Help deciding on a new transmitter.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I've been using a pair of flysky Gt5's for the last couple years and I'm pretty satisfied with the performance. One of the Gt5s recently developed a steering issue after my wife got it wet. I've tried taking it apart and cleaning it with contact cleaner to no avail. It glitches severely when turning to the right. I bound a different transmitter to verify it is in the TX itself. So I'm in need of another TX.

Id like to try a little bit better quality tx this time around. Id like to stay in the $300 range if possible. I need one capable of being bound to multiple rx's which most seem capable of. I see 2 stand out options, the flysky noble nb4 and the radiolink 8ch. I forget the series ATM. Both are sub $300 and have good feedback. I like the idea of the noble4 as I think I can continue using the rx's thati already have installed although not absolutely necessary. The radiolink seems like a nicer TX but I don't have experience with either. I was hoping someone that has used either of these could chime in.

One question I had about the nb4. I run several trx 4's with light kits, 2spd trans, and selectable diff locks. Is 4ch enough?

Any other good options to consider? All input is welcome.

I currently race with the NB4 and have been extremely happy with the results it gives me on the track/podium.

I do have past experience with the Radiolink RC4G but not with the newer RC8X which has been getting rave reviews. My only ding on the RC8X is that it doesn't offer antenna-less Rx's which has become industry standard for the current generation of radio systems so they need to start offering this feature if they want to gain my business.

If you need more than 4Ch and don't mind having oversized Rx's and antennas from Radiolink then I'm sure that system will be great for you.

Because I race, space in the radio tray is a premium for me so Radiolink wouldn't be a good option in my case.

I do have past experience with the Radiolink RC4G but not with the newer RC8X which has been getting rave reviews. My only ding on the RC8X is that it doesn't offer antenna-less Rx's which has become industry standard for the current generation of radio systems so they need to start offering this feature if they want to gain my business.

If you need more than 4Ch and don't mind having oversized Rx's and antennas from Radiolink then I'm sure that system will be great for you.
100% Agreed. I like my 4GS for my bashers and when I am outside. I like my RC8X for racing (majority of it, is indoors)

Since OP mentioned getting the radio wet, I used my 4GS in the rain before with no issues. But after a few minutes I wipe it all off with my shirt or hoodie. And the rain I'm mostly in is just a light drizzle.

The R6GF receivers are perfect for 1/10 race and most 1/10 and 1/8 chassis. I use the R6FG in my 1/10 bashers, and 1/10 racer. (With the racer, I wrap the antenna around my finger, and tape it to the receiver case.
The R8GF (With RC8X) or R7FG (6GS) are more channels, telemetry, and dual long antennas. Mostly used for bigger cars, and for speed runners or FPV..
The R4FGM is perfect for smaller / mini cars like my Mini B.
For bashers, speed, and FPV, radiolink is pretty good. Pretty good for racing too, but you can't use the R8FG (V2.1 or newer) receivers for higher servo speed, ect.
Just sticking with my RC8X and R6FG receivers for my 1/10 racers until they come out with a mini antenna less one, or move to the NB4, or something from Futaba/Sanwa.
The RC4GS is perfect for bashers. Same for the RC6GS but more ideal for crawlers, and people who want to use telemetry.

I guess my biggest concern is the amount of channels. If it were the Noble NB6, I probably would have bough it already. I really like having all my cars on one transmitter. I only have 3 minis that still use separate tx's. The other dozen or so are on both the FSGT5's .

Do any of you run crawlers similar to the trx4's? I know I can run both diff lock servos off of one channel which I'm ok (not happy) with. Another channel need for shift servo. How do you guys control lights? Just set them up always on? a switch? If I could get past this, then I'd likely order the NB4 today. I just like being able to turn lights on and off from the tx.

If the lights is a 3 wire with the white signal wire yea you should be able to turn them on and off. You just need to set a button or switch on the radio to do that function. It it is 2 wire, if it is just getting power so they will stay on all the time.
Idk too much about LEDs and how you use them, but I know Traxxas has a little led module thing and that controls the lights. I'm not sure.

Overall, the light control isn't a deal breaker, just my A.D.D. manchild coming out. Glad I could make somebody laugh though.

