Some NB4 questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Just picked up an NB4 TX/RX kit. Initial review is I love it. Spent some time going through the menus and it’s very intuitive. It looks great. Feels great in my hand although I think I’m going to switch to the bigger back strap.

I put it on charge last night and the base charged fully but not the battery in the handle. Today I’ve messed around a bit trying to get the handle to charge but it only seems to charge for 30sec or so then it stops.

I’ve tried pressing the button on the base, it lights up but nothing happens to the handle.

Tried removing and re-installing the base and was able to get the handle to start charging but only for a short time.

Handle battery is at about 50%.

What am I missing? The manual isn’t very helpful at all. I’m sure it’s something simple that I’m missing. Hoping one of you has experience with this and can point me in the right direction.

The main battery (18650) in the handle is supposed to charge when the base/bottom battery is turned on. At least that’s how both of mine work.. Could be a bad battery in the handle, if so they’re pretty easy to change.

I hope it’s not a bad battery. It’s brand new! Haha. I’m still struggling to get it charged, searching for a reason led me to trying to do a firmware update. I have downloaded the Flysky software and the update, but when I plug the Tx into my computer with the usb cable the computer make the typical sound and the pops up with “this usb device is not recognized”

Gonna try it on my MacBook and see if that works.

I’ll admit my windows computer is a $99 refurbished unit I originally bought just to run the Castle software. It’s always worked fine for that but it’s not fast 😂

Something ain’t quite right with your nb4. Where did you buy it? Maybe you can warranty it..?

Sounds like the connection between the base and the handle aren’t making proper contact… 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I've never looked at the charge status of both batteries but I know of many racers who only charge their NB4 once a month and will get 4 full race days on a single charge.

Just a guess, but maybe they want to keep the grip battery in storage mode and put all the stress on the base battery?

I would disconnect the base and verify the grip battery gets charged so if you need to run for a stupid amount of time then you can connect a fully charged base after the grip has been discharged.

I see many racers run sans base and have no issues with the grip pack too.

I agree with @bill_delong , my batteries last forever! However my main concern would be not being able to update the firmware. If the base isn’t communicating with the main system, that’s more of a problem than just not charging the battery..

Not to hijack this thread but why does the NB4 have 2 separate batteries?
Extra battery backup?
The base battery I think it can work as a power bank as it charges the main one in the grip and it has a usb port on it, most likely for firmware updates and you can charge your phone when your on the track. No clue, but seems innovative and cool.

Thanks guys. I think the firmware update did the trick. The software is pretty weak for both Mac and PC. Was able to get success with the PC.

After a reboot I gave it another try and then it recognized the TX connected to the usb. I was like 6 updates behind with what it came with out of the box.

The handle seems to be charging now. I’m excited to get to the track! This thing feels great in the hand. I can’t believe this is so far advanced for less than $50 more than my DX5C.

We’ll see how it actually drives but my expectations are that this controller will be in my kit for a long time to come.

If radiolink doesn't fix my issues than I'm thinking about going with the nb4 all the way. Was thinking about futaba, yes it might be a little more reliable, but with the nb4 you get the color and touch screen and a few more settings. Not sure if I want reliable and dated or very modern and lots of settings.
If radiolink doesn't fix my issues
I mean, if you see my threads on the rc8x then I found and fixed the issue, its downgrading, but radiolink customer service doesn't acknowledge our issues, sounds like an AI bot behind the desk instead of an actual person. The radiolink facebook group has been on fire for the last 2 weeks.

Thanks guys. I think the firmware update did the trick. The software is pretty weak for both Mac and PC. Was able to get success with the PC.

After a reboot I gave it another try and then it recognized the TX connected to the usb. I was like 6 updates behind with what it came with out of the box.

The handle seems to be charging now. I’m excited to get to the track! This thing feels great in the hand. I can’t believe this is so far advanced for less than $50 more than my DX5C.

We’ll see how it actually drives but my expectations are that this controller will be in my kit for a long time to come.
Glad you figured it out. 👍

I absolutely love my noble’s!! 🥰

If radiolink doesn't fix my issues than I'm thinking about going with the nb4 all the way. Was thinking about futaba, yes it might be a little more reliable, but with the nb4 you get the color and touch screen and a few more settings. Not sure if I want reliable and dated or very modern and lots of settings.
If this turns out to be a dud or I find some aspect of it that drives me crazy, my next move will be to the best futaba my wallet will allow. I’m gonna hang onto the Spektrum for my bashers and this will be track only. I’m gonna need a second one of the nice little internal antenna receivers. It came with one of those and one like a spektrum 315.

Back