New Radio Time. Mid Range Radios. RadioLink RC8X, Futaba T4PM, Sanwa M17, FlySky NB4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
New Radio Time

Upgrading from a RadioLink RC4GS V3. Pros: All the features I need, some settings/features I don't even use. Cons: The feel of it, the plastics are brittle. I had broken the trigger and the battery door. And the AAs do not say in place so if one pops out, there goes my car and there's a DNF in a qual or main.

Been looking at
1. RadioLink RC8X
2. Futaba T4PM / T4PM Plus
3. Sanwa M17 (way out of my price range)
4. FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro

Lets start out with the RadioLink RC8X. It is $330 USD. Comes with 2 receivers, a lipo (2s, 1700mah, JST plug) and a carrying bag. Some do come with a lanyard and telemetry voltage cable for battery / receiver. 4.3 inch full color screen and touch screen. 8 channels. This is kinda comparable to the Futaba 7PX/R in a way with the looks, screen, ect. The thing that I don't know is that if it has any wheel or trigger tensions. Also, a plus to this radio is that you can add a range extender (sold by radiolink direly), has a SD card input, and can do FPV live feed or whatever of that nature. It would be cool if I can do a camera on the car and do the live feed through my radio. Looks like that the plastics are nice and feel nice.

Next, Futaba T4PM or 4PM plus. Anywhere from $240 and $340 USD depending what receiver you are choosing. LCD backlit screen. Basic layout. Possibly one of the best mid range radios that people say?

Sanwa M17: First off, way out of my price range. it has a color screen, not sure if its touch screen? Probably has most of the regular settings of a high range radio.

FlySky NB4 / NB4 Pro: The nice thing is that it is a simple layout. The wheel can rotate sides from right, to center and left. I was watching Razor RC's review on the NB4. Looks like the battery is in the handle or grip of the radio, and the base is another battery or power bank that you can charge the radio with or your phone with. That is nice. But I don't need it. I also seen that he had some setting issues with it. This review was from a year ago so maybe the first batches of the radio and maybe they had fixed it by now?

IMO, I am wanting to go with the RadioLink RC8X because I feel like you get more for your money in the mid range radio category. What do you think? I also want to lean towards the Futaba/Sanwa/FlySky since that is what the local racers use at my track so for example I could get more support with the radio if needed or if I need a extra receiver for a short while.

I have no idea why I added the Sanwa on the list. The M17 is more of a high end radio instead of a mid range radio. Maybe I added it because I like the looks of it? I got no idea.

I have learned by others that own the NB4, that you can copy the receivers onto a computer and save it. Then if you have to replace the controller you can replace the file on your new controller and you are back up and having fun.
The is important to me with lots of vehicles paired to one controller. I don't want to do that again.

Sanwa has 4 different Mid Range radios that you can look at. MT-5 and MT-R being the newest but they also have the MT-44 and the MT-S. I really love my Sanwa and I liked the Futaba 4PL I used to own. Personally I dont think you can go wrong with either brand. can't speak to the NB4 but I love my GT3b so the NB4 probably isnt a bad choice either

I currently race with the NB4

2 most important features are touchscreen and antennaless Rx's

It's a very compact design making it easy to store, especially with the rotating steering wheel so it lays flat and can pack easier with all my gear making one less trip between my truck and the pit room.

Only drawback is the screen is not visible in direct sunlight, I have to hunch over to create shade to see the screen, not a deal breaker for me but have seen others make this a deal breaker for them.

The lastest firmware has addressed the issue with steering speed settings by increasing precision increments from 0.1ms to 0.01ms

The majority of pro level drivers in my area run the NB4 proving that it's a stable system that is more than capable for the price.

Only drawback is the screen is not visible in direct sunlight, I have to hunch over to create shade to see the screen, not a deal breaker for me but have seen others make this a deal breaker for them.
Yea I did see that in a review. Might be for me since this new radio will be my main radio and will be used for bashing outside too. With racing indoors, i shouldn't have any problems.
I liked the Futaba 4PL I used to own
My uncle used to have a 4PLS. Before getting his $700 7PX. He won the 7PX in a waffle. He only paid 40 bucks for 4 tickets for a $700 radio. Insane.

Yea I did see that in a review. Might be for me since this new radio will be my main radio and will be used for bashing outside too. With racing indoors, i shouldn't have any problems.

My uncle used to have a 4PLS. Before getting his $700 7PX. He won the 7PX in a waffle. He only paid 40 bucks for 4 tickets for a $700 radio. Insane.

Normally I race at a covered track but recently raced at an outdoor track where I experienced the sunlight issue, yeah it kinda sucked having to hunch over, but really wasn't a big deal for me, but certainly worth mentioning for anyone wanting to weigh their options ;)

I had been going more towards with the RC8X. Full color screen and touch screen. (Looks bright too) And it will hook up to the receivers I already have from them. It also includes more with 2 extra receivers, carrying bag and a lipo for it. But I might wait a little while since it is fairly new and not lots of reviews about it yet. Now, the only thing that I am worried about is in the long run. Will it be able to last me for a few years, maybe even more?

