Losi Mini B club racer build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I already got a mini b build but that one is outdated. Here is the new and revised Mini B

Plan for this build is to tune it, get it dialed for my local carpet track, and for some club racing on alternating Saturdays.

I will be racing in the Mini B open class.

Class rules:
Chassis can be any chassis: Plastic, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, ect.
Wheelbase of 180mm minimum and 191mm maximum.
Width: 170mm min, 184mm max.
Motor: Can be any brushed or brushless micro motor to not exceed 380 size or 2435 motor.
Tires: Can be 1/18 and 1/16 rubber tires only. No foams, touring car tires, 1/10 hex adapters, ect
Electronics: Open
Battery: 2-3 cell LiPo, LiHV, LiFe
Body: Buggy style body with wing

Current Upgrades:
PL Prism Rears
PL Wedges front
Hot Racing aluminum front bulkhead
Hot Racing aluminum steering rack / bellcranks
Hot Racing Aluminum servo saver (savox)
Savox sh0255mg (using stock servo mounts)
Radiolink R6FG receiver to pair up with my Radiolink RC4GS V3
Dynamite 2 in 1 esc/motor combo (changing to standalone esc and motor soon)
Dynamite 650 and 800 2s batteries (Upgrading to Urgenex 1110 Lipos soon)
Losi aluminum front and rear shocks from the Mini T
Jconcepts S2 clear body
Amazon Aluminum gear case
Amazon Carbon Shock tower with aluminum mount
I will be using my MyLAPS 3 wire transponder from my 1/10 buggy to count my laps

I had just gotten a new chassis and chassis protectors for it as well.

I had also spray painted the dogbones orange just in case if my ball cup pops out and driveshaft falls out. Black little axle on a huge black/grey carpet track, very hard to find, not sure how I found it before, lol.

Some history of the car: I got it in April of 2022. Started out as a box stock brushed car. Upgrading it to this beast today. Old local track used to do Mini B racing but it wasn't popular.

New local track started doing it the other week, we had a total of 4 racers, but only did 2 heats as I was breaking stuff, and people were tired. Hopefully we can get some more racers in. Local track is racing on Saturdays. It will be alternating Saturdays with on road stuff.

Next upgrades for the car:
Brass chassis weight kit
New batteries
ESC/Motor combo (separate)
And what ever else breaks!

I also did order some spare parts my last AMain order. Some spare parts I got were front and rear shock towers (stock losi plastic), a arms set (losi plastic) and losi plastic gear case.

PXL_20230610_025526506 (1).jpg

PXL_20230610_025512513 (1).jpg

Owners 3 Mini Bs
PXL_20230610_170427230.jpg

PXL_20230610_190523778.jpg

PXL_20230611_023405093.jpg

PXL_20230616_172339148.jpg

PXL_20230616_170332245.jpg

PXL_20230616_170323749.jpg

PXL_20230616_154114821.jpg

PXL_20230616_154102624.MP.jpg

I always love to see the B's!

I didn't see you mention shimming the suspension?

I have some Yokomo shims that are absolutely perfect for shimming the B all out and getting the suspension tightened up perfectly. If you don't already have some or know let me know and I'll dig them up for the part #'s. It makes a night and day difference imho

I always love to see the B's!

I didn't see you mention shimming the suspension?

I have some Yokomo shims that are absolutely perfect for shimming the B all out and getting the suspension tightened up perfectly. If you don't already have some or know let me know and I'll dig them up for the part #'s. It makes a night and day difference imho
Nope, never really tuned it like that. As I am getting into racing more and more each day, I am figuring out new tuning options and making the cars more dialed in.

Here is the new carbon shock tower. It also came with an aluminum mount for the gear case. I also put a clear wing that came with the JConcepts body to make it identical to the B74.

PXL_20230617_165101841.jpg

PXL_20230617_165055507.jpg

PXL_20230617_165110332.jpg

PXL_20230617_170640515.jpg

PXL_20230617_165044592.jpg

PXL_20230617_162404359.jpg

Recently, Me and Lamont found a programmer that works with the King Val esc's which can be used with the Surpass Hobby programmer. I had turned pup the brakes, Drag brake and some other things.

I had broke the plastic shock tower, I had a spare so I installed that. I am upgrading to carbon fiber one. Getting this KYX one off of Amazon.

