New Radio Time. Mid Range Radios. RadioLink RC8X, Futaba T4PM, Sanwa M17, FlySky NB4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are very close in position with other racers often in nose to tail battles, I can assure you that going with a radio that offers a faster frame rate will make you ever so slightly faster to where you may start to consistently finish ahead of those same drivers. It won't be earth shattering, but just enough added precision to make the car easier to drive and increase your "Top 5 Average" performance if that makes sense.

In no way am I excluding the RC8X either, I just want to make sure you understand what frame rate they offer so you can make an educated decision on which radio is the best for your needs.

While the R4GFM has an antenna (ding for me) it's a very small footprint about the same size as the Rx for the NB4:

1685987096559.png

great feeback, 4ms hits the sweet spot for the newer Rx's, I recommend switching back to a slower Rx after maybe 6 months so you can see what I mean about how it will feel "notchy" with less precision.

Only ding for me at this point is having to mess with the antenna, not sure I would go back after being spoiled with antenaless Rx's, but if RadioLink starts making antenless Rx's then I will give them some serious consideration ;)

Only ding for me at this point is having to mess with the antenna, not sure I would go back after being spoiled with antenaless Rx's, but if RadioLink starts making antenless Rx's then I will give them some serious consideration ;)
What I do with mine, is I wrap the antenna up and tape it to the receiver. Doesn't really affect any range since I am at a small - medium carpet track.

With the receiver thing.
I have 3 R6FG receivers.
2 are R6FG V4 receivers that came with my RC4GS V3.
1 is R6FG V5 receiver that I got off of Amazon's RadioLink store

Can I get a link to that PPM monitor? That would help me out. Maybe I should test my current Rxs/Tx.

Went to the local hardware store. I got some Gorilla Super glue. That should be better than the medium CA glue I used last time. This should keep my RC4GS running until I get a new radio.

Razor RC just posted a new video. So the new R8FG (V2.1) receivers can do the higher frame rates.

I do agree with him that in the future, hopefully they make antenna-less Rx's or a smaller receiver with 1 or shorter antenna.

Alrighty, coming back to this, one local racer at the track (and rc friend) has gotten the RC8X in a couple days ago. I am going to text him to see if he is coming for racing on Thursday and ill see if he can let me feel the radio and drive his car with the new radio to see how I like it, and how his car feels, and how it is between the radio and the car. Looking at the RC8X package on amazon / aliexpress, it comes with the R8FG V2.0 receivers. Razor RC says the new V2.1 receivers can do down to 3ms but I will need to enable the FHHS V2 protocol in the radio, which is fine. Receiver looks big, bulky, and with those dual antennas, not sure if the receiver can fit on my Mini B or B74. Hoping that we can get a micro receiver, or antenna-less receiver from Radiolink in the next couple months with the FHHS V2 protocol so we can run these receivers in our cars and run down to 3ms. The RC8X will be the best option for me as it is in my budget, and has all the features, and feels like a higher quality radio that is like 700 dollars. But for half the price, and I already got receivers for it. (R6FG V4/V5)

With this, I might even talk to the other locals and see what they run. I know one runs a 4PM. A couple others are running a 7PXR and M17s. The Owner that I see on Saturdays when I am there, he uses a NB4. Just feel around with different radios. Might even take their cars out for a spin and learn the cars, feel how my car should be setup like.

I just figured out that RadioLink has a "trade in program"

You can take a picture of the bar code in your battery tray in your radio. Email it to them. They will verify it, and will send you a new RC8X.
Since I have a RC4GS V3, it will be 219 bucks. And I save 80. Pretty good and seems like a very good deal. And they say I can still keep my radio and still use it?

https://www.radiolink.com/newsinfo/...mHLIijii-Ob2h2s3ddF-vWk4_DREaYt_X9G5ghiyduXuU

If this is all true, this would be awesome.
Nice. It looks like I can save $60 as I have 2 of the RC6 radios. One of them is still NIB because the first one was warrantied for the trigger spring not returning the throttle to the dead center neutral consistently.

New Radio Time

Upgrading from a RadioLink RC4GS V3. Pros: All the features I need, some settings/features I don't even use. Cons: The feel of it, the plastics are brittle. I had broken the trigger and the battery door. And the AAs do not say in place so if one pops out, there goes my car and there's a DNF in a qual or main.

