Scale Crawler build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
It's probably been asked more than once but I figured you guys need to get asked again.

I'm looking a buying/building a new crawler and I need some feed back from people that already have them.

The current one is a 10 year comp crawler that was never competitive, nor did I compete. Just got it because I thought a front/rear 4-link crawler with an RTI of like a million was cool. Now the comp crawlers are a bit strange and remind me more of spiders than vehicles. So I'm think a scale rig.

With the scale rig in mind I have a more than few choices in the 1/10 market.

Axial SCX 10 II
This seems is the oldest and the most modded platform ever. It is very popular. Doesn't come with portal axles for better or worse, but of course there's an mod for that. I'm concerned I would spend a lot of money to make this a good rig. Probably start with the builders kit, throw out the shocks and upgrade the wheels/tires.

Vanquish VS4-10 Ultra
The big daddy is the Vanquish. Basically it's got all the goodies I would want on an Axial SCX 10, but you do pay a price. It's also seems to be mostly compatible with SCX platforms. After $800+ for the rig, I still need to paint it and add my electronics, in the end is it worth the money?

Axial SCX 10 III
The next generation and seems similar to the SCX 10 II, with the engine pushed forward. Also include a 2 speed trans and a dig unit. However, has limited upgrades when compared to the SCX 10 III. However, it's the newest plateform and will probably have a following as it gets more popular.

Traxxas TRX4S Sport
Yah the Land Rover is nice but it's really seems a bit top heavy and I wouldn't feel bad about rolling the sport down the hill. The Traxxas gets good reviews and they have some innovative designs, but the least amount of options. It does come with a two speed trans and locking diffs but also seems a bit platsticy.

Redcat Gen 8
Got a buddy with one. Nice rig and nothing wrong with it except for the giant bumpers, and I feel like there is too much plastic stuff. The AXE is pretty fast on a 3S Lipo too. I'm not seeing too many mods unless you can adapt the SCX parts. In the end it doesn't float my boat, but I could be convince otherwise.

If anybody has some opinions or advice I will gladly take it.

Thanks!

You might consider a complete scratch build. I have and I enjoyed it more than any kit I've built. I just started buying parts piece by piece.
You mentioned you didn't care for the Redcat bumpers but I used them and really like them.
IMG_0721.JPG
Y
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG

I considered that and it would be cool. But what about all the little screws and spacers. How do you figure that out. Is it an M3 x10 or and M3 x15? I dunno.

I'm agreeing with tunedpipe scratch builds are a little more fun but you would more buy an assortment of screws and while building you will see what sizes you need more. I have noticed with scratch builds the body almost had to come first so you know the wheel base is correct. And with the body you also know what size axles you need.

I considered that and it would be cool. But what about all the little screws and spacers. How do you figure that out. Is it an M3 x10 or and M3 x15? I dunno.
You can buy any 1/10 scale screw kit available on ebay or amazon. That's part of the learning process and fun of it is to figure it all out.

I'm agreeing with tunedpipe scratch builds are a little more fun but you would more buy an assortment of screws and while building you will see what sizes you need more. I have noticed with scratch builds the body almost had to come first so you know the wheel base is correct. And with the body you also know what size axles you need.
I agree, the body on this one is a bit off and I should have taken that into consideration but for a crawler, it works. :)

Yes this works. As far as spacers and items like that, again its part of the learning process and making things work. If you notice the yellow spacers on my links, those are a thick walled plastic tube I had laying around the shop I made myself. You can also find any spacer material you can use at a hardware store.
There is nothing chiseled in stone that says you have to use exact parts. Most important thing is to have fun with the build and learn. Don't let it overwhelm you.
Here is another one I build which started out as a Redcat Gen 7 but its far from that now. Basically stripped completely down and new parts built it back up..

100_0945.JPG

J
I mean one of those works but I bought one and found out I used all of the screws that there was almost none of and barely used the rest so I ended up looking for stuff like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/480PCS-M2-...-Head-Cap-Screws-Nut-Kit-Set-USA/124253454806

Back