Revo 3.3 Broken Clutch Bell?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 09C8DD54-A5C2-4742-97CB-634565876B05.jpeg
    09C8DD54-A5C2-4742-97CB-634565876B05.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 158

Ah...

I remember years ago when I had a Duratrax street force ,I forgot to put the screw in the throttle horn an the horn popped
off the servo an caused the throttle stick wide open ,an it fried my clutch!

I went down to the local HS an they didnt have one for the street force but had one for the Losi car ,but it did not quite
fit right an they ground some off the ends an made it fit!
I think they had rounded the ends off where it hinges on the fly wheel ,so where yours is squared on the ends ,may have
got in a bind an caused it to blow out the end!

Ah...

I remember years ago when I had a Duratrax street force ,I forgot to put the screw in the throttle horn an the horn popped
off the servo an caused the throttle stick wide open ,an it fried my clutch!

I went down to the local HS an they didnt have one for the street force but had one for the Losi car ,but it did not quite
fit right an they ground some off the ends an made it fit!
I think they had rounded the ends off where it hinges on the fly wheel ,so where yours is squared on the ends ,may have
got in a bind an caused it to blow out the end!
Well, I guess that definitely could be a possibility but considering that since those loose ends of the clutch shoes swing outward and away from the ends that are fixed that are attached to the flywheel on those pegs, I just can’t see how something bound up. Maybe it did, I dunno but I think I’m still standing firm on the fact that since that green shaded area in the pic below is the first teeny tiny little thing that stands between the torque of the motor. and the power to the wheels, finally gave way and that the more I think about it, I’m almost pretty certain that the fairly hard driving I was doing the other day with those much bigger and heavier tires I had, was probably what did it in. But then again, I’ve read that a lot of people are breaking those clutches that way and that turning the new set around so that the pegs press into the much stronger part of the shoe, it almost completely eliminates the problem and it creates a lot less slippage.

Attachments

• 530D1CCC-682B-47D1-9E4A-8CAA1D02281A.jpeg
    530D1CCC-682B-47D1-9E4A-8CAA1D02281A.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 144
I don't think it will bind up if your using it on a traxxas engine with the traxxas flywheel nut. Their nut is thin, so the shoes shouldn't hit it. On others, they use a fatter nut, so the shoes may make contact on those as they swing out.

I don't think it will bind up if your using it on a traxxas engine with the traxxas flywheel nut. Their nut is thin, so the shoes shouldn't hit it. On others, they use a fatter nut, so the shoes may make contact on those as they swing out.
Not saying he was but I figured he was saying the binding was occurring right there between the fixed end of the one shoe and the loose end of the other shoe right below it....

My first RC was the Traxxas Tmaxx. It ran almost daily and it ran hard in all conditions. I never had a clutch shoe break or even wear out in the time I had it. I'm just saying, it happens but that doesn't mean it's a defect or a problem. It broke. No biggie, just get a new pair of shoes.
By reversing the shoes to give a snappier response just increases the chances of breaking something else. The current design is tried and true for over 15 years, now.

My first RC was the Traxxas Tmaxx. It ran almost daily and it ran hard in all conditions. I never had a clutch shoe break or even wear out in the time I had it. I'm just saying, it happens but that doesn't mean it's a defect or a problem. It broke. No biggie, just get a new pair of shoes.
By reversing the shoes to give a snappier response just increases the chances of breaking something else. The current design is tried and true for over 15 years, now.
Well, reading this sure leaves me in quite the predicament because you are literally the first person to say you’ve ran your shoes correctly installed and have never had one break. I’ve read quite a few responses from other people that have broke them properly installed and flipping them over puts an abrupt end to that. Oh what shall I do? I’m not really looking to increase the bite, I just don’t wanna have to keep replacing a broke centrifugal clutch. I’m not even really all that hard on mine, which makes it awful hard to place blame on me for roughness.

To be honest, I can't remember the last set of teflon shoes I had break like you did. I ran the same set in my jato for it's entire life as nitro and don't recall ever changing them. I used to run them back in my t-maxx days and don't recall having them break either. My only issues were once I upgraded the engine to a big block (or 18TM or 21TM), they slipped too much, they would melt, cook the bell and boil the oil out of the bearings. So I'd usually switch to a 1/8th clutch setup by moving the transmission. I ran HPI Savage 3 shoe carbon/teflon shoes for a very long time. Granted, different design, wider shoe, but still, they held up for a year or so at a time before they would wear down and need replaced.

I never had any break either ,but it appeared that that one had got in a bind ,maybe it flexed too far or something ,
but what ever the case ,in the world of this RC hobby ,stuff happens weather it was a factory defect or stress issue!....:cool:

To be honest, I can't remember the last set of teflon shoes I had break like you did. I ran the same set in my jato for it's entire life as nitro and don't recall ever changing them. I used to run them back in my t-maxx days and don't recall having them break either. My only issues were once I upgraded the engine to a big block (or 18TM or 21TM), they slipped too much, they would melt, cook the bell and boil the oil out of the bearings. So I'd usually switch to a 1/8th clutch setup by moving the transmission. I ran HPI Savage 3 shoe carbon/teflon shoes for a very long time. Granted, different design, wider shoe, but still, they held up for a year or so at a time before they would wear down and need replaced.