Been looking at
1. RadioLink RC8X
2. Futaba T4PM / T4PM Plus
3. Sanwa M17 (way out of my price range)
4. FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro

Lets start out with the RadioLink RC8X. It is $330 USD. Comes with 2 receivers, a lipo (2s, 1700mah, JST plug) and a carrying bag. Some do come with a lanyard and telemetry voltage cable for battery / receiver. 4.3 inch full color screen and touch screen. 8 channels. This is kinda comparable to the Futaba 7PX/R in a way with the looks, screen, ect. The thing that I don't know is that if it has any wheel or trigger tensions. Also, a plus to this radio is that you can add a range extender (sold by radiolink direly), has a SD card input, and can do FPV live feed or whatever of that nature. It would be cool if I can do a camera on the car and do the live feed through my radio. Looks like that the plastics are nice and feel nice.

Next, Futaba T4PM or 4PM plus. Anywhere from $240 and $340 USD depending what receiver you are choosing. LCD backlit screen. Basic layout. Possibly one of the best mid range radios that people say?

Sanwa M17: First off, way out of my price range. it has a color screen, not sure if its touch screen? Probably has most of the regular settings of a high range radio.

FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro: The nice thing is that it is a simple layout. The wheel can rotate sides from right, to center and left. I was watching Razor RC's review on the NB4. Looks like the battery is in the handle or grip of the radio, and the base is another battery or power bank that you can charge the radio with or your phone with. That is nice. But I don't need it. I also seen that he had some setting issues with it. This review was from a year ago so maybe the first batches of the radio and maybe they had fixed it by now?

IMO, I am wanting to go with the RadioLink RC8X because I feel like you get more for your money in the mid range radio category. What do you think? I also want to lean towards the Futaba/Sanwa/FlySky since that is what the local racers use at my track so for example I could get more support with the radio if needed or if I need a extra receiver for a short while.

I have no idea why I added the Sanwa on the list. The M17 is more of a high end radio instead of a mid range radio. Maybe I added it because I like the looks of it? I got no idea.
I'm ordering the RC8X so that would be my vote. Also for $330 it should come with everything mentioned as well as a FPV camera.
New Radio Time

Upgrading from a RadioLink RC4GS V3. Pros: All the features I need, some settings/features I don't even use. Cons: The feel of it, the plastics are brittle. I had broken the trigger and the battery door. And the AAs do not say in place so if one pops out, there goes my car and there's a DNF in a qual or main.

Been looking at
1. RadioLink RC8X
4. FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro

Lets start out with the RadioLink RC8X. It is $330 USD. Comes with 2 receivers, a lipo (2s, 1700mah, JST plug) and a carrying bag. Some do come with a lanyard and telemetry voltage cable for battery / receiver. 4.3 inch full color screen and touch screen. 8 channels. This is kinda comparable to the Futaba 7PX/R in a way with the looks, screen, ect. The thing that I don't know is that if it has any wheel or trigger tensions. Also, a plus to this radio is that you can add a range extender (sold by radiolink direly), has a SD card input, and can do FPV live feed or whatever of that nature. It would be cool if I can do a camera on the car and do the live feed through my radio. Looks like that the plastics are nice and feel nice.

Next, Futaba T4PM or 4PM plus. Anywhere from $240 and $340 USD depending what receiver you are choosing. LCD backlit screen. Basic layout. Possibly one of the best mid range radios that people say?

Sanwa M17: First off, way out of my price range. it has a color screen, not sure if its touch screen? Probably has most of the regular settings of a high range radio.

FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro: The nice thing is that it is a simple layout. The wheel can rotate sides from right, to center and left. I was watching Razor RC's review on the NB4. Looks like the battery is in the handle or grip of the radio, and the base is another battery or power bank that you can charge the radio with or your phone with. That is nice. But I don't need it. I also seen that he had some setting issues with it. This review was from a year ago so maybe the first batches of the radio and maybe they had fixed it by now?

IMO, I am wanting to go with the RadioLink RC8X because I feel like you get more for your money in the mid range radio category. What do you think? I also want to lean towards the Futaba/Sanwa/FlySky since that is what the local racers use at my track so for example I could get more support with the radio if needed or if I need a extra receiver for a short while.