Attempted to rebuild the shocks. I did 35wt in the rear, and 40wt in the front (AE oils)

2 out of 4 of them leaked. Pretty hard to rebuild as you have to rebuild them from the bottom, not the top as the cap is molded on to the body. So I am going to see if someone else can rebuild them for me as i can't.

Also I am getting aluminum servo mounts as the plastic ones are stripped out (screws back out)

I was having problems with the gear mesh / slipper which I had figured out. I am getting the aluminum motor plate for losi as I can set my own gear mesh with that, as stock, it is all preset for you.

For racing, I only have 1 ponder so I will be switching transponders in and out of both cars after each race. Would be helpful if I had another one to make things easy, but Mylaps 3 wire ponders are just too expensive.

I am also getting the new RC8X which comes with the R4FGM receiver so it will be great for this car.

I’m doing the same with a single transponder. It was fine until I got to the mains and had the two classes I was running back to back. I really had to hustle when I switched from 17.5 buggy to 4wd SCT!

If I stick with this racing thing a while I’ll probably grab another when funds allow. Then I can install them much more cleanly.

New front carbon fiber shock tower. And new radiolink R4FGM. Great receiver for this as it is mini and has a smaller antenna. Will have this paired up with my new RC8X.
PXL_20230713_200837109.jpg

PXL_20230713_210424405.jpg

Cool build, I used to have a Mini-T 2.0 but i didn't like how limiting it was in it's size and capability so i sold mine for an okay price RTR. I'm mostly going to stick to 10th scale and bigger for now. But i looked into Rlaarlo's AM-X12 12th Scale 4wd buggy and might get one someday.

Went racing yesterday. The car broke right before 1st qual so I didn't even race it. Still have batteries charged up which i will just leave charged until I can run them.
I had lost 2 spring cups
A screw and pillow ball for the shock end
And I think I broke some other stuff too.
2 out of 4 shocks leaked when I rebuilt them so going to try again with that.

Me and the locals are trying to do something about the spring cups. They always come off and fly off. We are thinking of drilling a hole in them and zip tie them to the spring so they won't fly out.

Mini B will be on hold for a few weeks. Might order parts tomorrow or saturday.

I contacted losi to see if they sell the spring cups and pillow balls separately so I don't have so spend another 40 bucks for the whole set of shocks. I found some 3D printed spring cups on esty for 9 bucks and they say they fix the problem that we have, but I don't believe so. They come in different colors so I am going to get yellow or orange so if it does pop off, we can see it, hopefully. So they only thing I am waiting for is the shock pillow balls for the end/eyelet.

I don't have video of it, but there is some video from the Mini B qual and main on the FB group (RC Underground Arena). We have 1 driver that is a pro at this. Yes he does crash sometimes but he is really good, his car is setup very good and very good consistency. I was also talking to a guy last night which he is buying the Pro roller and racing with us.
Cool build, I used to have a Mini-T 2.0 but i didn't like how limiting it was in it's size and capability so i sold mine for an okay price RTR. I'm mostly going to stick to 10th scale and bigger for now. But i looked into Rlaarlo's AM-X12 12th Scale 4wd buggy and might get one someday.
All true. These cars are smaller so its a bit harder to work on. But with me wrenching on it more and more, I know the car better and I know how its put together so I can fix it up faster. With the Mini T with the shorter chassis and wheelbase its really small and tight fitting aftermarket electronics. With the Mini B, you have a longer chassis so you got just a little bit more room to play with, not that much, but the body is lower as well so when putting the body on, I am trying to rearrange wires to make the body fit on. I was using velcro for the body, but with the wires deciding to be pushing on the body, I went back to the body clip.

Something I forgot to mention above is that my body broke where I put it through the shock tower, so I used some gorilla tape to hold it down in the front. I still have my stock one which I will use that for the time being.

Last edited:
Went racing yesterday. The car broke right before 1st qual so I didn't even race it. Still have batteries charged up which i will just leave charged until I can run them.
I had lost 2 spring cups
A screw and pillow ball for the shock end
And I think I broke some other stuff too.
2 out of 4 shocks leaked when I rebuilt them so going to try again with that.

