wd Traxxas, and they're fun when they work...which they rarely do, but hey, it's a design from about 1983.

And that leads me into modern Tamiyas, the world of tiny plastic diff gears, suspension balls that pop out over pebbles, plastic in plastic suspension arms, friction shocks (a surprising number of old Tamiyas have oil filled shocks), crap steering, giant plastic dogbones, and hop-ups to "fix" these problems.

How do you make something that's somehow worse (and cheaper to make), but not "modernize" a bit? Could I have some nicer plastic that doesn't crack sitting on the shelf? Bearings? Useful shocks? Oh right, I can but it'll cost more than a brushless RTR.

I give credit to Tamiyas older design for experimenting a bit, and some even make for fun low-maintence runners. Essentially "neat toys that you can fix", good for cheap bums like me that run NiMH and brushed stuff.

Their modern stuff...feels like it's made to sell aluminum hop ups. In fact, I blame their modern offerings for making me a bit jaded towards the hop-up scene. I don't have a problem with upgrades, I just shouldn't "need" them. Dogbones shouldn't pop out every tap, drive cups/shafts shouldn't wear out in 3 battery packs, and I quite prefer steering that...you know...works.

For the record, my 20+ year old Super Hornet has less slop in it than any TeeTee-O thing that I've owned.

20240108_142054.jpg.51ec4ba63bc9ea4328cacb17d2c69a74.jpg

20231118_121706.jpg.447243e8753dc8eed7c6330d87c4afc2.jpg

when i saw 'the old crap' i thought TT-02.
Hey!
People still race these you know
🤣 🫠

There is rules tho. Why should I follow those rules
Well if I don't I'll get kicked out and banned so I guess I got to follow them.
I thought cheating was a good thing, but I don't think so anymore.

Rather than bore this board with a thread on every old Tamiya I've owned, I'll just make a single thread that should cover them.

I began my Tamiya journey with two cars, a TT01, and a Grasshopper. Neither were great in any way, but I came to appreciate the Grasshoppers simplicity and I understood that it was an old design, it also made me brave enough to re-build an entire transmission on an RC.

The TT01...and really anything TT, I grew to see as little more than body holders (look at how many end up as shelf queens).

Tamiyas old solid axle RCs drive like crap compared to most modern RCs (though they drive better than a stock TT02), but they just "work", the steering does it job, they use steel solid axles and giant nylon gears, they can run all day without getting hot, and they take a half an hour to fix anything.

The Frog/ORV stuff is incredibly crude, and yet they have more metal on them than a 2wd Traxxas, and they're fun when they work...which they rarely do, but hey, it's a design from about 1983.

And that leads me into modern Tamiyas, the world of tiny plastic diff gears, suspension balls that pop out over pebbles, plastic in plastic suspension arms, friction shocks (a surprising number of old Tamiyas have oil filled shocks), crap steering, giant plastic dogbones, and hop-ups to "fix" these problems.

How do you make something that's somehow worse (and cheaper to make), but not "modernize" a bit? Could I have some nicer plastic that doesn't crack sitting on the shelf? Bearings? Useful shocks? Oh right, I can but it'll cost more than a brushless RTR.

I give credit to Tamiyas older design for experimenting a bit, and some even make for fun low-maintence runners. Essentially "neat toys that you can fix", good for cheap bums like me that run NiMH and brushed stuff.

Their modern stuff...feels like it's made to sell aluminum hop ups. In fact, I blame their modern offerings for making me a bit jaded towards the hop-up scene. I don't have a problem with upgrades, I just shouldn't "need" them. Dogbones shouldn't pop out every tap, drive cups/shafts shouldn't wear out in 3 battery packs, and I quite prefer steering that...you know...works.

For the record, my 20+ year old Super Hornet has less slop in it than any TeeTee-O thing that I've owned.

View attachment 183015

View attachment 183016
Buy an Arrma Typhon. 6s. :cool:

They more or less did pave the way, with Associated paving the way for super serious compeitive stuff that goes obsolete in 5 weeks.
I don't agree with that. The original RC10 won world championships for a number of years (1985-1993), as did the later versions from the B2 to B4, which weren't much different from each other, winning various championships from 1995-2011.

I don't agree with that. The original RC10 won world championships for a number of years (1985-1993), as did the later versions from the B2 to B4, which weren't much different from each other, winning various championships from 1995-2011.
I guess it's a more recent thing via Thunder Tiger. I've owned some older TA models, good stuff, getting spare parts isn't fun.

The 2 vehicles I dreamed of having growing up but never got...
View attachment 185124

I've been tempted to get one of those shells for my TL01B, it already has the right stance.

20240316_153530.jpg

I guess it's a more recent thing via Thunder Tiger. I've owned some older TA models, good stuff, getting spare parts isn't fun.

I've been tempted to get one of those shells for my TL01B, it already has the right stance.

View attachment 185190
With the newer stuff the competition has upped their game. So it can be expected that updates come a bit more frequently as they try to stay with the pack.

With the newer stuff the competition has upped their game. So it can be expected that updates come a bit more frequently as they try to stay with the pack.
Point taken, I don't follow racing so maybe I'll take some time to catch up on it.

They more or less did pave the way, with Associated paving the way for super serious compeitive stuff that goes obsolete in 5 weeks.
You're thinking of some other higher end racing breed RC manufacturers pumpin' out platforms every 5 weeks. Team Associated's newly revised platforms are being pushed out, and marketed every 6 weeks... (sarcasm) 😜 .

Tamiya models have always been more fun, the ta02 based models were always the most fun for me, on road and off road. Attached is a picture of my 2nd favorite tamiya offering. A df01 tamiya hummer xb I found to replace the one I had 20 years ago

20240131_191252.jpg

20240131_234843.jpg

Back