revo shock oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revomaxx48

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi everyone just wondering what weight shock oil is good to put in my revo so it wont bottom out when i jump but not be too aweful stiff

I run 50 weight in mine and I run stiffer springs also. Mine may be too stiff for you, but I am running 22lb springs on the front and 25lb springs on the rear. The revo is an awesome truck, but the suspension is way too soft out of the box, in my opinion.

In my race truck I run 40 weight oil with silver, blue springs. In my bash truck, I run Blue, purple, with 50 weight oil. I find it to be the perfect set ups for what I do. Oh and P2's on both.

Bryson

You will want your Revo to bottom out some if you are going to be making very large jumps, it will help absorb some of the impact. 40 to 50wt oil will help, some of the spring combos already mentioned will help also. I prefer green or gold springs in the front and tan in the rear with a small amount of preload all around.

imo. bottoming out is not what you want. for every action there is a reaction.. going heavy on the oil my have its drawback in other conditions weather you bash or race. i go 35-45 depending on the track.. BUT, an easy way to get your rig to not bottom out is to take a small peice of fuel line and stick on the outside of the shaft, so that when you hit the ground, right before you bottom out it will hit the fuel tubing.. you will have to experiment with lengths, couse you dont want to limit the amount of working travel eather. you want it so when you push down on the chassis it doesn't rub on the ground, but is very close

imo. bottoming out is not what you want. for every action there is a reaction.. going heavy on the oil my have its drawback in other conditions weather you bash or race. i go 35-45 depending on the track.. BUT, an easy way to get your rig to not bottom out is to take a small peice of fuel line and stick on the outside of the shaft, so that when you hit the ground, right before you bottom out it will hit the fuel tubing.. you will have to experiment with lengths, couse you dont want to limit the amount of working travel eather. you want it so when you push down on the chassis it doesn't rub on the ground, but is very close

The Revo comes with bump stops on the shock shafts. I am sort of curious if you have a Revo or ever owned one ? The suspension on the Revo isn't the same as most RC's.

The Revo comes with bump stops on the shock shafts. I am sort of curious if you have a Revo or ever owned one ? The suspension on the Revo isn't the same as most RC's.
there is no reason for your sarcasm!! the bump stops are too low. and only work after the suspension arm has extended past the chassis... the first letter in my quote are IMO!! that mean in my opinion!!.. i have 2 revos!

revode-ano2003.jpg

revode-ano2004.jpg

revode-ano2009.jpg

happy!!! smart@@s

Most people buy the Revo due to the suspension travel it has, limiting the travel by making the bump stop on the shock shaft larger will cause the shock to absorb all of the impact in turn can cause breakage. It is easier to replace worn skid plates in my opinion.

I agree with you Hillfinger. Skid plates are cheap and easy to get to. It will not hurt to bottom out, as long as you are not falling from extreme heights. If you are still concerned with bottoming out, get aluminum skid plates, they will take a beating.

As far as tubing on the shock rods... I believe most people that will do this mod will remove the factory bump stops. Just be sure to keep the tubing short enough to keep plenty of suspension travel. If the tubing is too long, you will transfer all of the force directly to the shocks, not a good thing. Lengthening the bump stops will help, but dont go too far with it.

"you want it so when you push down on the chassis it doesn't rub on the ground, but is very close"... good advice from ITASLIFEWORTHLIVING.

Last edited:
Back