Me and the locals are trying to do something about the spring cups. They always come off and fly off. We are thinking of drilling a hole in them and zip tie them to the spring so they won't fly out.

Mini B will be on hold for a few weeks. Might order parts tomorrow or saturday.

I contacted losi to see if they sell the spring cups and pillow balls separately so I don't have so spend another 40 bucks for the whole set of shocks. I found some 3D printed spring cups on esty for 9 bucks and they say they fix the problem that we have, but I don't believe so. They come in different colors so I am going to get yellow or orange so if it does pop off, we can see it, hopefully. So they only thing I am waiting for is the shock pillow balls for the end/eyelet.

I don't have video of it, but there is some video from the Mini B qual and main on the FB group (RC Underground Arena). We have 1 driver that is a pro at this. Yes he does crash sometimes but he is really good, his car is setup very good and very good consistency. I was also talking to a guy last night which he is buying the Pro roller and racing with us.
Oh cool i never had that problem with my Mini-T or my step bro's Mini-T his is all stock mine had the upgraded shocks, Serrated wheel nuts, Amazon special brushless system and a Futaba radio system before i sold it off.

Been a while since I posted on here.
Haven't raced it in a while, since I been absent for a while, and since I wasn't at the track for 2 whole months, they haven't really raced Minis.
Yesterday for practice, I landed wrong, bent and cracked the rear CF tower I had, and transmission sounds weird. So full rebuild on that.
TLR just released and now is on preorder, TLR Tuned Option Parts. Planning on getting the new CVA driveshafts, rear hubs, CF towers, and the new Aluminum shocks. Might just get everything. Lol.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/search...VoqASDDl72tyyVqm-DVcO6Bgy6U-Nac2NEFwnSM51fSeo

I’m interested in the new brushless one. But I’ll wait till AMain or my LHS has it in stock. Horizon isn’t getting my credit card info after all the stuff that’s been going on related to the vendetta sale. People have been getting charged multiple times for the same order etc. I’ve got no first hand account but I’m not taking any chances either.

The last thing i bought from Horizon was my Outcast 8s EXB roller which still haven't built yet but i'm plotting out a plan to someday buy a Losi 5ive-T 2.0 or maybe the future 3.0 if they release it I also want a Limitless or Infraction 1\7. i did hear about the new Losi Mini-B Brushless but i don't think i want another Losi mini after the
Mini-T 2.0 which i wasn't very impressed with even after swapping in a cheap brushless system.

Shredded the stock slipper pads and burned the slipper so getting the MIP slipper conversion kit :cool:

Just skimmed through. Very nice. I have a couple Mini B's myself. One full stock, the other brushless. Unfortunately, the tracks are a bit out of the way. One more for 10th scale and the other, kind of small and hard to access for practice. Really love this form factor. Nice build. Looks like you have a good mini race scene, in your area. Very cool.

Has anyone found a good solution for keeping the spring cups in place? I super glued mine in place on my crawler and might do that on my mini b also.

I tried super glue and zip ties. Zip ties didnt work. Super glue worked until it broke / dried up.
My buddy 3d printed 4 cups for me which are a longer / larger perch which keeps the spring in place. I'll post a picture when I get home. And I'll try to find the file for you. 😎

Was wrenching on the mini b. Lost the standoff so I just used a long screw, spacer on the other side, and then a nut. Didn't tighten it all the way because if I did, it will clamp the cap and will lock up the shock.

Got ellipse's rear and stock bar tire front.

Getting in my MIP slipper clutch Tuesday so I'll install that then, and maybe do a test run at the local indoor dirt track. Gonna take it easy over the jumps so I don't break anything. Put more preload to raise the ride height, and also not to mention the front shock has no oil.

PXL_20231119_224452964.jpg

PXL_20231119_224516320.jpg

Got the MIP slipper clutch in and all set properly.
Since to local carpet track had to close up, I'm not running this thing alot. Setting up a little mini track in the basement so I have a use for it. Looks like no one else in the area races them. I mean they would if they have people, you know.

I'm only racing / using it on carpet. Wanted to try it on the clay track but its too busy as I am wanting to try to take this thing on the track when no one else is on it. This vs 1/10th buggies truggies and short course trucks, yea this thing would die if it sees one of those, lol.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/davids-basement-mini-track-private-just-for-show.140252/

Back