Replaced the Spur Gear, next day some rubbing/grinding sound

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houdini5150

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So I had stripped the screw head holds on my old spur gear on my Rustler running a 3S... I replaced it with a new spur gear. I checked the mesh when putting it back together. I checked the slipper clutch stuff and made sure it was not too tight. Seemed fine. Then last night I noticed a rubbing sound. If I hold the car and turn wheels it sounds ok but once I set back down on the surface and roll it does not sound smooth. I wanted to test this tranny out before I swap the Magnum transmission I bought for the car.

Any ideas?

What comes to mind is too tight of mesh, a damaged pinion, or the clutch plate...... pull the whole clutch assembly off and see if it is digging into the transmission case. I've had a few wear a grove in it.

I didn't see anything like that when I took it off other night. I'll do it again and check the mesh.

Thank you

Did you check your slipper? I tighten them all the way and back them off about a turn or less.

You may have already checked the mesh at multiple points, but if you didn't, try that and make sure it isn't just right in one spot and tight in other spots. May also need to check the internal bearings. If you have the hardened top shaft its probably fine, if you have the regular one I would check it to make sure its not bent at all.

You may have already checked the mesh at multiple points, but if you didn't, try that and make sure it isn't just right in one spot and tight in other spots. May also need to check the internal bearings. If you have the hardened top shaft its probably fine, if you have the regular one I would check it to make sure its not bent at all.
I will have to double check again. But I just may swap out the transmission to the Magnum anyway. Save this as a spare or to modify for the brushed Rustler I have.
upload to youtube and paste the link here. ;)
Oh duhhhh lol

Back