I have no idea why I added the Sanwa on the list. The M17 is more of a high end radio instead of a mid range radio. Maybe I added it because I like the looks of it? I got no idea.
I'm ordering a RC8X so that's my vote. Also for $330 it should come with a FPV camera as well as everything you mentioned. Something else to know is if you snap a pic of the UPC code under the battery tray of your rc4 and email to radiolink they will send you a link to purchase the RC8X at about $100 I don't think the kit includes the $20 battery but it's also $220 this way. So add 2 batteries and it's still a very reasonable price.

I got mine for 255 for prime day. Keeping my rc4 as a backup.
Recently I am having problems where the receiver would either cut out, and or turn / steer the servo in the opposite direction. I have all gyro functions disabled. My friend that uses radiolink stuff told me its the gyro receivers, so time for all new receivers, getting the ones with out a gyro.

Anyone has any other feedback for this? I'm just starting with 1:10 SCT racing and as is now I have the stock Traxxas radio that came out about 10 yrs ago....I'm upgrading motor/esc and others and need a good radio that I can use for outdoor racing with my slash 4x4 and future 1:8 and mini-z so been following this thread. Since the NB4 has an issue outside with screen that will put it out of question for me, so the RC8X or the 4PM plus will be my options....Will try to get a feel of them at the track if anyone has those...

NB4 is a great radio hands down, the locals at my track use it in their mini z 's and other cars. I think FlySky has a receiver meant for mini z so that's probably why people use them. I also know futaba with the 4PM plus as a mini z thing too. With RadioLink for a mini z , I'd just use the smallest receiver they have which is the R4FGM.
Any radio can work honestly. It's just what your looking for, budget, feel, user friendly, ect.
I have the RC8X. I use for all my cars, which is a slash 2wd, rustler 2wd, Mini B, and AE wheeler.
I like the higher quality feel, as I was coming from RTR radios like the trash Traxxas ones, and my cheaper 4GS from RadioLink. User friendly too me (as a tech savvy kid) with a touch and color screen. Every possible setting you will need. And some you wont even use, like why would I use a tank mixing mode if I don't have a tank? Yep that's how many settings are on there. Lately I been having a problem where the receiver would cut out and sometimes my.steering would go wonky. I disabled all my gyro settings so hopefully that fixes it next time I'm at the track. But other than that I love it.
I used my uncle's Futaba 7PX, another buddies 7PX/R, and other racers NB4, 4PM, and 10PX. I liked the NB4 and the 10PX the best (feeling and how they had their radios setup)

The NB4 is the cheapest, than the 4PM, and then the RC8X on the most pricy.
4PM is the most outdated on the list. As it was originally the 4PLS and 4PX before that. My uncle had a 4PLS before he got his 7PX. I only went with the RC8X as I already had RadioLink receivers from my 4GS, and the things that were included with it, like it comes with 2 receivers, soft cases carrying bag, lipo, USB c cable, 8 AAA tray, telemetry cable. I feel like it's the best bang for your buck kind of radio, because other radios don't come with batteries or a case or stuff like that.

Don't forget we also have Sanwa, which I seen most guys with Sanwa use the M17 their highest end radio like the 7PXR and 10PX from futaba.
I was in a thread over the weekend talking about Spektrum radios, I highly don't recommend them. One of my buddies had a DX5C before getting his 4PM from Futaba. The futaba is so much better than that poopy DX5C, (and other spektrum radios)

Now since receivers for multiple cars, I think RadioLink is the cheapest. FlySky in the middle and than Futaba / Sanwa receivers being the most expensive.

New Radio Time

Been looking at
1. RadioLink RC8X
4. FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro

