Rovan Baja 5b

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Most of you already know I have two Baja 5b rigs. One I custom built which is a really nice rig but so heavy it's a pain to mess with.
Here is my plan. My shorty Baja 5b has a 29cc engine and the custom has a 36cc engine.
I think I am going to buy a electric conversion kit and install it in the custom and get rid of some heavy aluminum and put the 36cc engine in my Baja shorty.
That should be fun. Getting rid of a bunch of aluminum, I don't think the motor and esc will heat up as bad as it would if I installed it now.

and then send it to the moon!
Jk, jk
😅 🤣
Oh yes I will. I just bought a A-arm set and getting rid of the aluminum. It don't make sense to have it sitting out in shed because it's too heavy to do anything with it so I'm rebuilding it with plastic.

I figured I'll keep this thread going with my progress in case anybody might be interested.
Nothing fancy, just bored out of my mind and wanted to turn something that's slow and a pain in the arse to move around
and turn it into something more fun.

She weighs 39 lbs. as of now.

I've eliminated 11.5 lbs. of aluminum so far. I know I'll be installing weight back but not nearly as much.

IMG_1263.JPG

For the new guys that's never seen the size of a 1/5 scale rig, well here is a idea.

IMG_1262.JPG

New plan, I'm installing a 5b shorty kit. With the 36cc she gonna wheelie like a mo fo.

Last edited:
I mentioned before that my first baja has a 29cc engine and the custom rig that I am rebuilding is a 36cc engine.
I'm installing the shorty kit so it should run like a ape that slid down a slide with razor blades and landing in a pool of rubbing alcohol.
I run them out at the sand dunes we have close to us and with this kind of anticipated madness, "one could hope" it requires sand paddles. :cool: :cool: :cool:

IMG_1264.JPG

Yes, but I'll have to wait until I get paid at the end of the month. The kit is $180.

I've got it completely stripped down, now just waiting for the end of Feb. to roll around.

Last edited:
Didn't you used to have one like that only it was metal? 🤔 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
No, no, no. He used to have one like this, but it was longer. See, he had a plastic shorter one, so he wanted a longer metal one. Then he wanted a plastic shorter one with a bigger motor. Next he'll want a carbon, shorter, plastic... no wait. A longer, plastic one with a lawnmower deck under it.

It was longer and wider. This one is a shorty and narrow like my green one.
It was too heavy to mess with so I stripped it down.

So with the bigger motor, are you going to be able to go up in pinion size a bit?

I'm not sure WF, I've honestly never messed with the pinions on these.

i got a new set of those 10 shaft shocks there super stiff and creaky i haven't used them yet.

No, no, no. He used to have one like this, but it was longer. See, he had a plastic shorter one, so he wanted a longer metal one. Then he wanted a plastic shorter one with a bigger motor. Next he'll want a carbon, shorter, plastic... no wait. A longer, plastic one with a lawnmower deck under it.
Ok now stop, thanks to you I have no clue what I'm building. :eek:

I installed the front shock mount and I just received some steering knuckle balls, or what ever the heck you call those.:p

IMG_1277.JPG

Back