returning to RC racing (offroad electric)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank I'm beyond excited to get it. My question is that almost all these racers and anyone competitively doing this like I intend on has the 160a esc 95% or more have that hobbywing xr10 160a and it's calling my name not gonna lie I've thought about buying it and your input has me wondering big time now

Well look at it this way, if you have the funds, there's really no downside to having the stronger amp esc and you can always use it in another vehicle down the line if you decide to get into the 4wd stuff or whatever. ;) I always make my recommendations based with a budget in mind. ;)

I'm buying a brand new futaba 3pv today new in box from someone near by.

i read online about the receiver for this not being as fast as the 4pv? can someone let me know what the problem is if any with buying this and the receiver? seems poopy that they are selling products people online are claiming are sub par but no mention of this stuff. hopefully its just them nit picking and not an actual problem. otherwise ill have to dish out another 45-$50 on a different receiver for radio it seems.

got the 3pv brand new in hand, to my surprise the kit I ordered will be delivered tomorrow meaning i have the whole weekend to play around building it. WOOHOO how exciting! i need to pickout a servo stat.

nice trophy with your truck ;) also nice car

the guy i got the 3pv from says he has a "few more" lol so i may scoop another one at $80 brand new not a bad price. i had the old school futaba radios back in the day and they had no lcd what soever , the radio functioned just fine and i was able to race and compete with all the big boys. it seems like the features on a lot of these radios are "COOL" but not needed 99% of the time if ever.

You'd be surprised what options you'll find yourself using just out of convenience on those things that will save you a lot of time and fiddling with your actual car during warm ups and/or between races. Right now I'm using the cheap tactic 300 radio/receiver in my buggy and need to replace it with a proper radio. I just wanted something cheap to get on the track ASAP when I got my roller and I was already used to it as it's the same radio that came RTR with my Talion 1/8 scale. I'll be upgrading for sure in the near future and getting decent receivers for both but I had to buy my first crawler (the new Team Associated Enduro trail truck) this month instead ;)
Welcome to your new addiction! Won't be long before you have a fleet of your own, lol.

You'd be surprised what options you'll find yourself using just out of convenience on those things that will save you a lot of time and fiddling with your actual car during warm ups and/or between races. Right now I'm using the cheap tactic 300 radio/receiver in my buggy and need to replace it with a proper radio. I just wanted something cheap to get on the track ASAP when I got my roller and I was already used to it as it's the same radio that came RTR with my Talion 1/8 scale. I'll be upgrading for sure in the near future and getting decent receivers for both but I had to buy my first crawler (the new Team Associated Enduro trail truck) this month instead ;)
Welcome to your new addiction! Won't be long before you have a fleet of your own, lol.
i find the tactic 300 system is really comfortable, i just wish it had model memory lol, alot to ask out of an RTR radio, though if they made a version of it with model memory that would be awesome! one of the biggest things i like is the receiver size, and no antenna. but the steering knob feels very smooth. grip is nice, no sharp edges to give blisters etc.
switched over to the FlySky GT3C so i wouldn't have to have 8 tactic controllers to store lol.

no antenna that seems to be a big problem for a lot of people or bickering anyways. am i going to run into any issues having a receiver with an antenna" if theres anything I should prep for this please letm eknow. thanks again! still on the hunt for what servo would be excellent for carpet 2wd stadium truck racing

what options are you talking about using to save time?

shouldnt run into any issues with having an antenna, they are about 1/8th the length they used to be for the most part, i liked not having any antenna on the one i had as i didnt have to put another hole in the body, and dont have to worry about lining the antenna up in the hole when installing the body, and dont have to worry about the antenna cap thing ripping off when you take the body off. also is one less thing to get damaged from wear and tear.
in short, it is a personal preference, will not affect running, and with the TX receivers being non-existent anymore, don't have to worry about sword-fighting with your neighboring racer, or worry about bending/breaking it.

what radio do you run? i forgot bout the antenna issues, in short I could find a different futaba receiver that works with this has NO antenna and does telemetry ?? any suggestions :)

what options are you talking about using to save time?