Hmm. So what are you saying, it coulda just been an “outta the blue” thing that mine broke? Is it possible that the combination of running it hard with much bigger/heavier tires that probably did it in? I mean, I really don’t know how much larger over stock I can go in a set of tires before stuff like this seems to inadvertently happen without compensating for it by gear reduction but, I dunno, it’s starting to become harder and harder to unwrap my mind around the fact that putting those bigger tires on was probably was a mistake which is why needless to say, I’m just gonna stick with the tire size that came on it with the exception of my large tires that I found out came factory on the Summit but they’re really light though, and they’re really soft and squishy so I don’t think they’ll be too much of a concern.

But after talking to a RC buddy of mine, I may just put the new shoes on the same way the old ones came off.

Hmm. So what are you saying, it coulda just been an “outta the blue” thing that mine broke? Is it possible that the combination of running it hard with much bigger/heavier tires that probably did it in? I mean, I really don’t know how much larger over stock I can go in a set of tires before stuff like this seems to inadvertently happen without compensating for it by gear reduction but, I dunno, it’s starting to become harder and harder to unwrap my mind around the fact that putting those bigger tires on was probably was a mistake which is why needless to say, I’m just gonna stick with the tire size that came on it with the exception of my large tires that I found out came factory on the Summit but they’re really light though, and they’re really soft and squishy so I don’t think they’ll be too much of a concern.

But after talking to a RC buddy of mine, I may just put the new shoes on the same way the old ones came off.

I went back an re-read your first post ,you had mentioned 10 years old ,well ,age & heat will eventually take
its toll on some parts an make them brittle ,so that may play a part in this issue!...:cool:

I went back an re-read your first post ,you had mentioned 10 years old ,well ,age & heat will eventually take
its toll on some parts an make them brittle ,so that may play a part in this issue!...:cool:
I guess that’s a heavy possibility too, I just never would’ve thought that being in storage for so long would’ve affected Certain parts like that. My original Talon tires dstill had lots of tread left on them but, they were pretty well dry rotted on the side walls so that’s why they had to get replaced. Keeping axle boots and bolts white boots from rotting out is been another chore.

I guess that’s a heavy possibility too, I just never would’ve thought that being in storage for so long would’ve affected Certain parts like that. My original Talon tires dstill had lots of tread left on them but, they were pretty well dry rotted on the side walls so that’s why they had to get replaced. Keeping axle boots and bolts white boots from rotting out is been another chore.

I am having the same issues on all of my tires on all of my RC's ,that is a lot of tires to replace just to run them ,however ,
I will only run a couple of them this spring ,I will have to replace about 3 sets including a set of 5 th scale!...:doh:

You make it seem as though the clutch shoes break constantly. One broke. Again, it happens. If you think nothing should ever break when we run our rigs you'll be sorely disappointed. You won't be the first one who ever changed the tire size, so that's not the issue. There really is no issue, just part of the hobby involves repairing or replacing things that wear out or break.

You make it seem as though the clutch shoes break constantly. One broke. Again, it happens. If you think nothing should ever break when we run our rigs you'll be sorely disappointed. You won't be the first one who ever changed the tire size, so that's not the issue. There really is no issue, just part of the hobby involves repairing or replacing things that wear out or break.

So am I wrong to think that if I would’ve ran my car as much as I have within the first two or three months of owning it and I had a broken clutch shoe to think that there might be an issue? Because one could really say that that’s pretty much what it amounts to. The only reason it happened over 10 years later is because I haven’t ran this car all that much but if I had ran this car the whole lot more than I did after I got it, who’s to say this wouldn’t have happened a whole lot sooner equivalently?

But yes, I know things are going to break. And I know I’m not the first one to put oversize tires on an RC car but how many people that have put oversize tires on their cars have just slapped them on there and not done it correctly by modifying certain parts of their drivetrain to where they can run those large tires without tearing stuff up? It’s just like with a full-size pick up for example. You put great big ole heavy 37 inch tall tires on there and you don’t do any kind of gear reduction to bring your gear ratio back up to where it was, you’re probably going to be burning through transmissions left and tight, and burning through U-joints.

But like I said, it might’ve been those large tires I had that caused all this. We might not even be having this conversation right now if I would’ve known that before I bought those great big tires.

But I’m not saying the clutches break constantly. I’m just simply saying that I’ve read through a lot of forums where people have stated they’ve broken their clutches and continue to break their clutches until they put them on that other way and they no longer have the problem. If I put my new clutch on the wrong way, does that guarantee that I’ll never have a problem anymore? There’s no way to say and I’m not trying to act like that’ll automatically cure my problem. I’m just trying to gather as much information as I can for making my own decision about do I want to put them on how they go, or do I want to flip them over and put them on in a way that a lot of people seem to do that don’t have any issues.

That' doesn't really counter the info you've found regarding others having similar issues, however, traxxas's entire line of vehicles caters heavily to people new to the hobby. Many of which don't even know what a clutch is or what it does. Driving through tall grass, adding huge tires, gearing to the moon, feathering the throttle constantly, stars weren't aligned properly... the list goes on as to the reasons why they wear out and/or break seemingly prematurely. Many of the reasons are things new people that don't understand things do.

Not saying your new to nitro, just saying perhaps your finding info from many who are.

In the end... it's a lot of concern over an $8 part. Try it. If it works, leave it. If it doesn't, try something else. :)

Personally, regardless of what truck I had, I always had a spare set of shoes on hand as well as spare CB bearings and glow plugs. I've always considered them a throw away items that wear out or break, sometimes inexplicably premature and sometimes they seem to last forever considering the abuse they go through.

Back