So I got frustrated...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so I got frustrated trying to decide what I should buy for my first heli and ended up saying to hell with it and bought 4 of them. O_O Everyone seems to have a different idea of what the best type of heli is to start with and then when youve decided on a type you'll get 10 different recommend models in that type (been asking questions over on helifreak as well as here). As much as i despise micro because my big arthritic sausage links have a hard time working on them I decided to do something i swore Id never do again after owning a micro -DT...buy a micro. I figure micro is the only thing that really makes sense when you're just learning because I can buy a lot of lipos and just sit on my comfy couch while I'm learning to do the mundane stuff like hover and orientations etc. Once I made the decsion to go micro I still couldnt make up my mind what type of micro to get. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to go with a cheap heli, more expensive quality heli, FB, FBL, Quad...etc etc....I had the list narrowed down to The V911 Pro, Hisky FBL70, a Blade mSR x, and a Blade nano Qx...Got stuck on those 4 for weeks so today I said screw it and bought them all. I'll see which ones I like and get rid of the rest. Maybe I'll even make a video about the experience for my YT channel. I ordered about 24 extra batteries so I should be able to get a lot of flight time in once I get them all. To be completely honest though the Hisky FBL70 I really only got because I wanted to compare it to the mSR x because its been discontinued so if people in the future want to know what a decent micro FBL 4ch is then maybe I can recommend that one, I though about getting the mSR for comparison reasons vs the v911 pro but I had to draw the line somewhere lol. I got all of these as BNF because with the DX6i I picked up from the for sale section and the Flysky TH9X from what I understand all the models are compatible with one of the two TXs.

Now the waiting begins :)

Last edited:
My only problem with the nano QX is that it won't bind to my DX7s. Other than that it's a fun little bird to fly.

Thanks guys!

Its supposed to bind to any Spektrum TX isnt it @hamz9561?

geeeez...I really should proof read my posts before posting them lol

Yeah, well that's what they say, but I couldn't get it to bind and all of the guys at the LHS couldn't get it to bind. I even called Horizon and they sent out a new board for it. I still have my DX6i and it binds to that just fine.

I was torn buying my first heli too. It ended up being the Double Horse 9100, I saw vids and they showed it as being almost unbreakable, and for the price, it sounded perfect to get started. Right off the back I will say the one thing I don't like about it and will stay away from is 3-channel. I got bored quick, and found it hard to level out because it had to rotate first.

So then I got my Blade SR, collective pitch, 4 channel. Well I guess technically it has more than 4-channels, but it does go left and right. I have loved this machine, it is very quick for its size, and you even breathe on the controls and it goes, so it is very responsive and snappy.

Since then, I will never go with a 3-channel, and I would rather collective pitch over fixed pitch. I would also say a belt driven boom on larger models is a must have. I have still been working to convert this one, when they have those little motors you get wags and noise.

Single rotor is better than dual too, I think. The dual rotor will allow for more hovering and slow maneuvering verses the single rotor...

Thats my take on the helis anyway....

Last edited:
Yeah, so far my nano qx has been an awesome starting point with its stability mode but I can't seem to get it to sustain one altitude. I can get it to for a brief time and then it will either start rising or falling even though I havent touched the trottle. Is this normal? I've also not been able to trim it out so that it will hover in one place. i have it pretty close but it requires minute almost constant stick inputs to keep it in one spot. maybe thats just a downside of the micro helis and quads? Any input you guys have on this would be appreciated.

yeah all 4 helis I bought a 4ch fixed pitch. hamz pretty much threatened to beat me with a rubbt hose if I started with anything else :p the 4ch's are enough of a handful starting out...learning with a CP i believe would be really dumb after having played with my nano qx a bit. I havent messed with the other helis much yet. I'm going to mod them all so i can use the pile of lipos I have for all of them before I can get any serious play time in on them :)

Gonna call about my MSRx though...its been like 10 days and I still havent gotten it yet :(

Your hover issue is one I have not faced! My double horse hovers so well I can set the remote down. My Blade SR is the same way, once it gets to a good hover I can let go of the controls. The double horse is fixed pitch, and the BSR is collective pitch. I did notice that I had hover issues with my double horse when I first got it, but after I did my camera mod I relocated the gyro, and also got a li-po battery which added slight weight to the front better balancing the boom, and since I did those things it hovers on its own.

