Steering help on muggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motarded659

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey all, I'm new here and have a question of course. I just got a used muggy and some brand new steering servos (jr z590m) got it all together and it doesn't turn as far left as it does right. I visually looked at suspension components and they look good. i unhook the servos and freely the wheels turn about the same. any tips or tricks i need to know about? could it be the radio? thanks for any help

Radio end points and trim is probably off.

What's your radio? If it was used, the previous owner probably has the trims set to something other than 0 and more than likely doesn't have the left/right EPA's set the same. That is, if it's a radio that has those settings.

its a jr racing xr2i I'm pretty sure its stock for the kit. but i checked all the trims and set them to zero but i kinda reset everything with the car on and the servo arms not connected and re aligned them and it seems to be a little better. thanks for the response

Well, that radio has trims and EPA. EPA's are nice as they let you set how far left and how far right really goes. Use them to make the linkage almost go to full lock in both directions, then use the trim to adjust your center if needed.

If you have your trims set at 0 and then adjust your linkage so everything is eyeballed to center, then you can adjust your trims when running it to get center to track correctly, but usually you can adjust EPA's when it's on your bench. Just make sure to not set the EPA to having the servo pushing the linkage so far in either direction that it his reaching it's mechanical lock, or you will be putting excess stress on the servo(s) and draining your receiver pack faster than necessary. With digital servos, they will actually fry themselves if you have the EPA's setup to go too far.

Found it in your manual, page 11. Well, really page 18 of the PDF:
http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Files/jrp234227-manual.pdf
I had the older JR XR2 many years ago when I got my first RC. Losi seems to have a tendency to include decent electronics in their RTR's.

Last edited:
that was a great link thanks for the help that sounds like its my problem when i get home today ill try to just reset it because my friend owned it before and knew nothing about rc's so i bet its all outa whack.

Anytime you get a new radio, you have to adjust the EPA's and trims to suit the vehicle. If need be, reset yours, then align everything the best you can with the radio at 0, then tweak the settings once you eyeball the linkage.

olds thanks for the help i went home and reset the setting and it works perfect now. he had the setting all f'ed up.

Back