Throttle and brake adjustments for example instead of having to re-program them in the esc itself and can be done "on the fly" while you're up on the driver stand warming up before a race or during practice if your radio has those features.

How much are you looking to spend on a servo? I personally like Savox servos. They seem very reliable to me so far and they have a good range of hi-speed servos at decent prices. I use one in my 1/8 scale truggy.

https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/high-speed

Something like the https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/high-speed/products/savsc1258tg-std-size-coreless-digital is a great 2wd starter or if you wanna dump some cash, https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/high-speed/products/savsb2292sg-monster-performance-black

When you look at the servo specs such as speed and torque and it has different voltages, this is determined by the ESC you get and it will be listed in the ESC specifications.
For example, I have this Tekin ESC in my Buggy. It's a simple spec racer esc with no timing settings (you will want those if you plan on going Mod classes in the future):
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekin-rs-gen3-spec-sensored-brushless-esc-tektt1157/p972038

Notice under specs it has the BEC output:

I personally use this Protek servo in my 2wd buggy. It's what came in it when I bought the used roller and it's good enough for me.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...uper-speed-metal-gear-servo-ptk-100ss/p253591

Not the best out there but it's served me pretty well so far.
Notice how it has 2 sets of torque and speed settings. One for 4.8v and one for 6v. being my ESC above is listed as having a 6v BEC, I get the highlighted performance out of it.

More expensive ESCs have up to a 7.4v BEC (Like the 160amp Hobbywing xr10 you were looking at) and you can get a "hi-voltage" servo like the Monster Black Savox I linked above which will have even more torque and speed as it can run on those higher voltages.

Again I hate to sound like a broken record, but ask the guys at the track what they are using and how they like them. It's fine to show up without a car and just spectate for the day, meet the regulars, and get some info/recommendations from them, and maybe help corner marshal some races. You'll have to learn that as well as some tracks require you to marshal the race after yours is finished on club race nights. Both of the ones I frequent do and it's just good track etiquette anyways. ;) Plus it's fun.
here's a Stadium truck race from a few weeks ago, I'm the guy marshalling the big "time warp" jump in the brown shirt, far back left corner. :)

I hope this is all making sense :)

I'm not sure where to find a "charging cord" that plugs into the 3pv or any futaba remote to charge the life pack as it mentions? i know you could just charge the pack with a charger sep but i would like to utilize the charge slot if possible.. any ideas? surprised it doesn't mention what to do in the manual :(

ya i planned on taking my son to go saturday :) or possibly friday night not sure yet.

I've marshaled before as i used to race and spent every single weekend there for a good year or two from opening to close. i loved rc i still do its like a passion that just re ignited !

i will checkout the servos you mentioned my goal was to find 3 options all similar in excellent torque/quality voltage so i could shop around places and or ebay looking for a deal!

Protek, Reedy, Hi-tec, Savox, Tekin, all good servo companies to look at.

I'm not sure where to find a "charging cord" that plugs into the 3pv or any futaba remote to charge the life pack as it mentions? i know you could just charge the pack with a charger sep but i would like to utilize the charge slot if possible.. any ideas? surprised it doesn't mention what to do in the manual :(

If you contact Futaba support directly I'm sure they can tell you the part number to search for or what retailers carry what you need.
[email protected]

also mylaps seems ot be the brand "transponder" my track runs or sells . any opinions on buying one of these?

my build will begin tomorrow do i need any locktite or super glue for the install? trying to figure out what i can get ahead of time so i dont get slowed down when the build starts :)

my build will begin tomorrow do i need any locktite or super glue for the install? trying to figure out what i can get ahead of time so i dont get slowed down when the build starts :)

Blue loctite yes, superglue most likely not except maybe for wings? Tire glue/ca glue definitely for obvious reasons. Wait does your kit have wheels and tires pre-mounted? Or you getting separately?

Back