Though, my hover issues did not include descending. For some reason you are losing rpm's in the air. As far as trim, those will always be a little tricky, and balancing your heli is a must. But from what I can tell, that is an interesting issue. I remember watching vids of the MSR and they never had those issues, as it seemed anyway...But I have not gone that small so I don't know!

I made quite the leap going from my double horse to the BSR, and had many crashes in the startup. I found taking it easy is key. I tried just flying around at first and would angle it into the ground every time. So eventually made a hover spot and started there, then rotates, then up and down, then around. Eventually got the hang of it. I will admit though, it is a pain to crash these bigger ones, it always totals them no matter how simple the crash. I have replaced my boom, tail motor and rotor, main rotors and rotor unit several times just this year......

Last edited:
yeah, IDk why but something seems like theres an issue with this quad.

I would be surprised being a blade model, but hey, before I got my double horse I ordered some little cheepo dual rotor heli, and it simply did not work, I lifted it off the desk about 6" and it never worked again. I sent it back, laughed a little, and got the double horse. So I suppose there is certainly a chance. Check your wires, make sure they are not shorting out. If the positive was getting slightly grounded it would have a drag like that, but I would think you would have constant issues verses hover issues....

It could be a battery issue. When the battery gets a bit low, they have trouble holding altitude.

It could be a battery issue. When the battery gets a bit low, they have trouble holding altitude.

I'll pay more more attention next time I play with it but I believe its doing it the whole time. I'll post again once I've confirmed taht though

You might try cycling the LiPo if it's a new one.

yes they are new...I'll try cycling them a couple times :)

I have been all over the net searching for this issue as if it were my own. I cannot find anything, not even related to other helicopters! The only things I can think of, if it is not some factory default in the control board, is like Hamz said, regarding batteries, that could be an option if your batts were no good, but I would still consider it odd. When my heli dies it does descend, but it will still 'hover', only rather at 6" versus 20ft. My other guess was a short somewhere. I know when my tail wires burnt out on my Blade it had much the same issue, although it was super erratic and sometimes at full speed, it would cooperate sometimes but would not work at it's full function. In this case, my tail motor burnt out as soon as I could figure out the issue, so all of this happened pretty fast.

So I would assume if it is a short issue you will see other problems arise to prove it. If there is nothing there, and you know your batts are good for sure, I would certainly wonder about defects. I do not think they would program a control board to automatically descend when not specifically ascending, it should work as a constant when set in one position. If it is by default to act that way, I would find a different bird to fly..

Yeah I can't find any mention of it either...Its really strange...if its not the batteries I'm thinking defect because when it does it (especially when it sinks) I can hear a definite change in the sound of the blades. and also when I'm throttling up for take off soemtimes it will do this thing where 2 blades start spinning right away (or maybe 3) then the 3rd one will start spinning after and the 4th after the 3rd....IDK if thats normal at low throttle speeds but once I give it enough throttle they'll all spin and it will take off.

I found this, he hovers it and lets go of the controls.Does it compare? I noticed it descends a little, but not much...

Yeah I can't find any mention of it either...Its really strange...if its not the batteries I'm thinking defect because when it does it (especially when it sinks) I can hear a definite change in the sound of the blades. and also when I'm throttling up for take off soemtimes it will do this thing where 2 blades start spinning right away (or maybe 3) then the 3rd one will start spinning after and the 4th after the 3rd....IDK if thats normal at low throttle speeds but once I give it enough throttle they'll all spin and it will take off.

I've seen some that do that, but mine don't. The motor pitch change is the AS3X stabilization working.

Its sorta like the video except if i don't increase the throttle it will keep descending.

It would drive me nuts if my helis did that. Check out this video regarding hovering, this video is the sole reason I got the Double Horse as my first heli, he brings it to a hover speed not using controls and slaps it away from him over and over again. It flys like this too, it is no bluff, I lift off and land into my hands and quite often actually try to get it to lose control....This is how it should be : D, although don't get this one unless your going to mod because the radio unit/control unit and 3-channel limit sucks....

Watch again, first in the beginning and then around 5mn 45seconds he sets the remote down! I could (almost) let it run itself dead in a hover...My Blade SR is the same exact way, although I will not lift off or land in my hands LOL, but I can set the remote down when it hovers!!

Last edited:
Back