Savage X reverse module

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAxelHell

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My savage will drive in reverse ok but when I switch into forward it moves a couple of feet then stops, sometimes it wont go forward at all. It has been suggested that it could be the reverse module linkage setup. I turned the truck over to have a look, but dont really know what I'm looking for, it all seems to move ok, can anyone tell me what should be happening, and if the metal tab thing is supposed to go all the way into the module when in forward?
Thanks

It sounds like you don't have enough throw on your reverse servo or you're missing some of the fuel line tubing on the linkage. There is a stop collar on that linkage with a small section of fuel tubing on either side of the module's lever. If the stop collar loosened up or the fuel tubing is missing it could be preventing it from going back into forward gear properly. The metal slider should fully seat back into the trans.

Here's a photo for you of the linkage, stop collar, and fuel line tubing sections to compare to what's on your truck (or not on it as the case may be!):

build_26.jpg

HTH...
Mark

savage reverse module

It sounds like you don't have enough throw on your reverse servo or you're missing some of the fuel line tubing on the linkage. There is a stop collar on that linkage with a small section of fuel tubing on either side of the module's lever. If the stop collar loosened up or the fuel tubing is missing it could be preventing it from going back into forward gear properly. The metal slider should fully seat back into the trans.

Here's a photo for you of the linkage, stop collar, and fuel line tubing sections to compare to what's on your truck (or not on it as the case may be!):

build_26.jpg

HTH...
Mark
Hi, first of all thanks so much for the information and the picture. I have had another look and compared my truck to your picture. From what I can see it looks the same and nothing feels like its come loose. I'm going to attempt to send 2 pictures of my truck, one in forward and one in reverse, i've never done this before so hopefully it will work.
Could you tell me if you think it looks ok (if the pics come through)
Thanks

Attachments

• savage 001.jpg
    savage 001.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 384
  • savage 002.jpg
    savage 002.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 298
It looks okay, but that doesn't mean it's going far enough.
You need to see if it will travel more in the forward position.
Might be less than 1/8", but that will make the difference.

If you look at the pic I posted (not my rig BTW) you'll notice the forward most stop collar is actually a bit farther away from the bend in the rod, where yours is right at the bend. This might be preventing the rod from pushing the linkage all the way back in. The photo I posted (and I checked my own Savy) has the linkage in just a bit deeper, maybe a 1/1th of an inch. This might be all it needs to engage properly.

Good luck!
Mark

How could I alter this, do those stops collars move or are they fixed?

The little brass colored stop collars have Allen set screws in them. Just loosen the set screw, reposition the stop collar, and then tighten it up. Essentially you'll move the two stop collars and the fuel tubing just a hair towards the rear of the truck to push the lever in more.

HPI86899-2T.gif

Sneak up on it, as you don't want to over-extend the shift rod or the servo arm. A radio with EPA helps too...

Success!

Thankyou so much for your help guys, I moved the stop collars and tubing right to the end of the rod and it works fine now, it amazes me how such a tiny adjustment can make so much difference. Thankyou for the detailed information and pictures, I am very grateful.:)

Sweet! Glad to hear it is working fine for you now. I haven't ran my Savy in a while and when I grabbed it off the shelf last night the front skid was oily. Looks like it's time to rebuild the diffs! LOL

Mark

Back