Savage X Spur Gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjohnson151

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i changed my spur gear because it got rounded down and figured maybe it was a common mistake but i changed it and was very carful putting everything back together and i tried it today and it worked fine for about 2 min and then it started doing the same thing to this spur gear, so now i don't know what to do in order for it to stop doing this.

Did you make sure your gear mesh was fine? To do so, before you tighten down the screws for the engine mount, take a piece of paper and squeeze it between the spur and motor CB. when you tighten the screws down, you should be able to pull the paper out and have a perfect groove, not to light and not too heavy of a groove.

yes i did that. the shaft that the spur gear is attached on is that supposed to move at all like you can kind of push it in and out just a little bit

Mine does that, but very very slightly. I have no idea what the problem is, so you should wait until someone more experienced comes. I would probably think that the slipper is too tight. Whatever you do, don't use steel spur gears. You want your spur gear to be the weakest spot. With steel spur gears, something else in the transmission will be your weak spot, something not easy to access and probably expensive.

Can you post a pic? A clear photo would help to distinguish between too tight or too loose.

Another thing to check for is a cracked/broken engine plate.

Plastic spur gears are a curse. I've seem them last a whole day to 10 minutes on a brand new, out of the box truck before. I use metal spurs with hardened clutch bells and never went back to plastic. Neither one of my Savages has ever broken a tranny either. I'd shop around for a combo set or simply grab 1 of each in metal and make the annoying problem disappear.

metal gears are ok but there is nothing wrong with plastic. I have a gallon on my plastic spur and you can see where the c/b rides but its minimal wear considering its got a gallon of abuse on it. I see it lasting another gallon before i am going to replace it as part of regular maintenance.

Make sure your engine isn't moving. Are you using the stock engine mount?

I know this post is over 2 months old...but you have the wrong spur gear. I went through the same problem. This is the spur you need. I'm pretty sure the one you currently have that keeps stripping is the spur gear for a savage .21. The savage X spur is a little bit different.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJLH5&P=OW

Last edited:
I know this post is over 2 months old...but you have the wrong spur gear. I went through the same problem. This is the spur you need. I'm pretty sure the one you currently have that keeps stripping is the spur gear for a savage .21. The savage X spur is a little bit different.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJLH5&P=OW

The one you posted is for the Savage .25.

The first Savage Xs made had a dual slipper clutch, which was a bad design so HPI ditched it for the old design.

Dual Slipper Design:
228780.jpg

Single Slipper Design:
76937.bmp

Then HPI started giving the Savage X steel spur gears:
72679850.jpg

anyone ever figure out why the spur gear gets ate up on his truck? i just put one in today on my X and did the same thing, but what i did was run it in the grass. is there a problem with running it in the grass? every time my grears do this I'm in the grass when it happens. when i run on the street its not a problem.

There is high resistance when running in grass. It puts a lot of stress on the motor and it leads to the spur melting or getting stripped. If you run a metal spur gear i will transfer down the line. I was super lucky when I was running a metal spur gear that my clutch bell stripped. I'd rather have that strip than something in the tranny of diffs.

when i replace the spur gear is it ok to just take the top of the tranny off? then i wont have to take the engine out. if so do i still need to adjust the mesh? and if i do, how do you do that?:\ i really would like to run my savage more than 10 minutes at a time:angry:

Back