Only concern I would have with RadioLink is having slower frame rates. I never had any issues hitting 99% consistency with my RC4G system, but it was after I went to higher quality systems from KO Propo, HiTEC, Sanwa and Radiopost that when I went back to RadioLink was when I felt the difference in slower frame rates which made it feel "notchy" with less precision. It's very subtle, but once you get spoiled with a faster frame rate it's really hard to go back. Since the RC8X is backwards compatible I feel certain their frame rates haven't improved.

If you want to measure the frame rates for yourself you can get a PPM monitor and plug it into CH1 port of the Rx to get your readings and see for yourself.

I've posted some frame rates of radios I tested myself under the "Notes" column here where anything under 5ms is what I feel is acceptable for racing:
https://bdrca.blogspot.com/2020/03/which-surface-radio-is-best.html

I will try to get some readings on the NB4 after I find my PPM monitor, not sure where I packed it after a recent move, ha!

all 4 radios are great Id get each radio in your hands. I bounced around a few different radios till I like the way one was in my hands
I now race with a nb4 pro .also a futaba 4px

I can respond about the Flysky NB4. I purchased about a month ago, and do have some regrets. It works great, no doubt, but there are some huge down sides, IMO. It is comfortable, easy enough to use, and responsive, but the screen is horrible, as it is unusable outside. Since you can’t see the screen in even minimal sunlight, to make any changes I have to walk to my truck, make the changes, and walk back. The second issue is battery life. Maybe it is just mine, but I have to charge it almost every outing. Maybe two outings if I am not out very long. The RadioLink looks impressive, but testing shows slow response.

Well, that kind of knocks out the NB4 for me. I will be using the same radio as my main radio and will be racing with it indoors. and bashing with it outdoors.

I just found this thread on RCTech. Razor RC says that they might be having a firmware update for the RC8X and improving speeds and or rates.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1104584-radiolink-rc8x.html

Well, that kind of knocks out the NB4 for me. I will be using the same radio as my main radio and will be racing with it indoors. and bashing with it outdoors.

I just found this thread on RCTech. Razor RC says that they might be having a firmware update for the RC8X and improving speeds and or rates.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1104584-radiolink-rc8x.html
Thanks for the link. Razer RC does some of the better transmitter reviews, so interested to see how his testing goes since he is getting a new receiver today. If it does well, I may return my NB4 and pick up the RC8X. I think I can still return my NB4 since I got it from a Walmart pro seller and shipped by Walmart, but not so sure about the 2 extra receivers :(. I m interested to see if others have the same battery life as I do for the NB4, or if most people just charge every time they go out.

I just found my PPM monitor and measured 2.6ms for the frame rate which puts the NB4 right up there with high end brands, I've updated my blog post above with the rated specs.

Here's the PPM tool I am using to get my info:
1685886275274.png

I then use the following calculator to convert from Hz into ms to get the frame rate:
https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-frequency-from-Hz-to-ms(p).html?val=379

1685886356218.png

I just figured out that RadioLink has a "trade in program"

You can take a picture of the bar code in your battery tray in your radio. Email it to them. They will verify it, and will send you a new RC8X.
Since I have a RC4GS V3, it will be 219 bucks. And I save 80. Pretty good and seems like a very good deal. And they say I can still keep my radio and still use it?

https://www.radiolink.com/newsinfo/...mHLIijii-Ob2h2s3ddF-vWk4_DREaYt_X9G5ghiyduXuU

If this is all true, this would be awesome.

did you ever find out what the frame rate is for the RC8X?

RC4GS --> 18ms
RC6GS --> 12ms
RC8X --> ???

Anything higher than 5ms is not going to be a decent upgrade if you want to be competitive

Note that the frame rates are going to be based on the Rx used, so if you plan to use your older Rx's then just use them for your bashers, and place the newer (presumably faster) Rx's in your race grades;

Compatible ReceiverR8FG(Standard), R7FG, R6FG, R6F, R8EF, R8F, R8FM, R8SM, R8XM, R4F, R4FGM

Last edited:
did you ever find out what the frame rate is for the RC8X?

RC4GS --> 18ms
RC6GS --> 12ms
RC8X --> ???

Anything higher than 5ms is not going to be a decent upgrade if you want to be competitive

Note that the frame rates are going to be based on the Rx used, so if you plan to use your older Rx's then just use them for your bashers, and place the newer (presumably faster) Rx's in your race grades;

Compatible ReceiverR8FG(Standard), R7FG, R6FG, R6F, R8EF, R8F, R8FM, R8SM, R8XM, R4F, R4FGM
I haven't yet. I will go on RCTech to see what they say cause I know Razor RC has a RC8X.

I have 3 RC6FG receivers currently. The only con with the RC8FG receiver it comes with is that it is a big receiver and it has 2 antennas (long). The RC4GM (the micro receiver) will be best in my Mini B.
With the RC8FG, it might fit, it might not fit. There is limited space on the B74.1 chassis.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1104584-radiolink-rc8x-3.html?ispreloading=1

Last edited:
With my uses, I am doing normal 1/10 club-racing, drag racing (for fun on the side thing), and bashing.
I might do some bigger events in my area. But nothing really competitive like ROAR stuff. I believe you need a membership or something for that. I checked the ROAR rules for 1/10 buggy, truck and SCT. Looks like they are pretty simple and easy.