If the lights is a 3 wire with the white signal wire yea you should be able to turn them on and off. You just need to set a button or switch on the radio to do that function. It it is 2 wire, if it is just getting power so they will stay on all the time.
Idk too much about LEDs and how you use them, but I know Traxxas has a little led module thing and that controls the lights. I'm not sure.
Apex rc and hey ok make a circuit that plugs in. Anything plugged into it is on or off via the radio. That's how to hook up your 2 wire light sets.

I guess my biggest concern is the amount of channels. If it were the Noble NB6, I probably would have bough it already. I really like having all my cars on one transmitter. I only have 3 minis that still use separate tx's. The other dozen or so are on both the FSGT5's .
The noble can support at least 8ch you just need a different rx. I love my nb4 so much I bought a second.

Seems better to ruin a 70$ transmitter than a 300+$ transmitter.

I gotta stop reading "what to get" threads... 🤣 :p

The one thing that stops me from putting the FlySky Noble on my wish list is the screen and trying to see it in direct sunlight. Is it really that bad?

I gotta stop reading "what to get" threads... 🤣 :p

The one thing that stops me from putting the FlySky Noble on my wish list is the screen and trying to see it in direct sunlight. Is it really that bad?

Not much different than any other brand of touch screen that I've seen locally, I admit that it's useless in direct sunlight, but I can see the screen perfectly fine standing in the shade of the driver stand or hunched over to create shade putting my back to the sun. Those who are complaining about visibility are just being lazy and uncompromising.

I decided on the NB4 and will pick it up sometime today from my LHS. Thank you to everyone who chimed in.

The display being difficult to see outdoors is one of the few negatives I saw mentioned in multiple reviews. There don't seem to be many screens that do fare well against direct sunlight. Being of the ginger variety, I don't do well in direct sunlight either so it's a non issue for me. I'm usually under shade from trees or a small pop up.

Seems better to ruin a 70$ transmitter than a 300+$ transmitter.
The GT5 getting damaged was a one off thing. My wife let one of my nephews (6yr old) drive her crawler and he spilled some water on it. Outside of that, we're pretty carefull with the tx's. I've since gave the nephew his own truck on a Dumbo TX so at least replacement is cheap.

A couple of months in, please let us know what your thoughts are. I was also thinking of moving to the NB4 for all of my cars but I just can't pull the trigger because I love my GT5 and its built in 6 channels. Some of AA lipo's and I am set.

I’ll say this.. the nb4 just feels good, it’s weight and the materials are superb! Every other Tx that I’ve held in my hands just felt like a cheap plastic toy… Futaba and the other race Tx that escapes me atm included, but the nb4 feels like a proper tool imo. 👌

If you feel like fixing your GT5, you can order the steering potentiometer with surrounding doodad assembly for a few bucks straight from FlySky.

If you feel like fixing your GT5, you can order the steering potentiometer with surrounding doodad assembly for a few bucks straight from FlySky.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. A friend gave me his damaged GT5 for parts. He crashed into it and broke the portion of the wheel that holds the spring internally. I think I can swap his pot into mine but knowing I can get parts for them, I may fix both.
I’ll say this.. the nb4 just feels good, it’s weight and the materials are superb! Every other Tx that I’ve held in my hands just felt like a cheap plastic toy… Futaba and the other race Tx that escapes me atm included, but the nb4 feels like a proper tool imo. 👌
I agree with this 100%. While I haven't paired it to anything yet, it feels great in my hand. The weight of it surprised me. Makes all the other tx's I've used seem toy like.

Last edited:
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. A friend gave me his damaged GT5 for parts. He crashed into it and broke the portion of the wheel that holds the spring internally. I think I can swap his pot into mine but knowing I can get parts for them, I may fix both.

I agree with this 100%. While I haven't paired it to anything yet, it feels great in my hand. The weight of it surprised me. Makes all the other tx's I've used seem toy like.
If it (Noble NB4) feels better than my old faithful Futaba 3PM (FASST), then I'm sold. I may have make a trip to LCRC... I'm sure someone there will have one I can barrow for a few seconds. I won't part with the 3PM though... 17 years through dust & dirt has me spoiled :p :cool:.