RC8X u know u want it haha..doesn’t have that “feel “ either. I know exactly what ur talking about,
I broke an RC6GS dropping it they replaced it tho for shipping and 10$ fee so I bit, I am the 1 that dropped it btw lol and didn’t use their “free included lanyard “ which they kept repeating 🤣🤣🤣…so I stuck my foot back in mouth and moved on. The rc8 is a flagship radio, it’s really going to separate boys from men from just I guess wannabes…the RC6GS like the rc4gs has great features and 1’s not used, love the abs, for speed runners especially, love the fast idle/throttle up/throttle lock for nitro starting etc. for their price it’s just not really complicated or comparable at all, really it’s not fair to the rest
Anyone has any other feedback for this? I'm just starting with 1:10 SCT racing and as is now I have the stock Traxxas radio that came out about 10 yrs ago....I'm upgrading motor/esc and others and need a good radio that I can use for outdoor racing with my slash 4x4 and future 1:8 and mini-z so been following this thread. Since the NB4 has an issue outside with screen that will put it out of question for me, so the RC8X or the 4PM plus will be my options....Will try to get a feel of them at the track if anyone has those...
The rc8 is going to probably be way too much, if ur using something that has 4wheel steering. Running fpv, etc then maybe..2-3-4 even 5ch rc4/6gs is all u will ever need, now “want” haha that’s definitely different, I have the RC6GS and the rc8x as well…I had to disable the voice control stuff it’s annoying. Can’t wait to run fpv tho and integrate some mixing on my trx4
RC8X u know u want it haha..doesn’t have that “feel “ either. I know exactly what ur talking about,
I broke an RC6GS dropping it they replaced it tho for shipping and 10$ fee so I bit, I am the 1 that dropped it btw lol and didn’t use their “free included lanyard “ which they kept repeating 🤣🤣🤣…so I stuck my foot back in mouth and moved on. The rc8 is a flagship radio, it’s really going to separate boys from men from just I guess wannabes…the RC6GS like the rc4gs has great features and 1’s not used, love the abs, for speed runners especially, love the fast idle/throttle up/throttle lock for nitro starting etc. for their price it’s just not really complicated or comparable at all, really it’s not fair to the rest

The rc8 is going to probably be way too much, if ur using something that has 4wheel steering. Running fpv, etc then maybe..2-3-4 even 5ch rc4/6gs is all u will ever need, now “want” haha that’s definitely different, I have the RC6GS and the rc8x as well…I had to disable the voice control stuff it’s annoying. Can’t wait to run fpv tho and integrate some mixing on my trx4

What is crazy is the “range extenders” I have confirmed runs of excess of 3800’ on my vendetta using a skyrc gnss..not even a hint of interference or lag at that distance i can’t see it for awhile now. So extending what exactly is what I'm asking them unless its fpv ..my Walmart is exactly 1.4m from my house, I can almost make it halfway without haha
I had been going more towards with the RC8X. Full color screen and touch screen. (Looks bright too) And it will hook up to the receivers I already have from them. It also includes more with 2 extra receivers, carrying bag and a lipo for it. But I might wait a little while since it is fairly new and not lots of reviews about it yet. Now, the only thing that I am worried about is in the long run. Will it be able to last me for a few years, maybe even more?

Those receivers included should be V2’s which are supposed to handle that “lag/delay/latency”…I don’t race, been 20 years since I did it sponsored etc, I can’t tell the difference except when I’m running a heavy monster truck not running a Savox servo, otherwise only a true hardcore racer is going to understand and pick up that delay, or someone who owns a futaba/sanwa hi $ set

Last edited:
I went with the 8X as I already had radiolink receivers beforehand, the feel is good for me out of the box. Touch and color screen, and it already came with a carry bag, lipo and extras that other radios would be more expensive and sold separately.
Well, I guess it is what you pay for. My uncle keeps telling me you should had went with the futaba when I got rid of my RTR radios.

I went with the 8X as I already had radiolink receivers beforehand, the feel is good for me out of the box. Touch and color screen, and it already came with a carry bag, lipo and extras that other radios would be more expensive and sold separately.
Well, I guess it is what you pay for. My uncle keeps telling me you should had went with the futaba when I got rid of my RTR radios.
The radiolink is par with Futaba at worst in my opinion other than the actual feel of it, the latency and whatever creature comforts the huge price gap would consider to be worth asking for the $ to begin with lol. I don’t have a complaint getting a 70$ discount from their rep, the lips,bag etc…250$ out door I paid and it feels like it should have cost double

I love my Sanwa MT-S radio that is said to be mid-level class. I think I picked it up for $119 without receivers. The MT-R, that replaces the MT-S, price jump was a shocker to me. The MT-R is/was $299 at most places, and that puts it just out of my range that I'd be willing to spend for any radio. But if a person is a smart shopper, they can be had for about $230 (shipped) which is more reasonable. The only down side, for me, it doesn't come with a receiver with built in antenna.