Generic 280 motor seems to run faster in reverse than forward?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveovington

Jack of all,Master of none !
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this and I couldn't find anything in the search function specifically about this so here goes. I bought this older ecx smash mini monster truck and it didn't come with the remote so I ended up swapping all the electronics and then when I went to test it all I had were my larger batteries but I tried them anyhow and blew the esc and the dynamite 280 motor . I replaced the esc and ordered some generic 280 motors cause they were cheap. 5 for 16 bucks . And I bought 2 mini 2s batteries and it works ok but I'm noticing that it has more initial torque when I hit reverse than it does in forward . I've tried to reverse the wires to the motor and hit the reverse button on the controller but it still goes faster in reverse ? Is this a motor issue or a transmission problem possibly? Anyhow thanks for the help or suggestions in advance .

could be the motor is a reverse rotation motor (from a crawler or something) and it just isnt the right kind of motor. Other than that, i can't really think of anything.
also your throttle trim could be off.

Some pics could help too.

could be the motor is a reverse rotation motor (from a crawler or something) and it just isnt the right kind of motor. Other than that, i can't really think of anything.
also your throttle trim could be off.

Some pics could help too.
I never even knew there was such a thing as a reverse rotation motor. Thanks . And it's really not a huge deal I just noticed it and seemed funny to me . I'm going to order some mini 3s batteries and it won't matter at all then . Lol

I never even knew there was such a thing as a reverse rotation motor. Thanks . And it's really not a huge deal I just noticed it and seemed funny to me . I'm going to order some mini 3s batteries and it won't matter at all then . Lol
i said it could be. I'm only about 25% sure it is. maybe someone more experienced in the motor realm of RC can help you out

It totally sounds legit though now that you said it . My trim can't be out because it's a very simple controller with like 3 knobs on it , one is to adjust the alignment of the front tires the other is forward reverse trim ( and I've turned it both ways and didn't help) and the 3rd one I haven't quite figure what the hell it does because it seems to affect both the steering and the throttle for whatever reason lol. I bought this controller specifically for that truck because I'm sick of having all my trucks on my gt5 and not being able to have more than one of my rc's being used at the same time. Like if a friend or the grandkids come over and want to play 😃 I guess I could put another rx and hook it up to the gt5 and adjust settings that way I dunno. But ty for the info it definitely sounds legit and also I thought maybe because it doesn't have capacitors on it like the dynamite motor had .

Yes there are such called things about reverse rotation motors. I mostly see them on brushed motors in crawlers as most crawlers, on how they are setup, the motor is sitting the opposite direction

You tried flipping around the motor wires, didn't work
You tried reversing the throttle channel on the radio, didn't work
Those are the 2 things I always check for

How about this.
Did you recalibrate the esc to the radio? If not, try to do that, and see if it fixes it. If not, you can go back to flipping around wires and reversing the channel.
If we did all that, and still nothing. It could be a transmission issue possibly. But thats not my department.

Since you said 280, and this is a mini car, guessing this is a brushed motor?
motor realm of RC can help you out
This is minecraft now? Lol 🤣

Yes there are such called things about reverse rotation motors. I mostly see them on brushed motors in crawlers as most crawlers, on how they are setup, the motor is sitting the opposite direction

You tried flipping around the motor wires, didn't work
You tried reversing the throttle channel on the radio, didn't work
Those are the 2 things I always check for

How about this.
Did you recalibrate the esc to the radio? If not, try to do that, and see if it fixes it. If not, you can go back to flipping around wires and reversing the channel.
If we did all that, and still nothing. It could be a transmission issue possibly. But thats not my department.

Since you said 280, and this is a mini car, guessing this is a brushed motor?

This is minecraft now? Lol 🤣
Yup its an ecx smash mini monster truck I think they call them. And ya I've switched the wires because I'm used to that from the element rigs for some reason they're always backwards lol and I've tried the reverse button on the remote. The esc calibrated automatically, I haven't had to do anything with it but turn it on. I'm not even sure how I would do that on this. I'm not real familiar with these little things , but it is a fun little truck and when I had my 3s battery out of my crawler in it with the dynamite motor it was ripping around and actually left burn out marks on my shop floor before blowing up the esc and motor lol hence , I have to order a couple of the small 3s batteries cause ya gotta have at least 2 batteries for each car !!!! Lol

if esc has censure cable? your outa luck.if it does not you cn swap any 2 motor wires and switch throttle direction in radio and your rc will now be faster in fwd than rev.

It could be the ESC calibration. Some ESC's do go slower in reverse than in forward. What ESC are you using?

Last edited:
It could be the ESC calibration. Some ESC's do go slower in reverse than in forward. What ESC are you using?
It's a generic brand I think . I got it off Amazon, it's like a 30amp smaller type esc . I had to take off all the plugs that came with it and put on ones I could actually use , all but the one that goes to the rx had to be modified lol

This one , it's actually 40a I see

Screenshot_20240120_222918_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It looks like that ESC has a switch to control direction.
If you put the switch on F/B (I'm hoping its Forward/Brake) and hit the throttle what direction does your car go in? Forward and brake or Reverse and brake?
Is the F/B switch selection location the fastest speed for the car (the car is going in reverse)?

I'm thinking the forward on the ESC rotates the motor in a direction that makes the car go in reverse.

Back