hpi savage pinion gear touching just half of spur gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstnd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello, the easiest way to explain will probably be with a picture:
16733727946222297241411240710078.jpg

The pinion gear is not touching the whole spur gear. I can't move the engine forward, only sideways. Is there maybe a other way to make the pinion gear fully touch the spur gear?

Looking at it closely it also appears your engine mounting is off, it looks twisted to the left. That will eat that spur quick! Check your engine mounting screws, see if you can realign it.

And it may be the picture angle, but is the brake arm close to the spur as well (or something looks close at the top of the spur.)
I think you're right. The more I look at this pic, the more wonky things look. I see missing screws for the transmission case, and it looks like the chassis may be tweaked.

Btw, here's how my linkage is set up.

20210106_131630.jpg

And my return spring...

20210106_131701.jpg

Maybe missing a collar behind the flywheel. Or need to shim behind the flywheel.

Well hells bells! I just realized I lost my throttle return spring! Geez, dodged a bullet here!
1000000358.jpg
1000000359.jpg
1000000360.jpg

And it may be the picture angle, but is the brake arm close to the spur as well (or something looks close at the top of the spur.)
Lol sorry but it is the angle. The spur ends at the brake arm. The blurry thing with the same colour as the spur after the brake arm is just one of my "upgrades"😂

Hi

So what did you end up doing with this?
Shim the clutch bell or shim the spur gear?
From you first photo ,the clutch bell seems to be shimmed enough, as too much shim/spacing between clutch bell and flywheel will make clutch shoes not wear evenly.

I have the same problem on one of my savages, interested to hear what you did.

Thanks

Hi

So what did you end up doing with this?
Shim the clutch bell or shim the spur gear?
From you first photo ,the clutch bell seems to be shimmed enough, as too much shim/spacing between clutch bell and flywheel will make clutch shoes not wear evenly.

I have the same problem on one of my savages, interested to hear what you did.

Thanks
Sadly i've changed my whole flywheel setup since this post so i can't make no photo's anymore. Anyway i do remember that i just shimmed the clutch bell and everything worked fine. At the beginning i thought the same because i could see like 0.7mm of the clutch shoes to the clutch bell, but everything turned out to be perfect🤷🏻‍♂️👍

Sadly i've changed my whole flywheel setup since this post so i can't make no photo's anymore. Anyway i do remember that i just shimmed the clutch bell and everything worked fine. At the beginning i thought the same because i could see like 0.7mm of the clutch shoes to the clutch bell, but everything turned out to be perfect🤷🏻‍♂️👍
I have fixed this yesterday, by shimming behind the flywheel and removing a shim washer at the front.
Worked really good.

Hello, the easiest way to explain will probably be with a picture:View attachment 158175
The pinion gear is not touching the whole spur gear. I can't move the engine forward, only sideways. Is there maybe a other way to make the pinion gear fully touch the spur gear?
That's pretty easy take the spur gear out and at a spacer behind it I do it all the time with my kids

That's pretty easy take the spur gear out and at a spacer behind it I do it all the time with my kids
Everything has a first time🥲 looking back i also think it should've been a piece of cake

Back