T-Max 2.5 to electric conversion thoughts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottc

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Here is an idea that i have running thru my head with converting my 2.5 T-max to electric.
Iam not sure if there is a electric conversion for the nitro T-maxs.....

i would pick up a esc and motor combo suitable for the size of the truck. i would set up the ESC to have brakes but NO reverse, reverse would be with the 3rd servo set in the truck, iam thinking that the reverse would work better as you dont have to worry about the idle to come down to engage the reverse gear, use the same slipper clutch set up, Now the 2nd would work the same and may need some adjustment for the shift point. I think this would be very fast and light on its feet as it is already lighter then my E-max .

would this work or has it been done in the past....

It's been done. Do a search. A fellow linked me to a motor mount a few months back. The weight will be real similar to an E Maxx. The motor and batteries is where the weight comes from. I believe reverse would get shelled real quick with electric power. Especially if you go bl/lipo. A cool project none the less.

Matt
link me to a motor mount if you remember the link. i would think a 1/8 esc and motor would be a good choice to look at.

I'll do some searching around for that mount. I agree with the 1/8th esc/motor setup. I would think 4s would be ideal. And I suppose stuffing the tranny with Robinson gears would beef it right up. Expensive, but you only have to do it once. The newer, sealed revo diffs would fall right in as well. Shafts are easy enough to come up with for the older Maxx's. I bet it would cook as well. The 2 speed should work just fine as long as you go with a motor that hits the amount of rpm's you need. Which isn't a problem these days.:)

you can do a conversion, however. i think you'd be better off just buying the e-maxx chassis for your gen t-maxx and the e-maxx transmission. i'd just sell yours on ebay. the suspension should bolt up fine. as far as the reverse goes if you go this route, you would still need the motor to spin backwards for reverse, as the 3rd channel regulates the 2 speed transmission.

the t max i have is the 4910..i have the emax now just want to make use of the nitro i dont use any more or not that much.
the motor would not need to run back words thats what the gears in the transmission do cause then the nitro engine would have to run back wards to.

wow i love that mount its simple and looks effective to.
thanks for the link to.

Never a problem. Remember too that Robinson makes a nice slipper for the 2.5 tranny. This would probably be needed to have any sort of adjustability. The stocker would most likely be overwhelmed if it wasn't locked tight.

I would go elec come next winter warm weather comin i would stay nitro i prefer liquid recharge.Just my opion:p:

I did the same thing to my maxx a few months ago. I would recomend the castle mamba monster system! Crazy fast! However i snapped many drive cups, blew through many diffs and even striped out the tranny! Be sure to limit the punch control to avoid destruction! :hehe:

Even the Novak setup, whatever it's called. If you came across a decent deal on it anyways. 4s is probably the most you want to run through it so it stays together. I can't remember how many rpm's a 2.5 or a 3.3 turn, but I'd imagine that's what you want to use for a guide line. But would you have to run a 20t pinion then with the stock spur? Help us gurus.:)

Even the Novak setup, whatever it's called. If you came across a decent deal on it anyways. 4s is probably the most you want to run through it so it stays together. I can't remember how many rpm's a 2.5 or a 3.3 turn, but I'd imagine that's what you want to use for a guide line. But would you have to run a 20t pinion then with the stock spur? Help us gurus.:)

The rpm is not gona hurt you as bad as the torque stay with in reason on rpm you can go above what the engine had i feel 5000 would be safe but i would go with bearings in everything and metal gears were ever you can then go out and rip it!Oh as far as money don't worry more $ = more fun!:D